Soon-to-be 60 hour resident work week limit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So one of the curriculum deans came to talk to the residents and students on my current rotation today and mentioned that dropping the current 80 hour work week limit for residents to 60 hours/week is currently being discussed (by whoever makes those rules). This isn't the first time I've heard this rumor. Does anyone know more about this and how likely this is?

I think the 80 hour work week was a good idea but 60 hours seems a bit too low...I don't know how they'd do it without extending residencies or increasing the number of residents.

Members don't see this ad.

do residency programs REALLY obey these restrictions?

Is there a problem with the French medical system? Seems like it works well for the French.

I think the 80 hour work week was a good idea but 60 hours seems a bit too low...I don't know how they'd do it without extending residencies or increasing the number of residents.

What if they had decided to make it 60-hours initially? Would you still think 60 is too low, or would you think 80 is too high? A 60-hour week would have been based on something (some European models) rather than just a quasi-random number. Also, if you look at some of the recent data published you'd see that patient adverse events haven't changed since the work-hour restrictions, so one could argue 80 is not enough of a reduction (or, that there is no reason to restrict hours at all, depending on your point of view).

Looks like the the France-ification of American medicine

Of course. I mean, who in their right minds would want to have a semi-normal life where you get to go home to your family and have free time (gasp!) more often? [/sarcasm]

I think this is one of the problems with our training system today. A lot of people whine about it, the long hours, the grueling sleep-deprivation, yet they are the first to jump with some unwarranted criticism the moment someone proposes a better deal. It's almost like it's been carved in our minds that it's a requirement in medicine to endure physical torture in order to be a good doctor.

Reactions: 1 user
You guys are forgetting those countries where the residents work less hours have additional years tacked on to their total time in residency. Docs I know from other countries say it takes about 6 years of residency to become a GP (their version of a Family Physician) or IM, where here the residency is 3 years. Would you rather work more hours and finishing residency sooner or work less hours and be a resident for a few more years? There's no easy way out.

You guys are forgetting those countries where the residents work less hours have additional years tacked on to their total time in residency. Docs I know from other countries say it takes about 6 years of residency to become a GP (their version of a Family Physician) or IM, where here the residency is 3 years. Would you rather work more hours and finishing residency sooner or work less hours and be a resident for a few more years? There's no easy way out.

Wrong. In many countries 6 years is the total duration of medical school, and you graduate and are able to practice as a GP. Many of those people go into medical school right after high school (because unlike US schools they don't require a bachelor's degree), so really they get off in about the same time as we would.

So one of the curriculum deans came to talk to the residents and students on my current rotation today and mentioned that dropping the current 80 hour work week limit for residents to 60 hours/week is currently being discussed (by whoever makes those rules). This isn't the first time I've heard this rumor. Does anyone know more about this and how likely this is?

that would be sweet :)

I think this is one of the problems with our training system today. A lot of people whine about it, the long hours, the grueling sleep-deprivation, yet they are the first to jump with some unwarranted criticism the moment someone proposes a better deal. It's almost like it's been carved in our minds that it's a requirement in medicine to endure physical torture in order to be a good doctor.
Agreed, but while 80 is still excessive in my opinion, 60 hours in a residency like surgery just isn't feasible. That would mean working 6 days/wk 6am-4pm, which I don't think is sufficient time for residents to operate, manage patients on the floor, have teaching sessions themselves, and do orders/dictate discharges/etc. without sacrificing something.

In fact, an interesting thing one of the residents today brought up was that, since patient care cannot be compromised, the first thing to go when residents are short on time (i.e. always in some fields) is time spent educating their medical students. Much of my surgery rotation was completely devoid of resident-directed teaching because they just didn't have enough time (or didn't care, but that's for another thread), and that's with having 80 hours to do all their work in. Trying to picture doing everything in 60 is hard to fathom.

Wrong. In many countries 6 years is the total duration of medical school, and you graduate and are able to practice as a GP. Many of those people go into medical school right after high school (because unlike US schools they don't require a bachelor's degree), so really they get off in about the same time as we would.

I'm not talking about those countries where graduates are automatically considered a GP right out of med school. A lot of European countries (like England, Ireland) have residencies to become a GP like our FM residencies except in those countries they're about 6 years long, same with becoming an IM doc in those countries. Don't even get started on surgery, I know a few surgeons who trained in other countries where it took them almost a decade post med school just to be a general surgeon where here a general surgery residency is 5 years long. The point is that although they may work shorter hours, their total time in residency is longer by a few years.

There has to be someone complaining for this change to occur. My guess? some residents prob want less hr work weeks.

