Some general help and guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TristanJ

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! My first post here! I am currently an Electrical Engineering student from Canada with "grand ambitions" to apply to med school. I hope to complete a bioelectrical engineering masters degree and then apply to medical school. Here, then, are my questions:

1) I am currently on a 1 year paid internship in Switzerland for electical engineering. About 25 students a year are placed overseas at my university. I am curious if having international work experience will improve my chances of acceptance.

2) I have a single F grade, and immediately retook the course (Vector Calculus at 8 in the morning, ugh) and passed. Since then my marks have definetly been trending upwards. Will this be a huge liability?

3) I have no prereqs yet, and although canada has a couple of universities that accept med school students without prereqs, I am going to try to fit in courses to get myself these requirements. What would people recommend?

4) I have already started studying for MCATs (3 years away probably) and find physics, verbal reasoning and the essay to be straightforward. However, my method for studying biology, chem, and org. chem at the moment is by using the Princeton Review. Has anyone been successful at learning these topics almost from scratch using review books? Does anyone have any other advice?

Thank you very much for your time, and best of luck to everyone.

Tristan Jones

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm nobody has ANY advice? ...

Tristan Jones

1) I am currently on a 1 year paid internship in Switzerland for electical engineering. About 25 students a year are placed overseas at my university. I am curious if having international work experience will improve my chances of acceptance.

If nothing else, it's an interesting EC that you can talk about in interviews. Since it really doesn't have anything to do with health or in an underserved area, I doubt it will be considered something special.

2) I have a single F grade, and immediately retook the course (Vector Calculus at 8 in the morning, ugh) and passed. Since then my marks have definetly been trending upwards. Will this be a huge liability?

Do well in your science classes and apply broadly. The liability will vary depending on the school. It's possible that it won't affect you at all if you continue to do well and don't have other academic questions. You may be asked to explain your grade at some point. Be honest and straightforward and don't make excuses.

3) I have no prereqs yet, and although canada has a couple of universities that accept med school students without prereqs, I am going to try to fit in courses to get myself these requirements. What would people recommend?

I know nothing of Canadian schools, but I would definitely recommend taking this ASAP anyway.

4) I have already started studying for MCATs (3 years away probably) and find physics, verbal reasoning and the essay to be straightforward. However, my method for studying biology, chem, and org. chem at the moment is by using the Princeton Review. Has anyone been successful at learning these topics almost from scratch using review books? Does anyone have any other advice?

I tried this and had similar results to you. I would forget trying to learn organic from a test prep book. You'll probably be a bit more successful with Biology. There were several topics I learned solely from a test prep book, and I don't think it hurt me. Obviously, if I had taken A&P or had a better Biology background, it would have helped. If anyone asks about my Biology background in interviews, I'll just direct them toward my MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
How far along are you in EE? When I took it, physics was my first class?

I am 3 years through. Definetly taken a lot of physics and not at all worried about that aspect. The problem with vector calculus was that it started easy, started at 8am, and was on the opposite side of campus. At the time I was less mature and had no aspirations or dreams really, so I let it slide.

Additionally, does anyone know how much Canadian schools look at mark trends? And how it splits up graduate and undergraduate GPAs?

Q. Canadian schools look at mark trends? And how it splits up graduate and undergraduate GPAs?

A. Don't know. Schools south of the border (US) view them separate. What are your numbers??

A few questions for you:
What is your overall GPA?
What is your BCMP GPA?
Are you interested in MD only or is DO ok?

PS one F is not the end of the world. An F in your core classes (phys, bio, chem, organic chem) would need to be repeated showing marked improvement.

Hmm nobody has ANY advice? ...

Tristan Jones

If I was in Switzerland, the last thing I would be doing would be studying for the MCAT.

But that's probably why I am 29 and just applying.....

Good luck and enjoy yourself at the same time.

Q. Canadian schools look at mark trends? And how it splits up graduate and undergraduate GPAs?

A. Don't know. Schools south of the border (US) view them separate. What are your numbers??

A few questions for you:
What is your overall GPA?
What is your BCMP GPA?
Are you interested in MD only or is DO ok?
Okay overall undergrad GPA is at the moment only a 2.78, but has been trending upwards (drastically :D) and should continue that way. That's why I'm hoping they combine scores for undergrad and grad, then I can move into grad school and continue improving my overall GPA without having to keep doing years of undergraduate (although I am willing if needed).
Not sure what my BCMP is, although it will be higher than this. However I haven't taken any bio courses in university yet, so it's probably largely irrelevant.

