some questions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
H

hizi

I'm new around here so ill be starting to take my pre reqs on spring next year and I'm so nervous but excited at the same time. However, I have lots of anxiety and I would like to know if anyone here have experienced anxiety in college and how you guys deal with it.

I guess my anxiety is coming from the fact that I'll start a new journey. I'm 28 y/o and I'll have to quit my job which salary is 60k a year. Just thinking of all the things that can go wrong makes me nervous and anxious... I haven't even started and all I think of is " what if I don't make it " "what if I fail" "what if I can't pass the classes " what if I can't pass the dat" and it's killing me:pirate::pirate::pirate: has it happened to you? maybe I'm paranoid or idk but it really scares me.

On the other hand, I'm very excited because I'll be doing something that I've been dreaming of since I was 19 years old so I try to keep myself motivated thinking about it this way.

well... I just had to vent, sorry for my long post :playful:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm new around here so ill be starting to take my pre reqs on spring next year and I'm so nervous but excited at the same time. However, I have lots of anxiety and I would like to know if anyone here have experienced anxiety in college and how you guys deal with it.

I guess my anxiety is coming from the fact that I'll start a new journey. I'm 28 y/o and I'll have to quit my job which salary is 60k a year. Just thinking of all the things that can go wrong makes me nervous and anxious... I haven't even started and all I think of is " what if I don't make it " "what if I fail" "what if I can't pass the classes " what if I can't pass the dat" and it's killing me:pirate::pirate::pirate: has it happened to you? maybe I'm paranoid or idk but it really scares me.

On the other hand, I'm very excited because I'll be doing something that I've been dreaming of since I was 19 years old so I try to keep myself motivated thinking about it this way.

It's so awesome that you're finally doing what you've been dreaming of! As someone who has had a lot of anxiety, especially when it comes to my academics and thoughts of "what if I don't make it?", I suggest finding things to do to really relax. For me, I started running and when things got bad, I went to my schools counselor to talk about anything that was bothering me. Maybe find a good hobby that you can do with friends. It was super helpful to have a support system as well. I wish you luck on your journey!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey I'm over 30 with kids and applying this cycle. You're fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 29 and applying. Fortunately, everything you just listed in your control - the grades, the test - you just need to put in the effort.

Good luck. May the force be with you.

I'm 28 as well you can do this. I'd like to ask why quit working though? You could do both and I'm sure that would ease some anxiety for you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I really suggest you think long and hard about this. It would be terrible if you went back to school, received a 3.0gpa and bombed your DAT. Now youre in debt and need a 60k job.
Have you considered just taking 1-2 classes this semester and see how that goes?

Choosing to pursue dental school is a big decision, so most people can relate. The key is to realize that if you act rationally, the risk is fairly low.

One piece of advice my college advisor used to give everyone was to avoid telling all of your family and friends your specific professional goals. You don't want everyone in your life asking you when you're going to get into dental school. Removing that kind of social pressure will lower your anxiety about failure.

Also, regardless of the outcome, your decision to go back to school to become a health professional is in itself an honorable act. I don't think you should have to feel existential anxiety about starting a new journey, as you say. (But try not to burn any bridges to your current job...it's good to have a back-up plan.)

If you fail, you'll find another way. But don't let your fear cripple you.

Or you might fail and be homeless.

Quite an amount of good people turned homeless, now it's time to re-evaluate how we treat these people. At some point, many of them were like us, and then life hit them and nobody cared.

I'm 26 and applying next cycle. If it's what you truly want, it will be worth it. Make it happen for yourself. Best of luck to you.

Quite an amount of good people turned homeless, now it's time to re-evaluate how we treat these people. At some point, many of them were like us, and then life hit them and nobody cared.
wth how is that relevant to what the question is asking.