some questions from TBR chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,
let me first appreciate all of your advice. you guys suggested that i buy the BR books and i am so glad. I read thru EK 3 times and i could not understand what they were talking about, so i thought i was dumb and i was about to give up on med school. but TBR writer is brilliant, he explains everything based on REASON. EK just says this is a fact about chemistry, memorize it, bye, see you later. BR explains WHY something happens, and that's what i love about it.
i just finished the first volume of their chemistry book and as a did the problems, i wrote down a couple of things that i couldn't understand so here they are:
Questions
1. which of the following decompose first? (page 140)
a) 1,2-dihydoxyanthraquinone
b)some compound containing copper and carbon
c) some other compound containing carbon

in the passage it says organic compounds decompose first, so the correct answer is a. i thought organic means anything that contains carbon, no?

2. what is observed after 5ml of pure water is added to a buffered solution with pH initially at 5.00?
a) the pH will not change
b)it will change
i think the pH should go up, because you are diluting an acidic solution. the answer is it doesnt change, because the ratio of A- to HA doesnt change.
so again, common sense says when you add water to an acid, it becomes less concentrated, more acidic? no?

--I am sure this is a common problem: i can do most of the problems AS LONG AS I KNOW WHICH CHAPTER IT IS FROM. for example, if i am doing a problem about the color wheel (absorbance, wavelength, ROYGBV stuff) and if the problem is right after that section, then subconsciously i know its from that section so i can apply the concepts and do the problems. But then if in the titration section they ask "why is the indicator blue"? a) because it absorbs so and so wavelegth. b)because it reflect whatever... then i get confused and i feel like i cant do the problem. So is there a solution to this? because on the real mcat the different concepts are scattered all over, right?

PS i have a suggestion of my own, from my own experience, i hope you find this helpful: leave biology for like the last week before your test. I wasted like a month memorizing the stuff and right now i dont remember anything. focus on chemistry and physics and verbal first, once you are confident in those areas, then like week before the mcat start memorizing all the biology.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think organic means it usually has both carbon and hydrogen, because molecules like CO2 are not organic. This is what I've read, and I'm not completely sure about it.

As for the buffered solution question, I think the word "buffered" is the key word in the question, meaning it changes in pH are prevented.