SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Something I wanted to share (short video)...please watch and share

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by botch, Apr 9, 2007.

1. botch

botch UC Davis c/o 2011

Jan 27, 2007
    For my first real post here I wanted to share a short video I put together while an undergraduate working in an animal shelter. I know posting it here is akin to preaching to the choir, but perhaps you know others that could benefit from watching. When I started work at the shelter 4 years ago, I began a photojournal in hopes of sharing with other vet school students some of my experiences. I gathered a small percentage of the pictures together and made a short movie. It has turned out to be a great educational tool, spreading the word about not only the need for companion animal sterilization, but also owner responsibility. The video has been much more successful than I ever imagined it could be (500,000+ views in the past year), and I have had it translated into 10 seperate languages to help further spread the word. It is now supposidly going to be part of a veterinary ethics class at Western Univ., and possibly part of the shelter medicine program at Cornell.
    Feel free to share it wherever someone may learn something from it.

Warning: There are some slightly graphic pictures in the video, but this is the reality of my pre-vet experience.

Turn your speakers on.....

video

http://brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

website only

http://brightlion.com/

Let me know what you think

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jnt179

jnt179 2+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2007
    That was very good! Awesome eye opener.

4. texlaevis

texlaevis 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Weslaco, TX
    wow, how funny (not the video, the coincidence)! while researching info to develop a spay/neuter education program in my area i stumbled upon this video online. who knew that i'd stumble across it again with my forum addiction. i thought it was a good video, but didn't want to use it for elementary ed, since i thought it might make all the little kids cry/have nightmares... although maybe that's what it takes...:(

5. HiatusAfflatus

HiatusAfflatus 2+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2007
    awesome...really words don't do justice

6. 4theanimals

4theanimals 2+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Fort Collins, CO
    Great video. Unfortunately, much of it looks very familiar to me. I also spent a large part of my pre-vet experience at a local shelter. But one thing it did give me was such a respect for the work shelter vets do and a potential career path. I took pictures of many of our cases, but I wouldn't ever have the technical know-how to create such a thing...good for you.

7. Pennymare

Pennymare Ohio State Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Botch,

I saved the link. Great way to present the terrible truths of overpopulation----makes me want to take over a high school class and make them watch it. Thanks for posting it, hopefully it can get put to out there more.

8. RazorDoc2010

RazorDoc2010 Mizzou 2011 2+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Missouri
    that was really a great job...I just gave a speech on overpopulation/spay-neuter today...too bad I hadn't seen this yet!

If you're into seeing another, more documentary-type one, try to find one called "Born to Die" made by the Las Vegas animal shelters.

9. MissBehavior

MissBehavior Junior Member 2+ Year Member

May 29, 2006
    Arizona
    Great idea, Pennymare, and well done, Botch. I wish every kid was required to take a "Responsible Animal Ownership 101" class, or something like that, gruesome pictures and all. I really think education is the key to solving this problem. Sure, there are people out there who really don't care, but I think there are plenty more who just don't know any better.

10. Serendipity4

Serendipity4 U of MN Class of 2011 2+ Year Member

Mar 8, 2007
    Botch:
    This video is truly excellent (and poignant). I help run an Animal Welfare Association at my college -- would it be alright with you if we showed it during one of our meetings/campus events?

11. HeartSong

HeartSong Okstate 2010 5+ Year Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Oklahoma

Oh my goodness! I've seen lots of videos on this, but this one to have shelter workers there explaining it and their personal experiences, wow. They say that a picture is worth 1000 words, but the words of those workers, they just hit me more. Here's a link for those who want to check it out. http://www.borntodiepets.com/html/shelter_video.htm

12. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl UC Davis SVM 2012 5+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    WOW.

I always say to my coworkers, "If only the people who surrender/overbreed/neglect their animals could go into the freezer and see the barrels, maybe they will think twice before doing it again." You've captured it brilliantly. Hope you don't mind if I pass the link along!

13. botch

botch UC Davis c/o 2011

Jan 27, 2007
    Feel free to show this wherever it needs to be seen, pass the link along as you wish. Thanks.

14. CookieBear

CookieBear 5+ Year Member

Oct 1, 2006
    East Coast
    Well done. I hope it helps make a difference.

I'll share it lots.