You know what would fix the problem?

How about we increase the pay for residents? I doubt they would complain if they had a higher salary for their hard work.

From what I have read and heard I think 80 hr work weeks in some specialities are absolutely necessary.

Increase pay and everyones happy! everyone that matters at least haa.

undergraduate medical education (ie. obtaining your primary medical degree MD, MBBS, etc)

is seperate from graduate medical education (ie. residency/registrar training in a medical or surgical specialtity)

GP training in the US and Canada is usually 3 years long.. it is usually about 5 years in length in the UK. (this is AFTER obtaining your medical degree)

By the way.. the doctor of medicine (MD) earned in the US and the bachelor of medicine (MBBS) earned in the UK are 100% equal degrees. When an MBBS graduate obtains ECMFG certification and US state medical license. They are allowed to use the title "MD" after their name. Similarly.. when a US MD graduate obtains licensure in the UK, they are allowed to use the "MBBS" title after their name when signing documents, etc.

Many places that have shorter working hours for residents usually have longer programs. However, their residents usually get paid more than their US counterparts as well. Some actually pay residents an hourly wage and if they take call they earn time and a half. Instead of just getting a flat salary of 30-40k and getting worked to the bone.. would you rather have a residency a year or to longer and not have to work as much and get better compensated (say.. 70-95k)?

Wrong. In many countries 6 years is the total duration of medical school,

Many of those people go into medical school right after high school (because unlike US schools they don't require a bachelor's degree), so really they get off in about the same time as we would.

Also, FYI.. just because the degree is titled a "bachelors" doesn't mean that may not require a previous degree.. over half of the Australian medical schools are 4 year programs identical to US and require a previous bachelors for admission and a great score on the GAMSAT exam (the australian MCAT). Yet, they still grant MBBS degrees.

Also, many of the medical schools in the UK now are changing to 4 year programs that require a previous degree.. but again. Still grant a "bachelors of medicine degree".

Flinders University offers a 4 year graduate bachelor of medicine course as well as a 6 year combined medical degree/ PhD. http://som.flinders.edu.au/HTML/COURSES/GEMP/

Sydney University offers both a 4 year MBBS program and an accelerated 7-year combined BSc/MBBS program:
http://www.science.usyd.edu.au/fstudent/undergrad/course/com-scimed.shtml

There are still programs in the US (for example) UMKC which offers a 6 year medical (MD) program for students out of High school and doesn't require the MCAT.

McMaster medical school in Canada offers an MD in 3 years and doesn't require the MCAT and accepts students with 3 years bachelors degrees also allowing students to finish in 6 years.

Agreed, but while 80 is still excessive in my opinion, 60 hours in a residency like surgery just isn't feasible. That would mean working 6 days/wk 6am-4pm, which I don't think is sufficient time for residents to operate, manage patients on the floor, have teaching sessions themselves, and do orders/dictate discharges/etc. without sacrificing something. .

Residents in programs with 60 hr limits in reality work 90-100 hrs still just like their US counterparts, they just have the option to take off if they are tired without getting "fired". Also, when they do work longer they get better reimbursed.

I think that is the idea behind the change. :) No one is actually saying that surgery residents in other countries ditch their patients early to have beers when they need to stick around a bit longer.

Is there a problem with the French medical system? Seems like it works well for the French.

You should take a look at the French economy pre- and post-"liberal utopia, everybody get along and spend the entire summer on vacation, defined work hour" society that started post-WWII and became really ingrained in the national culture during the 1970s.

Many places that have shorter working hours for residents usually have longer programs. However, their residents usually get paid more than their US counterparts as well. Some actually pay residents an hourly wage and if they take call they earn time and a half. Instead of just getting a flat salary of 30-40k and getting worked to the bone.. would you rather have a residency a year or to longer and not have to work as much and get better compensated (say.. 70-95k)?

What they probably should do is obey the letter and spirit of anti-trust legislation and renounce their congressional exemption contained in an omnibus spending bill (I'm talking about the match) and allow us to compete for residency spots AND wages just like any other worker. Hospitals make about $100k for every resident, yet their pay is less than half that because they're the ones running the monopoly.

60 hours/week just wouldn't work out, and I don't mean just for surgery. Even with 80 hours/week, you're simply not in the hospital when many important things happen with your patients, and your learning suffers and care will suffer too. You're that patient's doctor, and you need to be 100% on top of their care. That's hard to do when you're at home watching TV.
As a med student, you learn quickly that while Golden Weekends are nice, it sucks to come back in Monday, see a census that doesn't look anything like Friday's, and spend the morning scrambling to catch up.

