Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Some advice please...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by holler79, Jun 11, 2002.

1. holler79

holler79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Here's my deal:

I applied to 33 schools for 2002 and was only interviewed at 1 school where I am now being considered for a spot on the wait list (the school has not yet made the alternate list). I have a 3.7 GPA but only a 25 on the MCAT and I've taken the test three times. I have good EC's, I'm working at a great hospital in Manhattan doing clinical research, and I have real good letters of rec. Obviously, I'm still holding out hope for acceptance this year but I need some advice on what to do if I don't get in. I really don't think I can take the MCAT a fourth time. In terms of reapplying, should I do so now or wait till August when I should definitely know if I got off the wait list? I am not going to apply to D.O. schools because I just don't agree with the philosophy. I really want to be a physician so I'm not just going to quit.

Those of you who have any advice, it'd be much appreciated--especially from those in similar situations that pulled it Off! thanks

2. xoomn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Man, you gotta take that darn test again. You have to increase your score to have a better chance of getting in. I got a 27 and I was waitlisted in MCV and reject from 6 other schools. I hope that it comes through for you but if not man, just study right now and get ready for the august mcats. :)

3. charleb11

charleb11 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

You should contact the adcoms of some of the schools that you applied to and ask what you can do to strengthen your application. A lot of the times the Dean will even meet with you if you want him to. Then take their advice and apply again.

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I think the OP knows what is wrong with the app...it's the MCAT! What was the score breakdown? What do you think your problem is with the test?

5. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm in a similar situation as you. I took the MCAT 3 times and my last score was a 28. This past year was the first time I applied, and I applied to about the same number of schools as you did and got 2 interviews were I'm still being considered. I just don't think that my 28 is going to help me very much, although it might not hurt me too much either, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to take the MCAT over again this August. Its really hard to get interviews and acceptances without breaking a 30, although its still quite possible. Getting a 30 or higher, even after taking it 4 times is better than having a lower score.

Therefore, if I were in your shoes I would take the MCAT again, at least start preparing for it now even though you are still waiting on that one school, so that come August you will be ready to kick butt, just in case you don't get in. But, I'm sure good news will be coming soon. Good luck! :cool:

6. holler79

holler79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

MCAT breakdown:

Verbal: 9, 5, 8
    Physical: 8, 8, 8
    Bio: 8, 7, 9

I really don't know what my problem is. The first time I took it I probably shouldn't have because I was really sick with pneumonia (25) but the second time I felt real prepared but ended up with a 20, and last summer I decided to take it again but with only a month to study and got a 25 again. I took Kaplan twice, I even worked for them. Maybe because when I took the exam I was working full-time and in school. I was really hoping on getting in without having to take the test again. Does it really look bad to take it four times? What if I don't improve? I have friends who got in with less than 25.

7. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

How about the carribean?

I think you should apply to DO schools... I'm pretty sure that their philosophiy is not so much a part of their curriculum anymore. From what I hear, they're just like MD schools.

8. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc
    7+ Year Member

If you really want to physician and you don't think your going to get into Allopathic schools, I would apply to DO schools.

Have you ever shadowed a DO. I bet you haven't. What kind of medicine do you think they practice, hocus pocus. I bet if you didn't see their name tag you couldn't tell the difference. Especially, if the DO has specialized.

Since I believe in the DO philosphy I would hate to tell you to apply to DO schools. I hate to see when people bad mouth a philosphy. You don't have to agree completely.

But if you really want it, become a DO get your degree then apply to MD schools that way you don't have to use DO after your name.

AK

9. encee

encee Member
    7+ Year Member

holler79:

I want to PM you, but you gotta change your profile to do so.

encee

10. holler79

holler79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have thought about going to Carribean schools or a school in Ireland. However, physicians I work with who have been real supportive urge me not to go offshore...at least not until I reapply to US schools. They sit on the committees that interview candidates for residency slots and at least in two specialties they gave me examples of (General Surgery and OB/GYN) international med school applicants were not even interviewed.

For the record: I DO NOT LOOK DOWN ON D.O.'S. I actually have shadowed a D.O. and visited NYCOM. It's not about the title, but whether or not people believe this D.O.'s are limited in some specialty areas.

I appreciate all the feedback...this is my first SDN posting experience.

11. EMTgirl

EMTgirl Member
    7+ Year Member

Have you considered a one-year master's program? I know that programs at certain schools (Finch, MCP) kind of "feed-in" to their med schools. This is an expensive option for you, but it would prevent you from having to study/take the MCAT again. You can even apply now to master's programs that start this fall so you don't lose a lot of time. But I can't imagine being in a graduate program and also applying to med school. If I were you, I would just try and take the MCAT again...but you will need to suck it up, take time off from work, and study your ass off. You need to somehow break a 25 if you want to get in without doing anything else to your app.

12. Doc AdamK in 2006

Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc
    7+ Year Member

Holler:

I guess I lost the bet.
    Well I do agree that you will have more flexibility as a MD. However 45% of DO are specialized. So, All I'm saying if you want it bad, bit the bullet and apply.

AK

13. relatively prime

relatively prime post happy member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Doc AdamK in 2006:
    <strong>Holler:

I guess I lost the bet.
    Well I do agree that you will have more flexibility as a MD. However 45% of DO are specialized. So, All I'm saying if you want it bad, bit the bullet and apply.

AK</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">AMEN to that! :)

14. altaskier

altaskier Altaholics Anonymous 92'
    7+ Year Member

You can do two things

1) Reapply and apply to double the schools (say 60 or so). I say this assuming you really don't want to take the MCAT again.

2) Or take the MCAT again. But this time, study for it like a mad man. Study 1 whole year and take the april exam. In the meantime, work or something too.

I'd do #2

15. Mr.D

Mr.D insipidus maximus
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Since you're on a waitlist write a very strong letter of interest/intent, and at the same time begin studying for the August MCAT right now. Suspend your job for a few months if you can, but definitely put all of your time and dedication toward the exam, it's your saving grace. Your GPA and ECs are fine but IMO you MUST retake the MCAT if you're planning on reapplying. Good luck.

16. bellaludwig

bellaludwig Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

My first year applying I applied to 32 schools and didn't get any interviews. I had a 27 on the MCAT and not a lot of hospital experience. I retook the MCAT (in August) after talking to a dean of admissions and got a 30 by just practicing test taking. Some schools don't like it if you take the MCAT more than 3 times and I think you have to get special permission to do so. But what I mean to say, is you have other thigs going for you. Apply again, maybe take a year off, which is something I considered before I finally got my first acceptance. Sometimes it helps to get some distance. I am sure that a higher MCAT score will help you, but it's not the only thing that you can do. I have heard that DO is the way to go if you're really not getting into MD schools. See if you can get one that you have worked with write you a letter. Whatever you do, good luck!

17. FunkDoc

FunkDoc Daddy Mack
    10+ Year Member

i say apply asap to MD schools (and also DO schools) early in this upcoming cycle. also, take the mcat again (if you get the special permission granted) and SCORE BETTER. do whatever it takes, take time off, take princeton review, whatever.

and hopefully by august, you'll get in off that wait list.

good luck.

holla!

18. holler79

holler79 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thank you all for your feedback...I am letting it all sink in!

Encee, I changed my profile so you can PM me if you like.