Some Residency Programs Now Requiring CASPer for 2021 Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Link: Casper Suite for GME - CASPer

My Lord, can this process get any dumber??? Current M4s, I am so sorry. 2020 just keeps spanking you in the behind

Current list of programs:

Family Medicine:

General Surgery:

Internal Medicine:

OB-GYN:

Edit: Looks like you've got a week to take it if you're applying to any of these programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
How much is casper paying these people?

Reactions: 7 users
I see the good intention these programs are trying to do, but I disagree with requiring this CASPer(had to look it up cause I've never heard of this). People can "game" these things and I don't think a little test is that helpful. Honestly, a good interview helps screen some of these things. The program I work with is NOT doing this, I doubt they would implement it but depending on the powers that be there may be a nationwide mandate if it's a successful hit, who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also this is what happens when Step 1 goes P/F and programs being desperate for more metrics. Even then its still dumb and predatory to force applicants to jump through more hoops by forcing them to take 3rd party tests

• Love
Ca$per

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Link: Casper Suite for GME - CASPer

My Lord, can this process get any dumber??? Current M4s, I am so sorry. 2020 just keeps spanking you in the behind

Current list of programs:

Family Medicine:

General Surgery:

Internal Medicine:

OB-GYN:

Edit: Looks like you've got a week to take it if you're applying to any of these programs.
Once they realize their application numbers start declining, they will revert back to not requiring it.

Reactions: 2 users
Once they realize their application numbers start declining, they will revert back to not requiring it.

To be honest, even if that did happen, I doubt they would even care. Just less apps to sift through

Reactions: 3 users
To be honest, even if that did happen, I doubt they would even care. Just less apps to sift through
Not if it's also affecting the caliber of students they are getting.

Reactions: 1 users
I see the good intention these programs are trying to do, but I disagree with requiring this CASPer(had to look it up cause I've never heard of this). People can "game" these things and I don't think a little test is that helpful. Honestly, a good interview helps screen some of these things. The program I work with is NOT doing this, I doubt they would implement it but depending on the powers that be there may be a nationwide mandate if it's a successful hit, who knows.

If it’s anything like the one we had to take for some med schools, it is dumb.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up, taking Hamilton IM off my list now.

Reactions: 8 users
Unsolicited opinion: I can say with 100% certainty that zero thought went into this. You know, as per usual with admin. They just like to do stupid stuff for stupid stuff's sake.

Admin 1: Step 1's going pass/fail. What are we gonna do now?
Admin 2: Uhh, I hear med schools are doing this casper thing?
Admin 1: Hmm, does it work?
Admin 2: No idea
Admin 1: Great, let's do it

• Haha
Reactions: 20 users
Unsolicited opinion: I can say with 100% certainty that zero thought went into this. You know, as per usual with admin. They just like to do stupid stuff for stupid stuff's sake.

I see this as an arrogant, unprofessional, and uninformed assertion on your part. Why do you think that administrators make decisions out of a lack of effort or understanding? Or that they are not intelligent? Or that they don’t show up to work each day with the intention of doing the best job they can given their mandate? Each member of the team has an important role to play, even if you can’t see it.

It is time that physicians accept that we are not superior to all other roles within the health care system, that our interprofessional colleagues are more than worthy of our respect, and that slandering them in public forums such as this is both childish and counterproductive to the change that the culture of medicine so desperately needs. Please keep your toxic unsolicited opinions to yourself so that the world doesn’t mistakenly assume that you represent us all.

• Haha
  • Dislike
  • Okay...
Reactions: 10 users
I see this as an arrogant, unprofessional, and uninformed assertion on your part. Why do you think that administrators make decisions out of a lack of effort or understanding? Or that they are not intelligent? Or that they don’t show up to work each day with the intention of doing the best job they can given their mandate? Each member of the team has an important role to play, even if you can’t see it.

It is time that physicians accept that we are not superior to all other roles within the health care system, that our interprofessional colleagues are more than worthy of our respect, and that slandering them in public forums such as this is both childish and counterproductive to the change that the culture of medicine so desperately needs. Please keep your toxic unsolicited opinions to yourself so that the world doesn’t mistakenly assume that you represent us all.
Found the admin.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 32 users

Mmmm admin tears, delicious

Was I arrogant? Nah

Was I unprofessional? Maybe. I like to mess around on here for fun, so take that as you will.