Perhaps the ACGME could consider an OPTIONAL 60 hour week with time added to the residency, for those who wish to go on the mommy/daddy track. But honestly, people, you volunteered for this, it's only a couple of years (nonsurgical senior residents already work closer to 60 hours than 80), and you had 4+ years of warning to organize your family life.

Or, how about more $$$ or an extra week of vacation?

I think that is the idea behind the change. :) No one is actually saying that surgery residents in other countries ditch their patients early ... when they need to stick around a bit longer.

Um, that is exactly what happens in the US under the 80 hour requirement. It isn't optional. Folks are told, sorry you cannot scrub into that surgery, you have hit your limit. I've known surgical residents who are very annoyed with the 80 hour limit precisely because it is not optional. But programs can lose their accredition if they don't keep everybody within the 80 hour requirement. Some play fast and loose with it by having official sign ins and sign outs and simply not counting any time the resident is working before or after these deadlines. Other programs have had difficulty staying within the limit and been put on probationary status. But by and large places have managed to comply by instituting night float systems and otherwise spreading their residents fairly thin.

There currently aren't enough residents out there to do the work if you wanted to lop another 20 hours off the schedule. So it would cost the government big money to push it down to a 60 hour week. And I don't really think there is much motivation to do this at present time. The driving force behind the 80 hour week was a very high publicity lawsuit (the Libby Zion case). Until a similarly high publicity suit suggests someone making mistakes during their last 20 hours of a shift, don't expect more changes. The impetus to put the huge sums of money into the system simply isn't there. It's not just a matter of declaring it so, it's a matter of adding 20% more interns at a cost to the government of over a 100k per intern. And in a year when everybody is saying healthcare costs too much I think folks are looking for ways to reduce the bottom line, not add more to it.

So I'd bet this won't happen in quite a few years, if ever. The OPs dean is voicing optimism that simply won't fly when someone has to cut the checks.

Disclaimer: As an Emergency Medicine Resident I probably work less than 60 hours per week, usually around 50...but I did do two traditional intern years.

I'd rather do an extra year of residency with decent hours.

a few previous threads :
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=498283
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=497748

probably one of the most important/relevant posts from the first thread:
At the last APDIM meeting, the medicine RRC chair was asked about this. They responded that there was no such ongoing discussion to their knowledge, and no interest in decreasing workhours further.

Much of the push for this was over concerns for patient safety. Some focused studies had suggested that medical errors were decreased when duty hours were lowered. However, this study post implementation of the 80 hour rule failed to demonstrate any change in mortality.

I doubt we will see any further lowering of the 80 hour limit.

60 hours/week just wouldn't work out, and I don't mean just for surgery. Even with 80 hours/week, you're simply not in the hospital when many important things happen with your patients, and your learning suffers and care will suffer too. You're that patient's doctor, and you need to be 100% on top of their care. That's hard to do when you're at home watching TV.
As a med student, you learn quickly that while Golden Weekends are nice, it sucks to come back in Monday, see a census that doesn't look anything like Friday's, and spend the morning scrambling to catch up.

Perhaps the ACGME could consider an OPTIONAL 60 hour week with time added to the residency, for those who wish to go on the mommy/daddy track. But honestly, people, you volunteered for this, it's only a couple of years (nonsurgical senior residents already work closer to 60 hours than 80), and you had 4+ years of warning to organize your family life.

Search for "Harvard Work Hours, Health and Safety Group" for a pile of references.

Here's a list of that group's published research:

https://workhours.bwh.harvard.edu/2007-12-01_HWHHSG_Manuscripts.html

Conclusions from http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/18/1829:
"Eliminating interns' extended work shifts in an intensive care unit significantly increased sleep and decreased attentional failures during night work hours."

From http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/351/18/1838:
"Interns made substantially more serious medical errors when they worked frequent shifts of 24 hours or more than when they worked shorter shifts. Eliminating extended work shifts and reducing the number of hours interns work per week can reduce serious medical errors in the intensive care unit."

From: http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/296/9/1055
"Extended work duration and night work were associated with an increased risk of percutaneous injuries in this study population of physicians during their first year of clinical training."

"In months in which interns worked five or more extended shifts, the risk that they would fall asleep while driving or while stopped in traffic was significantly increased."

