Some CC questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josephf1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Best fellowships for straight CC from IM?
2) Does it matter where you train?
3) Hows the job market?
4) Salaries? Shift work?
5) Do you learn everything essentially an ER doc learns in addition to other things?
6) Best large hardcover textbook to read for fellowship, saw lots.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Best fellowships for straight CC from IM?

There's only a few. I'd say Pitt's is probably the best. CLeavland Clinic is supposed to have the highest accuity ICUs by apacheII scores . . . so if you want to see lots and lots of very sick patients. Of note UDub, Baylor, and Oregon. And I bet either Stanford or Cedars would be a pretty sweet gig where they are located.

Although, if you're coming from IM. I think the most bang for your buck will be to do BOTH Pulm/CC. I think if you just want straight up CC, then I'd consider going the Gas route - more airway management in residency (obviously)

2) Does it matter where you train?

Of course. The more you see the better an intensivist you'll be, for the most part. For instance some programs will teach you bronchoscopy

3) Hows the job market?

Good. Lots of sick old people.

4) Salaries? Shift work?

Salary varies, but its good. Better than hospitalist generally. +/- shift work. Some places do, do shifts, but from what I hear most people take a "unit week" and the unit is theirs 24/7 until the week is done. All depends on the group and clinical practice practicalities.

5) Do you learn everything essentially an ER doc learns in addition to other things?

Depends on where you train. But an ER doc will still probably be better at trauma and intubations (assuming you come from an IM background). Over all for acute issues very similar, but you'll know more about long term management of acute issues that your doc coming out of ER residency

6) Best large hardcover textbook to read for fellowship, saw lots.

Debateable. I like the red book.