Was I uninformed? Look, I am as informed as can be with the best practices of admins. They mess with us all the time. Literally, they do stuff that is 100% counterproductive to their own goals and screws with students in the process. How many times have I heard "I was successful in spite of my school, not because of it"? Who's to blame for that?

Listen. I don't know what is going through these people's heads when they make the boneheaded decisions they make on a regular basis. All I know is that we would be much better off without the do-nothing administrators that we have today.

We don't just get on forums like this to cry about admins because we just love to complain, despite prevailing opinion. They routinely make our lives harder, for no good reason.

The admins at my school and many others are not worthy of our respect, I can promise you that. So many of the problems that exist in medicine are because of administrators themselves.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
Was I arrogant? Nah

Was I unprofessional? Maybe. I like to mess around on here for fun, so take that as you will.

Was I uninformed? Look, I am as informed as can be with the best practices of admins. They mess with us all the time. Literally, they do stuff that is 100% counterproductive to their own goals and screws with students in the process. How many times have I heard "I was successful in spite of my school, not because of it"? Who's to blame for that?

Listen. I don't know what is going through these people's heads when they make the boneheaded decisions they make on a regular basis. All I know is that we would be much better off without the do-nothing administrators that we have today.

We don't just get on forums like this to cry about admins because we just love to complain, despite prevailing opinion. They routinely make our lives harder, for no good reason.

The admins at my school and many others are not worthy of our respect, I can promise you that. So many of the problems that exist in medicine are because of administrators themselves.
Notorious example: Step 2 CS...million dollars on a stupid test that has not been proven beneficial if not stupid. Where are the admins? I owe my success to my own hard works WITH some admins who really care... Medical school is definitely not worth the amount of my money. I need them to stop coming up with strange ideas and make my life more miserable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

The admins I work with are all physicians, myself included. Perhaps that's why we occasionally find our jobs so amusing.

• Haha

Actual conversation:

Admin 2: Uhh, I hear med schools are doing this CASPer thing?
Admin 1: Hmm, will it weed out some of the weirdos?
Admin 2: Possibly. At the very least it will shave off the people who can't even get past an online SJT.
Admin 1: Great, let's do it.

• Okay...
  • Haha
Actual conversation:

Admin 2: Uhh, I hear med schools are doing this CASPer thing?
Admin 1: Hmm, will it weed out some of the weirdos?
Admin 2: Possibly. At the very least it will shave off the people who can't even get past an online SJT.
Admin 1: Great, let's do it.

This is just proving my point tbh. There's no actual consideration of efficacy. It's just, "Let's find something to cut down on the number of applicants". Might as well just do eeny meeny miny moe at that point.

they should just sort using max bench/squat at this point

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
This is just proving my point tbh. There's no actual consideration of efficacy.

I was being tongue-in-cheek (though that was rather obvious). SJTs have been around for 50 years and have been studied extensively. Like every other tool they have advantages and disadvantages. CASPer emerged from McMaster about 10-12 years ago. It's original name was CMSENS, and it was intended to allow applicants the opportunity to convey some of their non-cognitive traits to the institution before an actual in-person interview. I have no personal experience with it, so I have no opinion on the wisdom of utilizing it or not. I do object to the "yet one more thing" aspect of it.

Please tell me this is satire

• Love
  • Haha

The only way this post gets better is if we find out this person is an NP lol

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
That's right. 0.18% of residency programs now require CASPer. Suck it.

Im sure no other programs will follow and implement more hoops to jump through now they don't have step 1 to use, youre right. Surprised a faculty member would be soft enough to be in favor of removing this test because its too stressful.

Reactions: 2 users
This is why we need application caps. If you only had x amount of applications you can send out, and you really want a program that has CASPER, cool. take it. If programs weren't flooded with 1000s of apps for every single spot they have, they won't have to default to more tests to weed out applicants.

I fail to understand why application caps aren't a thing? It seems to be the only thing that stops it is the NRMP or AAMC, or whoever is reaping in the thousands of dollars in application fees. Seriously, what am I missing?