These studies can (and have been) criticized for various reasons. Besides methodology and bias concerns, another warning is that by hiring more interns to cover the same amount of ICU time the overall learning opportunities by interns are reduced:
http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/full/352/7/726
This is a long-winded way of saying "when I was the only intern in the hospital over night I learned a lot more than if there had been three interns."

at some point you have to sign out your patient(s)... unless you're advocating for staying in the hospital the entire stay of your patient(s) and/or advocating to being called/paged 24/7/365 (366 in a leap year)! the question is, in my mind at least, when should a physician be heading home since he/she can not stay for ever. it seems that, thus far, the 80 hour rule has shown that patients do no worse than they did before.

at the end of the day, some patients make it through because of what we do. other patients make it through despite what we do (some would call it the grace of God). some patients don't make despite what we do.

(snip) ....

There currently aren't enough residents out there to do the work if you wanted to lop another 20 hours off the schedule. So it would cost the government big money to push it down to a 60 hour week. And I don't really think there is much motivation to do this at present time. The driving force behind the 80 hour week was a very high publicity lawsuit (the Libby Zion case). Until a similarly high publicity suit suggests someone making mistakes during their last 20 hours of a shift, don't expect more changes. The impetus to put the huge sums of money into the system simply isn't there. It's not just a matter of declaring it so, it's a matter of adding 20% more interns at a cost to the government of over a 100k per intern. And in a year when everybody is saying healthcare costs too much I think folks are looking for ways to reduce the bottom line, not add more to it.

So I'd bet this won't happen in quite a few years, if ever. The OPs dean is voicing optimism that simply won't fly when someone has to cut the checks.

Agreed. But then again, isn't there currently a recommendation for an increase in physician training of 15%-20%?

I am not actually for a 60 hour rule (but wouldn't actively campaign against it either probably), but I think the 80 hour rule was certainly warranted and seems to be working out well enough. For me it comes down to the absurdity of a system that basically forces interns/residents to work more than double the average person's working hours for ridiculously low pay (we obviously have no choice, we HAVE to complete a credentialling year just to get a license, plus the rest of a residency if we want hospital privilages anywhere). Even at 80 hours a week, what does it come out to .... something like $9.60/hour, assuming 40k salary? And like you said, many residents still have to work more than this.

It is easy to lose perspective that even an intern almost always has at least 8 years of college/med school training and is dealing with some pretty advanced, high-pressure, high-stress work. Not to mention that interns and residents are in many ways considered to provide the the backbone of medical decision making for our entire hospital system. For less than 10 bucks an hour? The lawnmower guy at Home Depot makes more than that! (I think it was like 11-12 bucks/hour in my town). And the lawnmower guy didn't have to take out 200k+ in loans to get there. Granted, the idea is that it all pays off in the end in both professional/personal satisfaction and monitary returns. But for many, the cost/benefit of the process is becoming less and less appealing in an era where the future path of American health care is in question and the typical conception of what it means to be a "success" is changing, for better or for worse.

Now I knew what I was getting into and still chose to go into this profession of course. But things still are kinda screwy. Why arn't regular worker protections that apply to virtually every other job classification in the country applicable to residents as well? Practival reasons? I am sure. But it wold surely be less costly and more lucrative for all other professions to be exempt from worker protections as well, right?

In Canada, GP (FM) residency training is only 2 years. There is an optional 3rd yr for additional training in emergency/anesthesia. Other than that, many residencies in Canada are 1 yr longer than US (e.g. OB 5 yr, EM 4 yr).

What we do not know about the 80 hr work week is why there has been no change in pt outcomes. The decreased risk due to physician fatigue may be balanced by increased risk due to handoffs and communication errors. Going to a 60-hr week only increases handoff risk. It also greatly increases the number of residents required to staff a given service, and thus the cost of providing the service.

I don't believe we will ever see a 60-hr work week restriction. If that's what you want, then choose a specialty and site with shorter hours.

The proposed increase in med school enrollment is meant to address an increased demand, not free up current residents. Youd still need another 20% on top of that. It wont happen.

The proposed increase in med school enrollment is meant to address an increased demand

How will that help? Won't they just take spots previously occupied by IMGs, resulting in no change in the number of board certified physicians entering practice in the US each year?

What we do not know about the 80 hr work week is why there has been no change in pt outcomes. The decreased risk due to physician fatigue may be balanced by increased risk due to handoffs and communication errors. Going to a 60-hr week only increases handoff risk. It also greatly increases the number of residents required to staff a given service, and thus the cost of providing the service.

The horrors of the night float system.

Regarding the 80 hour week failing to demonstrate any improvement in mortality - is it because they are still really working 100 hours?

Now if a 60 hour rule goes into effect - I fear it would mean doing 100 hours and getting credit for 60.

