Some information from Loma Linda U.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to LLU today and discussed my academic status with Mrs. Sylvia Davis. I would like to point out the points about the application:
1. LLU looks for at least 40 hours shadeling experience.
2. DAT score should be at least 17 for consideration.
3. Upper division biology courses should be taken according to LLU School of Dentistry website.
4. If you are originally from foreigen country (it means you were not born here), you would be request to take TSE (Test of Speaking English).
5. She points out one thing automatically that there are many "older" applicants (change their careers after several years) and they get liitle bit adventages.

Members don't see this ad.

You also need to have some kinda religious background, and should have a letter from the head of ur religious institution stating your good character. This is their requirements instead of one of the LOR's.

Actually, she asked me to fill out a form called "consulting appointment form". One of the part was specifically asking what "type" of the church I belonged to (with membership) and who was my advisor (church). It also asked my marriage status.
I left both of the two questions blank!
Personally, I had visited two schools (USC and LLU); in my own opinion, I like USC much more than LLU. Not talking about the tuition, the facility and atmosphere at USC is much much better than LLU. By the way, USC advisor is more friendly. Some of my feeling......;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Do everyone who apply to Loma Linda need to fill this consulting appointment form? If yes, then where I can get it?
I personally are not religious. Should I even bother to apply? Thanks.

Ohgee,

Then I think you need to consider the fact you will be in a highly religious environment. I am not very religious either and would not feel comforatable in a school for 4 years that is highly religiously influenced/biased.

everyone there are Christian? The dentist that I volunteered for is from Loma Linda, she says that they also accept non-Christian students....

If everyone there are extremely religious, then I will consider not going......I proably can't fit into the group :(

I am sure they do accept other religions. Even religious based undergrad institutions will usually accept other religions, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. If they are diverse and are not based around a single religion, I think it would be manageable. I always look for people and places that are open to new things or at least not close minded. If they do accept a range of people and religions, then I would give it consideration. But I still stand firm on not going somewhere that is bias. If they are primarily Christian and they do accept other religious people who are well qualified, then you still need to think how comforatable you will be. There will always be that Christian undertone. But hey, all we want to do is become a dentist, so in the end I think anywhere would be manageable if you come out a Dentist!

hold on! one of the LOR is REQUIRED to be from a religious leader? I don't go to church so does that mean I should not bother applying?

If you're not a christian why would you want to go to a christian college? It makes no sense. If you think of it as an affliction that needs enduring why put yourself through that?

I would prefer to go to a private christian college but due to finances I can't afford it. Maybe someday I'll go to a christian dental college. With like minded people and encouragement to grow as a christian in today's society, you will. But if you go in to it not wanting it you might even be worse off for the experience.

If you're not a christian why would you want to go to a christian college?

I think there could be several reasons. Ranging from the quality of education to the type of environment. A lot of people go to colleges that are founded on beliefs that don't coincide with their own.

I know many people who attend LLU and I think overall it's a very friendly school. Of course, it is an SDA school and anyone who goes there will be honest and tell you that most of the students are SDAs in all of the programs. My cousin in med school says half her class is non-SDA. I think LLU also likes to see religious people of any faith in their program. Also, I've heard from my dental friends that their admissions person is one of the nicest they've come across. And as for nixing LLU because of the faith, you should also consider the academics, location, and price rather than just that one aspect. At any school, you'll find people to identify with.

So I heard that they make you go to the SDA church every week. Is that true? or was someone pulling my leg. I don't think that that's cool if it is true.

Absolutely not true. My friends tell me that you do have to go a sort of assembly/meeting every week in the morning and it's held in the church there. But there are no rules about attending church for religious purposes.