Some1 Explain PLZ...Kaplan blue book 2007-2008 Page 912 (answer to question #12)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DDSguyLA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain this to me please??
From kaplan blue book 2007-08 edition. page 912 (answer to question 12 in chapter 8 of Gen Chem)

I still don't undrestand this question...
How are we supposed to know in an (Aq) solution... I.E. NaCl in aqueous solution should be counted as 4 moles When the question clearly says 117g of NaCl which is ONLY 2 moles??

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

your right.....it is 2 moles if the question said NONDISASSOICIATED or NONVOLATILE.....however the thing you gotta notice is that NaCl will disassoicate in a aqueous solution

H2O
NaCl ----) Na+ + Cl- therefore you have 2moles from the one mole of NaCl.......so again 117/58.5 is 2moles but since NaCl disassoicates to two moles u have 2 x 2 which is 4....i hope this helped

your right.....it is 2 moles if the question said NONDISASSOICIATED or NONVOLATILE.....however the thing you gotta notice is that NaCl will disassoicate in a aqueous solution

H2O
NaCl ----) Na+ + Cl- therefore you have 2moles from the one mole of NaCl.......so again 117/58.5 is 2moles but since NaCl disassoicates to two moles u have 2 x 2 which is 4....i hope this helped

Well said! :thumbup: