Some advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medstudenta1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am planning to apply some of carrib med schools for the semester of aug. I have already taken all the pre-med requisites.
My grades so far

Chm 1-A
Chm 2-B
Bio 1 - A
Bio 2- A
Calculus-B
English-A
Physics1- B
Physics2- C
Org Chm 1-C
Org chm 2- ended up with D:(

I have taken other science courses so far. In anatomy and physiology, I got an A, cell biology a B and a micro course but ended up with a D in it :( and others as well.
Haven't taken the MCAT yet! But plan to take it in summer.

Should I retake the Org Chm 2 or will it count as it is.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Physics1- B
Physics2- C
Org Chm 1-C
Org chm 2- ended up with D:(

a micro course but ended up with a D in it :( and others as well.
Haven't taken the MCAT yet! But plan to take it in summer.

I am going to come at this from an interviewers perspective.

With a desire to go to medical school you must be realistic with your ability to succeed when put under tremendous pressure. Having been through pre-med coursework, I know that O chem and micro and physics are very tough courses. That being said, if you cant manage to get atleast a B in those courses, then you will have trouble managing the rigorous courseload in Med school. In med school, you need excellent study habits and time management skills to achieve a strong GPA.

If there was simply one C grade, then perhaps you could write it off and explain your deficiency for that course.

IMO it will be very difficult for you to write off the numerous sub-par grades in tough yet significant pre-med courses. I would read this as weak study skills. I could also read this as an average work ethic. NOT a GOOD impression to make.

Your GPA in these premed courses will be severely effected by those two D's. You cannot hide them from the admissions committees.
You will have to explain yourself. Ask yourself what lead to those low grades.

I cant imagine squashing your desire to become a doc. Its not in my nature. But i ask you to figure out how you will improve upon this. Repeating courses is certainly necessary at this point. An above avg MCAT score is also important, which requires strong study habits. You need to work on your core problems whether they be time mgmnt, study skills, or weak desire!

If its the latter then it will reflect in your personal statement as well as your interview.

Forget going to med school this august! Repeat coursework that is integral to your medical education/training. Dont WASTE the time and the money attending a sub-par CARIB MED SCHOOL. YOU WILL BECOME A STATISTIC!

rlxdmd

I am sorry that I came across as rude and abrasive. I am speaking to you as if you were my kid brother/sister.

Good luck!

rlxdmd

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey no prob,
thank you for your honest advice. Will certainly take those under consideration :)

Please feel free to PM me if you have specific concerns about admissions.

rlxdmd