Some advice please..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nali1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a Junior and application time is soon approaching.. I have a 2.5 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA, pretty good extracurriculars, strong letters of rec and I'm planning on taking the MCAT on June 17th. My question is, with a decent score one the MCAT (27-30) should I graduate Spring '11 and apply to post-bacc/SMPs (and very lightly to DO schools) this summer or should I wait to graduate and retake some of the pre-med courses I got a C in and apply NEXT cycle

Also, what post-bacc/SMPs do you think I have the best shot at given my current circumstances?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a Junior and application time is soon approaching.. I have a 2.5 sGPA and 3.2 cGPA, pretty good extracurriculars, strong letters of rec and I'm planning on taking the MCAT on June 17th. My question is, with a decent score one the MCAT (27-30) should I graduate Spring '11 and apply to post-bacc/SMPs (and very lightly to DO schools) this summer or should I wait to graduate and retake some of the pre-med courses I got a C in and apply NEXT cycle

Also, what post-bacc/SMPs do you think I have the best shot at given my current circumstances?

Thanks!

Bump

Thanks!

I'll give this a shot.

You're currently a Junior which means you have an entire year ahead of you to improve your sGPA which is your glaring problem. You're also seem to be aiming for osteopathic school which will take retaken grades as a replacement over your troubled prior ones. You also haven't taken the MCAT which could potentially move me to advise you take one choice over the other.

These are things that you would need to do prior to applying anywhere:

-Take the MCAT
-Retake science classes that you did poorly in
-Have at least 2-3 upper division sciences (microbiology, anatomy, physiology etc) with a B+ or an A
-Get good LOR (1-2 from faculty and 1 from a physician minimum)
-Make sure you have a solid background in clinical activities

I really can't tell you what would be best for you because I'm having trouble believing that you can handle so much at such a compressed and accelerated pace given your science track record.

I would focus on studying for the MCAT during your summer while trying to get involved in any clinical activities. If you start immediately after your spring quarter ends and before the fall quarter begins, it would give you a bit more than 3 months to prepare and take the MCAT. With a score in hand, it would give you a better idea of what you are capable of doing with one year left. Options would be either be a) retaking two quarters worth of science courses during your fall and winter quarters and applying midway into the winter into low level DO SMPs or just taking upper division sciences while keeping on pace for graduation. You can use the year that you have after graduating to prepare and take the MCAT, do clinical activities, retake classes so you have a more respectable sGPA to apply to osteopathic SMPs/post-bacc.

Ones off the top of my head that would have acceptance criteria with linkages that may fit what you are aiming for are LECOM post bacc, AZCOM MBA/MA and CCOM MBS. Some others that might be harder to get into but have great acceptance rates/linkages NSU MBS, Touro NV MHS, ATSU-KCOM MBS, and TCOM MBS (unless you're a TX resident).

Members don't see this ad :)
27-30 is a below average score on the MCAT. I'd aim for above average especially because of your low GPA.

27-30 is a below average score on the MCAT. I'd aim for above average especially because of your low GPA.

I thought 30 was an avg score and you need anything above 34 for allopathic medical school?

Drizzt's right but in general, just do the best that you can, shoot for the highest and not try and worry about a definite score in mind that you have to meet.

For osteopathic school, averages for MCAT are significantly lower than that for allopathic and for osteopathic SMPs they are a bit lower than osteopathic school averages. Long story short, for most but not all DO SMPs, a 28-30 will probably be comfortable but if you have a low GPA i would tend to up that at least 1-2 pts higher.

27-30 is actually slightly above average, into the 60th-75th percentile. the problem is the below average students don't apply - with good reason - thus the majority of students who apply are above average. the result is an above average score becomes an average score for applying students, and likewise a below average score for matriculating students. so while you may have done quite well vs. the majority of test takers, you could have done poorly vs the majority of accepted students. how long until the AAMC pulls a collegeboard and makes the MCAT out of 60 to spread the scores.

27-30 is actually slightly above average, into the 60th-75th percentile. the problem is the below average students don't apply - with good reason - thus the majority of students who apply are above average. the result is an above average score becomes an average score for applying students, and likewise a below average score for matriculating students. so while you may have done quite well vs. the majority of test takers.
This is a beyond confusing way of saying this;
The Avg MCAT Score is a 24 for all takers
The Avg MCAT score for an applicant is a 27
The Avg MCAT for the accepted MD student is a 30.9

No that makes sense the way you said it. Those numbers make sense because that would explain my most SMPs have a 25-27 min MCAT cut-off for admissions. Though, unless you go to a program like Temple who has a built in MCAT review courses, most people don't realize that if your below 30 on the MCAT, whether your admitted into a SMP or not, your going to have to retake the MCAT if you want to apply and be competitive for allopathic school.

I tell you though, between getting just the right GPA, MCAT scores, taking updated undergrad or grad classes, explaining gaps on your resume, etc this process of med school app can make you pull your hair out. I guess they do it this way to get you prepared for the crap you have to deal with in school, residency, fellowship, and beyond. Oh, if only I was born a super genius.

These are the statistics I was given a couple years ago. I'm not saying this to criticize - actually asking your opinion; do you think each number has been raised significantly? And by significantly I mean at least .5

Also if I may continue to :hijacked:, can i ask your current situation robflanker? are you applying this coming cycle?

When I say average mcat I mean among matriculants, the goal of all this is to matriculate into med school, right?

It doesn't get any easier once you're in med school, in fact it gets a lot harder. Step 1 is exponentially harder than the mcat.

These are the statistics I was given a couple years ago. I'm not saying this to criticize - actually asking your opinion; do you think each number has been raised significantly? And by significantly I mean at least .5

Also if I may continue to :hijacked:, can i ask your current situation robflanker? are you applying this coming cycle?
I do think they've gone up fractionally, but its not worth aruging over whether its a 24.0 or a 24.3 etc etc; it paints the picture fine the way it is.

And thats what PMs are for....

When I say average mcat I mean among matriculants, the goal of all this is to matriculate into med school, right?

It doesn't get any easier once you're in med school, in fact it gets a lot harder. Step 1 is exponentially harder than the mcat.
Drizzt - agreed, the only one worth knowing is the 30.9