Some Questions about Admissions to Caribbean

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludacris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a some questions about Caribbean med school admissions.

1) Is admission based on cumulative GPA (all courses), BCMP GPA (biology, chemistry, physics), BCP GPA, or just the prerequisites for the particular school?

2) How do they treat repeated courses? Do they average both attempts like AMCAS or take the higher/latest attempt?

3) How frowned upon are D's even if they are retaken for better grades?

4) If a course is taken at another university, my school does not include it in the cGPA calculation (but the credits are transfered only), would the mark be included in the GPA that the school uses for admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!

I have a some questions about Caribbean med school admissions.

1) Is admission based on cumulative GPA (all courses), BCMP GPA (biology, chemistry, physics), BCP GPA, or just the prerequisites for the particular school?

2) How do they treat repeated courses? Do they average both attempts like AMCAS or take the higher/latest attempt?

3) How frowned upon are D's even if they are retaken for better grades?

4) If a course is taken at another university, my school does not include it in the cGPA calculation (but the credits are transfered only), would the mark be included in the GPA that the school uses for admission?

For SGU:

1. All of the above. The ask for your GPA, science GPA, and grades in the prerequisites.

2. No idea. If you email SGU, they'll be able to help you.

3. D's are not looked highly upon. But I would think that if you retake the class and get an A, it at least proves that you can do the work. However, there will probably be a lingering question as to why you got a D the first time around.

4. AFAIK, you should include all college courses taken in your GPA regardless of the institution.

For SGU:

1. All of the above. The ask for your GPA, science GPA, and grades in the prerequisites.

2. No idea. If you email SGU, they'll be able to help you.

3. D's are not looked highly upon. But I would think that if you retake the class and get an A, it at least proves that you can do the work. However, there will probably be a lingering question as to why you got a D the first time around.

4. AFAIK, you should include all college courses taken in your GPA regardless of the institution.

Thanks man!

Could something along of the lines of 5 finals in a row work for the D's? lol

I received D's in O Chem II and Biochem but because they were at the end of the cycle of having 5 finals in a row (Mon-Fri)... I received A's in all the other courses. I'm planning on retaking these in Fall/Winter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man!

Could something along of the lines of 5 finals in a row work for the D's? lol

I received D's in O Chem II and Biochem but because they were at the end of the cycle of having 5 finals in a row (Mon-Fri)... I received A's in all the other courses. I'm planning on retaking these in Fall/Winter.

It is a mitigating circumstance, but unless the final was 60%+ then it does not explain almost failing the courses because of one exam.

It is a mitigating circumstance, but unless the final was 60%+ then it does not explain almost failing the courses because of one exam.

They were both 40% if I recall... but I'd rather not make up excuses.

If I retake them and do better do Caribbean schools care as much as US schools?

Also will a good MCAT score (esp for the BS section) make up for the bad previous grade?

Retaking and doing well is pretty much like taking it for the first time and kicking arse. At the very least it shows that you are committed.

The great thing about Carib schools is that a good-to-great MCAT (27+) will definitely make up for a crappy GPA (as long as it is not lower than 2.7-2.9). Some semesters are tougher than others to matriculate (August vs. January) and some schools are more selective than others (SGU vs. SMU) but they all look at the whole picture and not just stats.

They were both 40% if I recall... but I'd rather not make up excuses.

If I retake them and do better do Caribbean schools care as much as US schools?

Also will a good MCAT score (esp for the BS section) make up for the bad previous grade?