There is nothing wrong with having a 60 hour work week for residency. The vast majority of the resident's time is spent doing non-educational activity. The scut will simply have to be cut out. The hospitals will have to hire someone else to fill out the jaco forms (irrelevent anyway), draw labs (phlebotomist should be doing this), transport patients (hire transporters), etc etc etc.
Very little of the day is spent "learning."

-The Trifling Jester

Mmm.. I figured I'd piss off the old G-Surg people around here with my opinion.

For all you people who think G-Surg cannot be done with 60 hours. Start being honest with yourself for a change (I bet it's mostly the G-Surg senior residents and attendings).

How much BS did you do in your intern year? Don't come and tell me you operated EVERY day in GENERAL SURGERY. IMHO I think General Surgery has sooooooo much BS in it that is unuseful. It's already trending towards "If you don't have a fellowship, you wont do any surgery that reimburises anything worthwhile". Lap app and Lap choles? Do they even make any more money?

Surgery needs to cut a lot of the BS off. Have medicine admit most of their patients and manage them... they only do the surgery and drop them back to the main medicine team. Check on them occasionally and if need be, get called to retake them to the OR. This would cut down on sooo much time of the G-Surg.

G-Surg could also begin to itemize their advancement instead of actually "doing rotations". Say you need 50 lap choles to advance and 50 lap appys to advance to fourth year. So, start doing them with whichever attending is letting you do them in the program and after you got your 50, move on to fullfill some other requirement. Yes, I appreciate that doing lap chole number 300 is important for your learning curve... but it's not for the requirement and you have more important things to do in those 5 years.. fullfill the minimum requirement. You are in the G-Surg residency to learn when to operate and how to operate. It's not that hard to itemize that.

Seriously, I would so extend my residency by one year if I had a 60 hr work week! That means living life like a somewhat normal person and not being tired and exhausted all the time, sign me up! Actually , there has been some recent small studies that have shown there are no loss of procedures due to the works hours but in some case increased the number of procedures b/c night float! Go figure but I would choose to do an extra year for a bit more normal life!

In EM residencies, clinical work is limited to 60 hours per week, and 72 hours for all activities. That underscores the difference in the specialties - almost no downtime in the ED, but IM and Gen Surg are at the mercy of their attendings, and there is so much time inefficiency that is unavoidable. It is evident when you see general surgeons in community practice, and how quickly they can get cases done in the OR.

If hours are cut, they won't cut the scut. The current system creates a monopoly, and someone is going to write the discharge summaries.

New lawyers working at the big firms often work 80+ hours a week, but they are ofte paid very well to essentially train. Anyone can put up a shingle and become the equivalent of a legal GP and no one will question them, fail to provide a court license (j/k), or limit their income. They can learn on the job. There are also lower pay jobs with fewer hours.

Med school should be three years. The fourth year should be the equivalent of a TY internship with real responsibility. Residency should then be optional after that. If they weren't a licensing requirement, they'd have to pay real moey to fill.

If hours are cut, they won't cut the scut. The current system creates a monopoly, and someone is going to write the discharge summaries.

New lawyers working at the big firms often work 80+ hours a week, but they are ofte paid very well to essentially train. Anyone can put up a shingle and become the equivalent of a legal GP and no one will question them, fail to provide a court license (j/k), or limit their income. They can learn on the job. There are also lower pay jobs with fewer hours.

Med school should be three years. The fourth year should be the equivalent of a TY internship with real responsibility. Residency should then be optional after that. If they weren't a licensing requirement, they'd have to pay real moey to fill.

:thumbup: I don't think I ever heard it said so truthfully...

if everything but resident physician hours stayed the same, maybe it's not the resident physicians causing the problem(s) in the first place. resident physicians are not the only people/factor in the hospital that affect patient outcomes.

Surgery needs to cut a lot of the BS off. Have medicine admit most of their patients and manage them... they only do the surgery and drop them back to the main medicine team. Check on them occasionally and if need be, get called to retake them to the OR. This would cut down on sooo much time of the G-Surg.

Quit stealing our ideas.

I take a day off from SDN, and look what happens. So many things to discuss. Hard to know where to start:

The RRC-IM released, in draft form, the new requirements for IM residencies. It's freely available on the ACGME website if you are interested, its a great cure for insomnia (choose "review and comment" from the main page www.acgme.org, and follow the links from there). The RRC-IM is usually on the cutting edge of duty hour rules (with a tip-o-the-hat to EM, more on that below). There is nothing about a decrease in the 80 hour workweek. I expect this will be decreased in the future, but not the near future.

There has to be someone complaining for this change to occur. My guess? some residents prob want less hr work weeks.

You know what would fix the problem?

