Some opinions please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doom132

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this type of question has already been posted, but im just honestly looking for opinions on whether or not what im thinking is correct.

So anyway let me get straight to the point.
I took interest in the dental field early this year(2014). But my undergrad stats are horrible!
I have 15 withdrawals(I think i take the record for most dropped classes)! My sgpa is 2.7. Its my 7th year as undergrad. I havn't taken most of pre-req classes for dental schools. I am about to fail two courses out of the four I am currently taking this semester. I actively volunteer at a homeless shelter kitchen serving food on the weekends. I have no job shadowing hours yet.
I do have a reason as to why i lived life in the slow lane(not partying) but i feel like its a pretty weak reason.
So my idea is to either do a post bacc and take the pre req classes or go for a masters in chemistry. I also plan to get a job shadowing opportunity sooner than later. Is this the right path I should be taking or is there something else i can add to help my stats? Also, i plan on seeing my counselor for some advice.
Again, sorry if these type of threads flood these forums.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Alright I'll bite. I don't think you're suited for this. You've withdrew from a lot of courses, have a weak GPA and are possibly failing another course. There's only so much leeway an adcom can give you before you become an unlikely candidate. There are hundreds of other applicants, behind you and from this history it looks bleak. I don't mean to be blunt but there obviously is a line I'm going to have to draw for who has a realistic chance and who doesn't.

Now, there are options but they're not easy. I believe there is a program in a Texas school that will omit your past GPA and let you start anew (I don't know how adcoms will look at this). You could try a post-bac or a masters but you would really need to knock them out of the park. If you want my consideration, you should find something else you love and go towards that.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha, yes my stats are pretty scary. I should just dress up as a piece of paper with my stats on it for Halloween.

Yes, it does seem like im not suited for this and I know it wouldn't really matter if i tried to explain myself. Thanks for the advice.

I already know I will have to work extremely hard to make anyone forget about my past. I just need opinions on my post bacc or masters plan. My goodness, i wish i had a time machine. Would it matter if i went for a second bachelors degree?

Get a masters, it has more weight than a post-bac since you're doing more work and some programs you'd take classes on par with dental school.

um.....i think there was a academic forgiveness program or something like that texas residents. Move over there, get that, start college over and try it.
At this point, I think you have shown adcoms nothing that show you are able to handle dental school courses...

But man, those withdrawls are a lot.

Here's my two cents. And this is coming from someone who was, the first time through, a 5 year college grad with a few withdrawals and a 2.7gpa. Take a break. There is something that is holding you back from applying yourself to school the way you should right now. You will have to figure out what it is and how to get past it. I just feel that if you are doing this poorly now you would probably just dig a deeper hole with a masters degree, etc…

Take some time, work for a year or two, figure out what you want and how much you want it. Then go for it with everything you've got.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the advice guys. I appreciate everything you guys are telling me and find everything you guys say very helpful. After this semester is over, I will see how I am doing and decide what I want to do with everything that was said here in mind.

I would suggest taking a year or 2 off and start working. When I was in undergrad I just went through the motions of school, but When I worked for a year n half before my masters I actually learnt alot about myself including my passion for dentistry. You're failing 2 courses? Fine, drop them and re-take them next semester and get A's. Start taking Pre-reqs for dental school and DO WELL IN THEM.

Thanks again for all the advice. I think I know what path I should be taking based on what everyone has said.

To Dental2000: Okay, I just looked up pre-reqs for some dental schools around my area and it looks like I have taken most of them:meh:(I was hoping I didnt). Next semester I am going to add that last 1 or 2 pre-req class I have not taken. Next semester is my last semester of undergrad and I really just want to know if I can handle 3 or 4 upper level courses along with my volunteering.

You guys have been truly great and I can't appreciate it enough that you guys are telling me all of this.

I've looked into the Texas academic forgiveness thing. You only qualify if it has been at least 10 years since your last college course so you're pretty much out of the running for that (unless you want to wait until 2025 which is out of the question). I'd say kill masters and kill DAT. Lots of good advice on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks again for all the advice. I think I know what path I should be taking based on what everyone has said.

To Dental2000: Okay, I just looked up pre-reqs for some dental schools around my area and it looks like I have taken most of them:meh:(I was hoping I didnt). Next semester I am going to add that last 1 or 2 pre-req class I have not taken. Next semester is my last semester of undergrad and I really just want to know if I can handle 3 or 4 upper level courses along with my volunteering.

You guys have been truly great and I can't appreciate it enough that you guys are telling me all of this.

Dental School school is going to be exactly that. You're going to be taking really advanced upper Bio courses there.
I believe you can do it if you manage your time effectively. cut down on 'chillin' time'. Use your weekends to revise what you've gone through during the week. By doing this it will make stuyding for exams easier. The more you look over stuff the more quicker you can remember it.

Yeah, id rather not wait 10 years to do the Texas thing. But thanks for checking!
Thanks again for all the valuable information. This place is great!

Where can I find out about this Texas thing? My crappy grades ARE over 10 years old.

Many thanks!

Doesn't it ask for EVERY class you've ever taken at undergrad level on the ADEA app and they use that to calculate your GPA? I don't see how it would be any different than just retaking the class at your current university.

If you retake and get an A , adea would average both grades. if you retake at this texas thing, theyw ould just take both grades and average it again.

Undergrad for 7 years??? How does that happen?
Don't do the masters in chemistry. Do the masters in a field of biology. You may even have a hard time getting into a masters program... Instead of asking people on here for advice, especially for your situation, call/meet a dean of a dental school and get his view.

Doesn't it ask for EVERY class you've ever taken at undergrad level on the ADEA app and they use that to calculate your GPA? I don't see how it would be any different than just retaking the class at your current university.

If you retake and get an A , adea would average both grades. if you retake at this texas thing, theyw ould just take both grades and average it again.
Yes, grades would average in AADSAS, but some schools do additional calculations for admissions. I haven't read this Texas thing yet though.

To DentalFox: My 15 withdrawals explains the 7 year undergrad situation. Just laziness and lack of motivation. I never heard of calling a dean of a dental school before. I will do that and get their advice.

To DentalFox: My 15 withdrawals explains the 7 year undergrad situation. Just laziness and lack of motivation. I never heard of calling a dean of a dental school before. I will do that and get their advice.
The reason why you should call the dean of each school you are interested in is because every school values something different. Don't lose hope though. I have seen someone with a similar case, and with hard work they got in.