This is why we need application caps. If you only had x amount of applications you can send out, and you really want a program that has CASPER, cool. take it. If programs weren't flooded with 1000s of apps for every single spot they have, they won't have to default to more tests to weed out applicants.

I fail to understand why application caps aren't a thing? It seems to be the only thing that stops it is the NRMP or AAMC, or whoever is reaping in the thousands of dollars in application fees. Seriously, what am I missing?

It has never been litigated, but ERAS maintains that caps would be a restriction of free trade, and therefore illegal without an exception carved out. Oh, and ERAS makes tons of $$$ from over-application, so good luck getting them to change course.

• Love
  • Hmm
Reactions: 11 users
Im sure no other programs will follow and implement more hoops to jump through now they don't have step 1 to use, youre right. Surprised a faculty member would be soft enough to be in favor of removing this test because its too stressful.

It wouldn't surprise me if the use of CASPer in the match is just an ad hoc mechanism for preference signaling. And it wouldn't surprise me if the 9 programs named above didn't cut their application pools down considerably by requiring it.

• Love

I learned recently that app caps prevent applicants from shooting for the stars and likely miss out on interviews by underestimating themselves. Also risking on going unmatched when the programs they did apply yield protect them or didn't think applicants were interested in them

Interview caps and tokens respected by programs seem to be the way to go

• Hmm
I learned recently that app caps prevent applicants from shooting for the stars and likely miss out on interviews by underestimating themselves. Also risking on going unmatched when the programs they did apply yield protect them or didn't think applicants were interested in them

Interview caps and tokens respected by programs seem to be the way to go
My first thought to this would be, would programs still be doing a lot of yield protection if they weren't flooded with applications?

My first thought to this would be, would programs still be doing a lot of yield protection if they weren't flooded with applications?

I think it'd be less likely to happen but regional protection is still scary even if an OOS applicant shows very sincere interest. The strategy of going to high school, college, (gap years?) and med school in different regions throughout the country is likely to be key even with app caps in place.

Idk i'm still wrapping my head on regional protection

Was I arrogant? Nah

Sounds like a good training for when you go work for an HMO.

Where did you learn this from?

Found the admin.
Haha, very clever. But you’re wrong. I’m a first year resident that just happens to respect other people and the jobs that they do. I bet your patients won’t like or understand every decision that you make and then coerce them to agree to. But do you think they will go around behind your back suggesting that you are stupid or spiteful or only exist to make their lives less fun? I suspect most of them will not. There will be a few who will be especially bitter and twisted souls that will post rude comments and rate you poorly on RateMDs.com but the vast majority won’t because they will respect you and assume that your intentions are good and that you know something they don’t about how the treatment you are recommending benefits them even though it may also have a whole host of adverse effects. Will you be deserving of their respect and good assumptions? Maybe. But either way, the person who leans towards the kinder and more likely interpretation will probably also have less conflict with others and will be more content with their life overall. If all I need to do to be content and not spend my life arguing with people is to respect others and assume the best about their intentions, even if they are admins, I think I’ll do it.

• Okay...
  • Haha
The only way this post gets better is if we find out this person is an NP lol
This is also disrespectful and inappropriate. How would being an NP make any difference at all to how entertaining you find my perspective. People’s professions don’t determine their attitudes towards others, although people with certain attitudes may be drawn to certain professions. That NP who defends the administrative professional’s decision, whatever it may be, is being a team player and giving the admin the benefit of the doubt.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Haha, very clever. But you’re wrong. I’m a first year resident that just happens to respect other people and the jobs that they do. I bet your patients won’t like or understand every decision that you make and then coerce them to agree to. But do you think they will go around behind your back suggesting that you are stupid or spiteful or only exist to make their lives less fun? I suspect most of them will not. There will be a few who will be especially bitter and twisted souls that will post rude comments and rate you poorly on RateMDs.com but the vast majority won’t because they will respect you and assume that your intentions are good and that you know something they don’t about how the treatment you are recommending benefits them even though it may also have a whole host of adverse effects. Will you be deserving of their respect and good assumptions? Maybe. But either way, the person who leans towards the kinder and more likely interpretation will probably also have less conflict with others and will be more content with their life overall. If all I need to do to be content and not spend my life arguing with people is to respect others and assume the best about their intentions, even if they are admins, I think I’ll do it.