How about we increase the pay for residents? I doubt they would complain if they had a higher salary for their hard work.

From what I have read and heard I think 80 hr work weeks in some specialities are absolutely necessary.

Increase pay and everyones happy! everyone that matters at least haa.

Most of the driver is the patient safety movement, not residents complaining. Whether decreasing hours increases patient safety is unclear (as other posts in this thread document). I am all for increasing resident salaries -- it's just hard to do so as medicine gets squeezed financially from all directions.

When an MBBS graduate obtains ECMFG certification and US state medical license. They are allowed to use the title "MD" after their name.

This is not so clear. Some states (NY notably) used to have a process where someone with an MBBS could submit their degree with a fee and get an "MD" in return. That process has been stopped, I believe. At the current time in most states, your degree is what it is -- you should be proud of your MBBS, DO, or MD. Simply putting MD after your name might be considered fraud, and should be avoided unless you have clear documentation that it is acceptable.

What they probably should do is obey the letter and spirit of anti-trust legislation and renounce their congressional exemption contained in an omnibus spending bill (I'm talking about the match) and allow us to compete for residency spots AND wages just like any other worker. Hospitals make about $100k for every resident, yet their pay is less than half that because they're the ones running the monopoly.

This is very complicated. Are you sure you want to let market forces control this? I get one email each week from an IMG offering to do a residency for free. Various specialties in IM used to not have a match, and their salaries were no better without the match. Programs currently advertise their salaries before the match, and you are free to rank them based on salary if you wish. If residents do so, programs will increase salary to be more competitive, even with a match. I;m not convinced it's the match that's the problem.

As for resident funding, yes programs get about $100K for each resident. However, when you add all the direct costs for residents -- salary, benefits, salary support for PD's and PA's, match costs, accreditation costs, GME office costs, space for the residency program, etc, it ends up being not a huge money maker.

Before Faebinder complains, however, this ignores the indirect cost savings that residents provide -- i.e. the cost of hiring someone else to do the work that you are doing. That's where most of the "money making" is.

This would be a nightmare to organize as a PD. Creating a ward rotation that's 80 hours for one person and 60 hours for another is a mess. Some programs already offered shared spots -- two people share one spot, work half time for twice the length. I don't think they're very popular, but I may be wrong.

As I mentioned above, I'm all for more salary for residents, but I don't know where it's coming from. Our medical system (and the entire government, for that matter) is going bankrupt. We continue to borrow more and more money, counting on the economy to grow further (so that the percentage of debt remains stable). That works great while the economy is growing. When it shrinks, it's a disaster. That's exactly what happened to the housing market in the US.

Disclaimer: As an Emergency Medicine Resident I probably work less than 60 hours per week, usually around 50...but I did do two traditional intern years.

I'd rather do an extra year of residency with decent hours.

ED has a distinct advantage in this regard to IM or GS -- there is no "patient continuity". You can work a shift, sign out, and when you come to your next shift all the patients have changed. Once you expect some patient continuity, building a schedule that max'es at 60 hours is very difficult.

Then again, ED training is 4 years, compared to IM's 3.

How will that help? Won't they just take spots previously occupied by IMGs, resulting in no change in the number of board certified physicians entering practice in the US each year?

Yes, they will. As US medical schools increase enrollment (which they will do as they are hurting for $$ also, and more students is more $$), they will take people further down on their admission lists. This will "steal" people from the DO and Carib IMG schools, so those schools will also admit people lower on their lists. The US cannot afford to open more residency slots, as Medicare is already going bankrupt, so the net result will be more US grads and less DO/IMG's in allopathic residency slots.

There is nothing wrong with having a 60 hour work week for residency. The vast majority of the resident's time is spent doing non-educational activity. The scut will simply have to be cut out. The hospitals will have to hire someone else to fill out the jaco forms (irrelevent anyway), draw labs (phlebotomist should be doing this), transport patients (hire transporters), etc etc etc.
Very little of the day is spent "learning."

-The Trifling Jester

This is where things get really tricky. The scut listed above is completely unacceptable. In IM, it is completely forbidden by our accreditation rules. However, there is lots of "pseudo-scut" -- things that have some but little value. Discharge summaries are a good example -- you clearly need to know how to do them, but how many do you have to do to get good at them? Calling radiology to get a CT for your patient -- you could have a secretary do this, but what happens when the schedular on the other side says "We can do it in 6 hours", is that good enough? If you call yourself, you can triage how important it is. How to offload this from residents is unclear -- each resident could get a "personal assistant", but again it's unclear if this would really help.

