Some Good advice + tips please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nintendodds

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im nearing a little over two weeks before my DAT. Days before taking DAT Bootcamps (DBC) practice exams, I made the effort to do a huge review one last time. I have been scoring extremely consistent 19-20's for Bio, 19's with GC, 19-21's with OC, and all three have gotten me a 19AA; I anticipate the last 2/5 exams to be roughly the same, maybe 1 point higher after I review once more. While there is no definitive way of calculating your true score other than taking the DAT itself, (curiously asking), how did your DBC practice exams compare to the actual DAT? I also plan on taking the 2007 and 2009 exams pretty soon- I'd say about a week before my actual test. How do the 2007 & 2009 compare in terms of scoring? Would you say it's pretty representative?

For the most part, I feel pretty confident in terms of the material that I know, however, there is always room for improvement. As the days count down, I've been experiencing a bit moderate case of imposter syndrome, despite all of the progress I've made since the beginning of my studying. Any good tips on how I should review for the exam, that is, how to constantly maintain a "refreshed memory" before the exam? Practice more questions? Review the wrong-old ones? re-study Bio/GC/OC notes? I guess the perfect answer would be to do all three. But I guess I'm really looking for the most effective method.

This was a pretty dense post with a ton of questions, if you've made it this far, I appreciate you haha. Thank you again. All criticism and wisdom is welcome, I definitely just want to do good on the exam and get it over with.

Members don't see this ad.

With many years of experience and talking to a lot of students through the years I have found that students score higher and lower than timed test. When a student scores higher it is a good ending, But when they score lower it often means a retake. If you are scheduled to take the exam in 2 weeks I would stop timed test and focus more time on study, concepts,etc. The 2007 and 2009 were actual exams taken by students in those years. Both are easier than the current exam but will give a good feel for the exam because they were made by the ADA test makers and good news they are free. You should score pretty high on those tests, and I would be concerned if you don't score at least around the 20 mark. If you take the 07 and 09 and don't score high I would take a hard look at your weakness. The DAT is not an exam you are taking to get it over with, it is an exam you are want to Destroy! The DAT Beast will Destroy an opponent that is not fully prepared. Keep going, reschedule your DAT if you have any doubts, and always believe in your dream #think30

Nancy, co/owner/DAT Destroyer

Reactions: 1 user
With many years of experience and talking to a lot of students through the years I have found that students score higher and lower than timed test. When a student scores higher it is a good ending, But when they score lower it often means a retake. If you are scheduled to take the exam in 2 weeks I would stop timed test and focus more time on study, concepts,etc. The 2007 and 2009 were actual exams taken by students in those years. Both are easier than the current exam but will give a good feel for the exam because they were made by the ADA test makers and good news they are free. You should score pretty high on those tests, and I would be concerned if you don't score at least around the 20 mark. If you take the 07 and 09 and don't score high I would take a hard look at your weakness. The DAT is not an exam you are taking to get it over with, it is an exam you are want to Destroy! The DAT Beast will Destroy an opponent that is not fully prepared. Keep going, reschedule your DAT if you have any doubts, and always believe in your dream #think30

Nancy, co/owner/DAT Destroyer

Hello Nancy,

I appreciate your response very much. So, they're easier hm? From what i have read, I thought the 07 & 09 were actually meant to show you the closest representation to what your dat would feel like, as well as what your score should be, but I can deduce on how it may come off as easier since these exams were made over 10 years ago. I will definitely consider rescheduling the DAT if i do end up scoring lower on the 07/09.

Yes! I do understand. I guess what I meant by get it over with was to genuinely be prepared to the fullest extent to finally (and properly) execute this exam. It's been some time since I've started studying, and the closer it is to my test date, I can't help but get a tad nervous- i assume it is normal for most test takers... it certainly the same feeling i get when i have a regular lecture exam haha.

I've asked myself plenty of times if the anxiety I have is from having "doubts"(e.g not knowing my biology/gen/ochem well enough) or if its simply the idea of the test itself. By now ive realized that I know my material fairly well, so It really just comes down to knowing the knitty gritty stuff, right? haha.

Thank you, Nancy.

You are not alone,most test takers get very nervous before test time. What I find best when working with my classroom students is to suggest they stop taking any timed test too close to the actual test date, why? Because it causes a lot of unnecessary text taking anxiety. I wish I could tell you a test to take that can accurately predict your test score, but it doesn't exist. Get off the timed test merry ground round asap and I assure you your confidence will return. The final days should be spent on wrapping it up and solidifying and weak area. The 2007 and 09 were actual exams students took in those years, and they were much easier. QR has changed, more BioChem on the DAT and just overall harder content. IMO the reading has become more challenging too. Feel free to ask more questions, always happy to help.

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You are not alone,most test takers get very nervous before test time. What I find best when working with my classroom students is to suggest they stop taking any timed test too close to the actual test date, why? Because it causes a lot of unnecessary text taking anxiety. I wish I could tell you a test to take that can accurately predict your test score, but it doesn't exist. Get off the timed test merry ground round asap and I assure you your confidence will return. The final days should be spent on wrapping it up and solidifying and weak area. The 2007 and 09 were actual exams students took in those years, and they were much easier. QR has changed, more BioChem on the DAT and just overall harder content. IMO the reading has become more challenging too. Feel free to ask more questions, always happy to help.

Nancy
very helpful information indeed. I appreciate this all Nancy, thank you. Sucks that there isn’t a diagnostic-scorer haha, but how cool would that be? I’ll leave it up to myself to consider what others have to say and move forward with that, but ditching timed testing seems more promising than constantly being paranoid- i guess a timed test doesn’t matter if having a strong foundation on the material will help out more in the end.

Thank you Nancy!

Status
Not open for further replies.