I don't think there are DO schools in canada...? I'd need to know more about it first, I haven't been able to find a clear explanation of the differences between MD and DO.

Thank you for your time!

Best Regards,
Tristan Jones

If I was in Switzerland, the last thing I would be doing would be studying for the MCAT.

But that's probably why I am 29 and just applying.....

Good luck and enjoy yourself at the same time.
Meh, I still have 3 years until the earliest I would be applying, so it's not quite hectic MCAT studying yet. Still lots of time to travel!

How do you find it to be 29 and applying? Is it more difficult, or do you get a break? What is your background?

Thanks!

Tristan Jones

My 0.02$ for what it is worth.

1. For MD versus DO- Look at the DO board for that. Not much difference, same stuff taught (DO schools add OMM), same license from the state. DO schools usually will look at the total person versus just scores. How much truth to that?? If you are interested in a competitive residency (derm, plastic), MD might be better though.

2. A game plan for you- Do as best in school as possible. They have computer screens on your initial application that may automatically knock you out. Try to get it above 3 if possible to avoid this auto screen. As it turns out the admittance committee gives you no extra credit for taking hard classes or degrees. Sorry I don't make these crazy rules. Don't rush to get done but take your time in school to do well! Try to get as many A's as possible in your required core classes as phys, chem, organic, bio. Rule of thumb for MD acceptance is 3.5 GPA and a 30 on your MCAT. Is it possible with less, yes but the road is tough. Also look into some type of volunteering in medicine or a paid job in it to make sure this is right for you. It will also give you something to write about in the application. As for the MCAT, start studying when the core classes are done or nearly. Take a Kaplan class for it, it will help. Also apply early in the cycle (have AMCAS app done, LOR's ready by early August / late July if possible). This also helps.

3. As for me I am 35 with many years EMT experience. I did EE for undergrad degree over 10 years ago with a GPA just shy of 3. I have completed a MS with a GPA of 3.5. I took bio and organic in the last few years at night and did very well in them. My MCAT was a 28 and I have been accepted to DO school already this year.

Final thought- This is a marathon, do your best and stay on target:)

A few questions for you.
How far along are you in your current degree? As I'm sure you know, you really need to bring that 2.78 up.
Why are you thinking about getting an M.E. before applying to med school?
At best it might help you slightly with admissions, but not as much as taking more UG science classes would.
Your grad GPA is not of much use in admissions.

My 0.02$ for what it is worth.

1. For MD versus DO- Look at the DO board for that. Not much difference, same stuff taught (DO schools add OMM), same license from the state. DO schools usually will look at the total person versus just scores. How much truth to that?? If you are interested in a competitive residency (derm, plastic), MD might be better though.

2. A game plan for you- Do as best in school as possible. They have computer screens on your initial application that may automatically knock you out. Try to get it above 3 if possible to avoid this auto screen. As it turns out the admittance committee gives you no extra credit for taking hard classes or degrees. Sorry I don't make these crazy rules. Don't rush to get done but take your time in school to do well! Try to get as many A's as possible in your required core classes as phys, chem, organic, bio. Rule of thumb for MD acceptance is 3.5 GPA and a 30 on your MCAT. Is it possible with less, yes but the road is tough. Also look into some type of volunteering in medicine or a paid job in it to make sure this is right for you. It will also give you something to write about in the application. As for the MCAT, start studying when the core classes are done or nearly. Take a Kaplan class for it, it will help. Also apply early in the cycle (have AMCAS app done, LOR's ready by early August / late July if possible). This also helps.

3. As for me I am 35 with many years EMT experience. I did EE for undergrad degree over 10 years ago with a GPA just shy of 3. I have completed a MS with a GPA of 3.5. I took bio and organic in the last few years at night and did very well in them. My MCAT was a 28 and I have been accepted to DO school already this year.

Final thought- This is a marathon, do your best and stay on target:)