Seriously, I would so extend my residency by one year if I had a 60 hr work week! That means living life like a somewhat normal person and not being tired and exhausted all the time, sign me up! Actually , there has been some recent small studies that have shown there are no loss of procedures due to the works hours but in some case increased the number of procedures b/c night float! Go figure but I would choose to do an extra year for a bit more normal life!

And many others would disagree and complain that they wanted to finish in one year less. I guess some programs could offer a 60/4 program, and others an 80/3, and let the match / market forces sort it out. Congress would need to authorize the additional funds for the 4th year, or programs would need to absorb the added cost.

Scut - see notes above.

Lawyers are not a completely fair comparison. A few lawyers get to work at the big firms and make big bucks. Many don't. Law firms are not bound by the same financial issues as hospitals -- they can bill what they want, and their clients pay. Rarely do people have legal emergencies at 2AM.

Three years of med school is not completely unreasonable. I assume you are suggesting combining 1st and 2nd year into a single year. if you're suggesting leaving years 1-3 alone and simply dropping the 4th year, it leaves the problem of when you would look for a residency program. In the middle of your 3rd year, before you've completed all of your core clerkships?

More than 80 percent of EM programs are 3 years. There are 1-4 programs, and then the dying breed of 2-4 programs.

People trained in EM make more money than any other 3 year residency. That's why there's the debate of the 4th year of EM at those programs that have a 4th year being the "$150,000 mistake".

Wonder how everyone would feel about going back to 120 hours and cutting a year off residency?

I know the problem with this is seen in the Hopkins case where even the 120 hour week was being violated. A resident fell asleep during a surgery over a patient that was opened. He had worked over the 120 hour limit. He alleges that Hopkins was farming him out to another hospital for a profit in addition to the then 120 hour limit.

The 80 hour limit has been in place about 4 years. I don't know that many conclusions could be drawn about how it is working.

Just remember what residency looked like a few years ago. 120 versus 80 is a big change.

Quit stealing our ideas.

interestingly enough, in the community, this is the growing expectation of insurance companies/hmo's/hospitals... that the hospitalist (im) and the surgeon can work together.

on a few of my interviews for a hospitalist position, i was asked point blank how comfortable i felt about diagnosing and managing cholecystits and appendicitis. since i do it now in residency (advantage of a community program without general surgery residents i suppose), i'm comfortable with it.

for it to work in residency, you'd have to have both camps agree to it, and be willing to work together. provided you had general surgery residents operating more (what they want), and internal medicine residents getting timely consults (what they want) it could work.

i think, in many ways, thinking about the hours really will make program directors think about ways to make residency more efficiency. i.e. cutting out the inefficiency.

ED has a distinct advantage in this regard to IM or GS -- there is no "patient continuity". You can work a shift, sign out, and when you come to your next shift all the patients have changed. Once you expect some patient continuity, building a schedule that max'es at 60 hours is very difficult.

even with patient continuinity, there's inefficiency in the "system". provided you have true q3-4 call (not long call on day one, followed by being post call, then short call day 3, post short call, then long call again), once patients have been seen, rounding has occurred, decisions made, orders entered, patients stable... leave the hospital. if that happens at 2 pm and you came in at 7 am, that's great. if it happens at 5 pm, that's not so great... but then again, that seems to generally be what's expected.

if residents did 12 hour shifts, that'd be 5 days a week for 60 hours, with 2 days off.
if residents did 10 hour shifts, that'd be 6 day a week for 60 hours, with 1 day off.

for medicine, most of the "meat" of the day occurs during "normal business hours" when consultants are reasonably around, more staff is around (transporters, techs, cna's), radiology and their techs are in house etc. etc. at night, it's mostly emergencies and stablization. 7am to 4 pm or so is more or less reasonable... but in plenty of programs people stay until 6 pm not on call... an extra 2 hours every non call day can add up over a week.

of course, there's the other argument that at some point, you can't continue to reduce the hours because it becomes damn near impossible.

overall, i'm on the fence about the issue of a further reduction in work hours (i agree with the 80 hour work week) as i was in medical school pre-80 hour work week, and am in residency post-80 hour work week. for me, 80 hours is a good balance. i'd like to see programs strive for 60 hours, but doubt it will happen.

