Some advice please!!!HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calipaww

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so i just got my first acceptance! Horay! and my first instinct is to quit my job and take off! problems: my acceptance is not at my first choice school! so do you guys think i should quit??in two months?? i have already gotten a letter of rec! i just feel like i dont want to waste the time i have to enjoy myself. i am a 2nd time applicant and boy has it been a long long road. its time to have fun !!! right???? but i do feel guilty!

my second question is with my new letter of rec. some of the schools are still considering my application post interview. should i hold on to this rec just in case i get waitlisted or submit it to be part of my application right now in hopes that it will get in before they review my apllication ?

HELP!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Carbon

And, of course, I'm sure there are those who disagree with everything I've said. :)

Actually, I totally agree. :D

BTW, calipaww, Congrats!!!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Its always extra good to hear about a fellow re-applicant getting in.

bumpity bump.. any other words of wisdom? thanks for the repies so far:)))

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations. :clap:

I can only imagine what you must be going through. I also work right now (full-time) and dream about quitting my job the day I receive an acceptance. But then, I realize all the debts I still have and come back down to Earth.

I would hold off on quitting work also. Unless you have another source of income or bundles of money saved up, there's not much enjoyment in being broke.

Another option would be to go part-time at work. This way, you can have an income and enjoy the extra free-time.

Good luck!

Can you financially afford to quit? Then go ahead and do it and have fun! Staying on for a couple more months won't help your resume. And you won't get a break for many years to come, so enjoy a break now. ;)

Originally posted by calipaww
Okay so i just got my first acceptance! Horay! and my first instinct is to quit my job and take off! problems: my acceptance is not at my first choice school! so do you guys think i should quit??in two months?? i have already gotten a letter of rec! i just feel like i dont want to waste the time i have to enjoy myself. i am a 2nd time applicant and boy has it been a long long road. its time to have fun !!! right???? but i do feel guilty!

my second question is with my new letter of rec. some of the schools are still considering my application post interview. should i hold on to this rec just in case i get waitlisted or submit it to be part of my application right now in hopes that it will get in before they review my apllication ?

HELP!!!!

I totally understand what you're going through. I also just received my medical school acceptance from my top choice the week before Thanksgiving and I totally felt like quitting. I'm still giddy about getting in and all, but I realized I'd get bored if I just bum around for the next 8 months.

It really depends on your work environment. I actually
really enjoy my job, where I am an Quality Analyst
at a well-known biotech company. The med school where I will attend offers an M.D./M.B.A program and I'm thinking of also doing the M.B.A. (you apply after your first year of med school), so I'm taking advantage of the opportunities at work like making presentations to upper management and leading problem-solving sessions regarding the manufacturing processes of the proteins. My supervisor, the managers, and the director really loves\ me and I know they would give me excellent recommendations should I apply to the M.B.A. program.

Also, I really enjoy the financial stability I have now, helping my parents out with their bills, and all the money I'm saving. I think it'll be worth it to keep on working, so at least I'll save enough money to pay for my apartment, books, and food during the next four years without having to take up too much loans. I'm planning to quit though like 2 months before med school starts so i could rest for at least a couple of weeks.

So my advice is, if you're boss is a prick and you really don't need to save any more money than you already have, then by all means quit your job. But if you enjoy your job and like to save money, then maybe just work a couple of more months and then quit like in the spring time.

Congrats on your acceptance! yipeeeeeeeee!

I didn't really understand your LOR situation

Congrats on your acceptance, calipaww! :clap: (where btw, may i ask?) Though the same hasn't happened for me yet, i've been thinking @ that also since I would love to take off & travel for @ a month next year. Guess it depends on whether you've already interviewed @ most of your favorite schools & how far along you are w/ the app process. Also, would you attend this school if things don't work out elsewhere?

B/c of my financial situation, i wouldn't be able to quit my job. Also, i'd like to work as much as i can this year to save up for med school expenses. Maybe your work will allow you some time off, an alternative to quitting if you need the $$? While you're away, you can ask family/friends to alert you of any med school mail. Hope it works out for ya!

First of all, CONGRATS on your acceptance calipaww! Very cool ! :clap:

Like Nefertari, may I ask where? If it's not your first choice and you're not for sure if you're going to attend school if you don't get into a top choice, I would definitely *not* quit now. It all depends on your situation.

Also, congrats to you too, IvyLeague22NY. First choice? Yeah! :clap:

Congrats, calipaww :clap:

We're all gonna be poor for a good long while anyways, so I don't see anything wrong with taking some time off work, but would you be able to manage until next August if you quit now?

My advice would be to do what I'm doing: work through the winter and spring, then take all summer off to play. That way you'll be able to save up a bit of cash and be able to play for two long months without worrying about money.

And where are you going?