some general questions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kies89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am currently a senior in UC

and i am graduating in spring (although i have one more class to take during fall)

But i havent taken DAT yet, so when are the possible times that i can take DAT?

i would like to take twice if possible (once if i get a decent score)

so probably take one during spring?

and also for the application, should i start during spring and submit it during summer?

ps) how should you manage time while preparing for DAT?
most of you are junior, seniors and taking lots of classes at the same time..
thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Don't take the DAT until you are ready for it. There are plenty people who take the DAT once and get 21+ so you really don't want to take it once as a trial run. Give yourself time to prepare.

2. The best case scenario, in terms of time, is to take the DAT roughly mid-May. That way your score will have already been verified and they will be available to your designated schools by June 1st (the first day applications can be sent out). Some people may argue that you can send your application out later during August and still be fine, but I sent mine out mid-Aug with a 21/21/21 and a 4.0 non-science gpa/3.95 science gpa and 2 out of the 5 schools I sent apps to still haven't reviewed my application (I know because I emailed admissions).

3. I'd say give yourself roughly 3 months to study for the DAT. I worked full time during the summer as I studied for the DAT roughly 3 hrs per day for 2 months and then 5pm to 12 am the two weeks prior to my exam. 3 months of studying should be fine.

4. Take enough time to get yourself organized. I would say take about 2 weeks to figure out the programs and study materials you want to purchase. Search for some older DAT breakdowns to get advice on some of the better review books. Also go to ADEA and get you dent pin and sign up for a test date. Bottom line is these things take time that you have to consider.

5. Start the application process as soon as you can. It took a lot more time than I thought it would to complete my application, especially getting the transcripts in order, deciding what I want to write about for my personal statement, and deciding who to ask for a letter of recommendation (You have to understand that the people you most likely ask are very busy with research, grading, teaching, ect. and they aren't going to be able to write it at the drop of a hat)

6. Don't get stressed about everything. Just plan ahead. You never want to be racing to get this stuff done.

i am currently a senior in UC

and i am graduating in spring (although i have one more class to take during fall)

But i havent taken DAT yet, so when are the possible times that i can take DAT?
the dat is offfered year round, and you should generally register about two months in advance (especially during peak times such as june-september). you register online by getting a dentpin and looking at available dates on the prometric center website. you can check that out now
i would like to take twice if possible (once if i get a decent score)
study hard, and take it ONCE. i think the retake time span is 3 months after initial test date. if you took the test first or second week of june, you would make the first batch of applications being sent out

so probably take one during spring?
if you can prepare for it adequately, take it early june
and also for the application, should i start during spring and submit it during summer?
application opens june first, and cant be opened before then. only thing you can do is have your LOR's READY TO BE SENT and be prepared to have your transcripts sent as well (you need to wait for transcipt form from your applicaiton before you request them)

ps) how should you manage time while preparing for DAT?
i studied from graduation in may and took it on july 28th, my last two weeks of studying were intense. head over to the DAT section to check out breakdowns
feel free to check out mine http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=843708

most of you are junior, seniors and taking lots of classes at the same time..
thanks a lot!

any more questions, feel free to post :)