Something I'm Worried About (enter frowny face)

Started by b33feater
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

b33feater

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! Like a lot of people, I've been a lurker for quite a while now but I finally decided to make an account. So here's the situation that I hope everyone can help me out with.

I got a POM (possession of marijuana) charge that was dismissed and I'm planning on getting it expunged next summer. It sucks because you have to wait 2 years after a charge gets dismissed in order to get it expunged here in Texas. I'm pretty sure this question has been brought up before but I just needed to post a thread for myself. PT is what I want to do and I don't want my dumb mistake holding me back. So the question is, if my charge gets expunged, will that hold me back from being accepted into PT schools? I plan on going to school up in New York so I can be close to family. Will this hold me back from getting licensed? I've asked my lawyer and he's reassured me that once the dismissed charge is expunged, the record of it will be removed from all data bases and won't even appear in criminal background checks. I was never convicted or anything so I'm not sure if that helps. Does anybody know of anyone who has been okay after my situation?

please Please PLEAse PLEASEEEEE let me know!

Cheers,
b33f
 
Hey everyone! Like a lot of people, I've been a lurker for quite a while now but I finally decided to make an account. So here's the situation that I hope everyone can help me out with.

I got a POM (possession of marijuana) charge that was dismissed and I'm planning on getting it expunged next summer. It sucks because you have to wait 2 years after a charge gets dismissed in order to get it expunged here in Texas. I'm pretty sure this question has been brought up before but I just needed to post a thread for myself. PT is what I want to do and I don't want my dumb mistake holding me back. So the question is, if my charge gets expunged, will that hold me back from being accepted into PT schools? I plan on going to school up in New York so I can be close to family. Will this hold me back from getting licensed? I've asked my lawyer and he's reassured me that once the dismissed charge is expunged, the record of it will be removed from all data bases and won't even appear in criminal background checks. I was never convicted or anything so I'm not sure if that helps. Does anybody know of anyone who has been okay after my situation?

please Please PLEAse PLEASEEEEE let me know!


Cheers,
b33f


I have a similar situation but with retail theft. I was arrested but not convicted of any wrongdoing. The case was thrown out and dismissed but the arrest still appears on my record. It takes about a year for an arrest to get expunged from your record, after you have filed the proper paperwork.

Even with that being said you were not convicted of any wrongdoing. As long as your record is expunged before you start your clinical rotations, I don't anticipate this being a problem for you. It should not hinder your admittance into a PT program as well; background checks are done after you have been accepted. Most only care about convictions not so much arrests. You should be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol don't quote me man, I'm just going off of what my program has told me. They said they weren't 100% positive. I got admitted to a program but have not started yet. I should actually be completing my background check sometime this month so I can get you know how that went for me afterwards....don't think I'll have a problem though.
 
Lol don't quote me man, I'm just going off of what my program has told me. They said they weren't 100% positive. I got admitted to a program but have not started yet. I should actually be completing my background check sometime this month so I can get you know how that went for me afterwards....don't think I'll have a problem though.


DID Touro give you info to start the background check already? I haven't received any specifics yet. You can PM me.
 
Contact the school(s) you are interested in and ask them. I know our issue with someone with a felony conviction has to do with the concern about them getting a license after they graduate. So we tell them to contact the Board of the state they may be interested in working in. We do not want them to go through PT school to find out they cannot get licensed, as that would be most unfortunate for them. But schools are usually willing to chat with prospective students and this certainly is a reasonable question to ask.
 
Mine isn't a conviction for anything though. I was simply charged with a POM which was dismissed and will be expunged. But yeah, I should.