Some questions on the application review process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smashingdude

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

1. So how do programs review applications? I mean they do it in certain batches? Like batch 1 of applicants above 260 on step1? Or a batch in the first week after ERAS opens, a batch in the 2nd week, and 3rd week, and so on?

2. I am asking cause I seriously messed up my personal statement when I uploaded my application on the 16th, and corrected the error on the 29th. So, I was wondering if my application will be reviewed in the 2nd or 3rd batch? And if they already reviewed it, but my application was updated with the correct Personal Statement, will they get a notification and hence review it again?

3. When do programs actually read all the documents (LoR, PS, ERAS CV etc)? Like do you start the filtering process from September 15th on wards, and actually look at the applications after MSPE is released? If that is the case, I might have a good chance that my application with the correct PS will be reviewed and judged.

4. Finally, how is the experience of the programs in this particular season? I heard from many programs that the new web-based ERAS system is giving a lot of errors to programs. So, were programs waiting for the 1st of October to start the review process?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but this interview season is one hell of a roller-coaster ride!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm afraid there's no consistent way that all programs review applications so I don't think there's a way to answer your first three questions. At this point, the review process is not something you can control, so take a deep, cleansing breath and let it go as much as you can. Programs who had not printed/reviewed your application before Sept 29th will only see the new PS; those who had already reviewed your application may or may not know that your PS was replaced and may or may not care. Personal statements add color to your application--remind us that you are a real person, not just a name on a sheet of paper. They have some weight in decisions regarding interviews, but not enough to counteract other indicators. When I write the justification for not extending an interview, it's never been because of a typo in the personal statement.

What can you do at this point? I'd recommend selecting a program or two that you haven't heard from but that you really expected to. Contact the PC and let him/her know you updated your PS, that you are really interested in that program, and that you hope to hear from them soon.

My problems with the web-based ERAS have primarily involved it being down. A lot. Especially early in the process, although I've had spotty problems with it this week as well. Access issues on top of figuring out the new platform have made my initial review process much less efficient. But not all programs are using the web-based ERAS--it won't be standard until next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I have heard of every possible review system under the sun.

First of all it varies who is doing the review :
-Some programs the program coordinator does the initial screening based on numbers and has authority to invite applicants if they fit the criteria without the program director even seeing them. "maybes" are sent to the PD for final decision.

-Some programs use a formal committee.

-Some programs it is almost unilaterally the program director.

Then the method of review and invitation varies:
-Some programs do it in a rolling first come first serve fashion

-Some programs use a variety of filters (step 1 score, visa status, med school, etc)

-Some programs wait until a designated time and then review all applications prior to sending out any invites.

Hey everyone,

1. So how do programs review applications? I mean they do it in certain batches? Like batch 1 of applicants above 260 on step1? Or a batch in the first week after ERAS opens, a batch in the 2nd week, and 3rd week, and so on?

2. I am asking cause I seriously messed up my personal statement when I uploaded my application on the 16th, and corrected the error on the 29th. So, I was wondering if my application will be reviewed in the 2nd or 3rd batch? And if they already reviewed it, but my application was updated with the correct Personal Statement, will they get a notification and hence review it again?

3. When do programs actually read all the documents (LoR, PS, ERAS CV etc)? Like do you start the filtering process from September 15th on wards, and actually look at the applications after MSPE is released? If that is the case, I might have a good chance that my application with the correct PS will be reviewed and judged.

4. Finally, how is the experience of the programs in this particular season? I heard from many programs that the new web-based ERAS system is giving a lot of errors to programs. So, were programs waiting for the 1st of October to start the review process?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but this interview season is one hell of a roller-coaster ride!
There are 4,000+ residency programs in this country with 4,000+ answers to that question. How on earth do you think we can answer it?

Reactions: 1 users
There are 4,000+ residency programs in this country with 4,000+ answers to that question. How on earth do you think we can answer it?

Sure there are 4000 different ways, but currently we know none of them. So everyone that answers with how they know the review process to happen increases our knowledge of the process.

Sure there are 4000 different ways, but currently we know none of them. So everyone that answers with how they know the review process to happen increases our knowledge of the process.
But it still makes absolutely no difference because you will never know the process of the programs you applied to.

Reactions: 3 users
But it still makes absolutely no difference because you will never know the process of the programs you applied to.

Doesn't make much difference other than satisfying my interest in how programs all over the country conduct their review process; which is my goal here.

What can you do at this point? I'd recommend selecting a program or two that you haven't heard from but that you really expected to. Contact the PC and let him/her know you updated your PS, that you are really interested in that program, and that you hope to hear from them soon.
When you contact programs to express interest, do you typically email the program director (an MD) or the residency coordinator (usually a secretary)?

What is the point of a response like this? Is it just to make the questioner feel stupid? If you have knowledge to share on the topic, share it. If not, don't respond or point the questioner in a direction where he or she might be able to find an answer. If you feel like the person is asking a question that may not be answerable the way it is written, just say so politely.

I can't believe I even have to post stuff like this on a forum full of physicians and medical students.

Reactions: 1 users
When you contact programs to express interest, do you typically email the program director (an MD) or the residency coordinator (usually a secretary)?
If you email a program to update them on a change to your application or express interest, I'd go with notifying the coordinator.