Dear first year resident, I don’t think you get the real taste of patients yet. I am only a fourth year medical student but I worked in health care before, and most patients don’t complain to their doctors. They complain to the people who they spend most time with: nurses, CNA etc. It also depend on the population and specialty...

Was I arrogant? Nah

Was I arrogant? Nah

I’m not crying, although maybe I should because your inappropriate, arrogant,

Dear first year resident, I don’t think you get the real taste of patients yet. I am only a fourth year medical student but I worked in health care before, and most patients don’t complain to their doctors. They complain to the people who they spend most time with: nurses, CNA etc. It also depend on the population and specialty...
What does that even mean? I didn’t say that patients would complain to their doctors. The person whose post I objected to wasn’t complaining to admins either. I think it’s fine to address concerns about decisions face to face and in a productive and respectful way. That serves to improve everyone’s understanding of the situation and rationale behind the decision, etc.

I was commenting on the toxicity of posting grossly ignorant opinion as though it were fact and how doing so is disrespectful of our colleagues and serves to perpetuate all that is bad about the culture of medicine.

I may be a first year resident but that doesn’t preclude me from having worked with patients before. And maybe your experience of patients complaining to nurses about doctors highlights that patients are aware of how arrogance and unprofessional comments strongly suggest that their perspective will not be valued by the doctor so they don’t even waste their time trying.

This is also disrespectful and inappropriate. How would being an NP make any difference at all to how entertaining you find my perspective. People’s professions don’t determine their attitudes towards others, although people with certain attitudes may be drawn to certain professions. That NP who defends the administrative professional’s decision, whatever it may be, is being a team player and giving the admin the benefit of the doubt.

What does that even mean? I didn’t say that patients would complain to their doctors. The person whose post I objected to wasn’t complaining to admins either. I think it’s fine to address concerns about decisions face to face and in a productive and respectful way. That serves to improve everyone’s understanding of the situation and rationale behind the decision, etc.

I was commenting on the toxicity of posting grossly ignorant opinion as though it were fact and how doing so is disrespectful of our colleagues and serves to perpetuate all that is bad about the culture of medicine.

I may be a first year resident but that doesn’t preclude me from having worked with patients before. And maybe your experience of patients complaining to nurses about doctors highlights that patients are aware of how arrogance and unprofessional comments strongly suggest that their perspective will not be valued by the doctor so they don’t even waste their time trying.

Yeah this should've been satire. Now it's just sad

• Dislike
Reactions: 9 users

...fun loving self is having a blast dunking on these admins?

Honestly, I don't understand why you're on their side. They haven't screwed with you yet?

• Dislike

Lol. These bloated administrations only serve to perpetuate their own existence. They have to make underling's lives difficult, because otherwise how would they spend their days? It doesn't actually need to serve any purpose. There are plenty of these hangers-on in any medical school, and in fact, throughout medicine in general. They are the cause of toxicity in medicine, not the powerless medical students and residents. What we ought to do is "trim the fat," and cut these positions. We could lower tuition and healthcare costs dramatically.

I hope you are actually an admin, because at least I wouldn't feel so bad for how defensive you became as soon as someone spoke some truth about admin. If you truly are a resident, that makes me sad.

Last edited:
Spoke truth about some admin? Yes I’m sure that most admins have no better motivation behind their decisions than making poor medical students’ and residents’ lives hell.
If they truly had malicious intentions, your life would be much more hellish.

And you honestly don’t think that comments like the one made about admins contribute to the toxic culture of medicine? I suppose you also don’t think any physicians or residents are ever disrespectful of other health professionals.

I’m sorry that my views make you sad, but I truly am a resident. I’m not an admin in any medical schools or health care systems and never have been one. I suppose it’s only fitting that your views make me equally sad, because until those views change the culture of medicine will continue to be as toxic as it is today.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Yeah this should've been satire. Now it's just sad
It was sad long before I posted. Trying to pass comments like this off as humor is sad. The fact that so many of you support the comments is sadder. And the fact that the poster doesn’t even see his comments as being arrogant or uninformed and thinks that it’s okay to be unprofessional if you frame it as humor is even sadder still.

• Okay...