This is where things get really tricky. The scut listed above is completely unacceptable. In IM, it is completely forbidden by our accreditation rules. However, there is lots of "pseudo-scut" -- things that have some but little value. Discharge summaries are a good example -- you clearly need to know how to do them, but how many do you have to do to get good at them? Calling radiology to get a CT for your patient -- you could have a secretary do this, but what happens when the schedular on the other side says "We can do it in 6 hours", is that good enough? If you call yourself, you can triage how important it is. How to offload this from residents is unclear -- each resident could get a "personal assistant", but again it's unclear if this would really help.

more pseudo-scut:
nursing home placement... and its associated forms
arranging home health nurse... and its associated forms
arranging home hospice... and its associated forms
arranging getting a homeless patient to a shelter... and its associated forms
arranging rehab... and its associated forms
disablity forms
social security forms
off work forms
arranging for free medications
arranging outpatient clinic(s) follow up

in the community, some health care plans have people (case/care managers, discharge planners/coordinators, discharge summary dicataters) who will take care of the "pseudo-scut".

more pseudo-scut:
nursing home placement... and its associated forms
arranging home health nurse... and its associated forms
arranging home hospice... and its associated forms
arranging getting a homeless patient to a shelter... and its associated forms
arranging rehab... and its associated forms
disablity forms
social security forms
off work forms
arranging for free medications
arranging outpatient clinic(s) follow up

in the community, some health care plans have people (case/care managers, discharge planners/coordinators, discharge summary dicataters) who will take care of the "pseudo-scut".

Aren't you an IM resident? I expect IM docs, as PCPs, to do these tasks. After fellowship, I would agree with you that specialists shouldn't personally arrange for home health care or fill out work forms. I just assume that social work is included in the job description of a PCP.

Aren't you an IM resident? I expect IM docs, as PCPs, to do these tasks. After fellowship, I would agree with you that specialists shouldn't personally arrange for home health care or fill out work forms. I just assume that social work is included in the job description of a PCP.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

There is a masters and an undergrad degree if you want to go into social work. They pay very well so don't feel too bad.

120 hours! 80 hours! 60 hours! Gaah! How about just three 12s a week! Are ALL residency hours per week that long? And is that just for the first year, or the whole residency? I think I may have erred...

How can you possibly fit in 120 hours a week? 20 hour days seven days a week? That's ridiculous! Seriously!

120 hours! 80 hours! 60 hours! Gaah! How about just three 12s a week! Are ALL residency hours per week that long? And is that just for the first year, or the whole residency? I think I may have erred...

How can you possibly fit in 120 hours a week? 20 hour days seven days a week? That's ridiculous! Seriously!

Seriously? You got this far and didn't realize that the hours were like this? Obviously different specialties have different hours (the ROADies tend to work less, the surgeons/OBs most, the IM/FM/Neuro/Psych folks scattered in the middle there) but yes, as a resident, in just about any specialty w/ ward or unit months, you can count on 70+ hours a week during those months. Ambulatory or consult months will be less but still >40 most of the time. My experience (in a non-malignant IM program w/ night-float coverage on 3/5 inpt rotations) has been:
Wards: 70-90h/wk
ICU/CCU: 80-95h/wk (one of our ICU months is q3 overnight)
Consults (depends on the service): 40-60h/wk
Ambulatory: 40-50h/wk

Lawyers are not a completely fair comparison. A few lawyers get to work at the big firms and make big bucks. Many don't. Law firms are not bound by the same financial issues as hospitals -- they can bill what they want, and their clients pay. Rarely do people have legal emergencies at 2AM.

Three years of med school is not completely unreasonable. I assume you are suggesting combining 1st and 2nd year into a single year. if you're suggesting leaving years 1-3 alone and simply dropping the 4th year, it leaves the problem of when you would look for a residency program. In the middle of your 3rd year, before you've completed all of your core clerkships?

Yes and no. There are many more lawyers graduating per year, and there are a lot more "bottom of the barrel" types of law school positions. The competative nature of getting into medical school is roughly equivalent to that of getting into a top 50 law school, which is where I am making the comparison. I can tell you as someone who knows MANY lawyers, that the clients don't always pay. The system just makes more sense. There are specific public defenders and legal aid groups that intentionally go into charity law. No one expects every private law office to answer to the government's billing system or accept legal insurance or see people who have no intention of paying. Collections are variable from firm to firm and are often based on the success of the case in a lot of personal injury, a truly valid form of pay for performance.

Law is not the same, but it's the closest example.

As far as three years, I actually suspect that by eliminating the first summer, we could cut a few months off of preclinicals and add some clinical electives to the third year with the extra time. You wouldn't need a $30,000/year of tuition + $15,000 in travel costs to interview, because the whole match system wouldn't exist. Residencies would no longer be required. You would interview and accept (or reject) a training position as though you were applying to any other job. As someone who could become licensed and practice general medicine at this point, you will be on much more equal footing when applying to residency (if you even choose to do that).

I can tell you that my medical school has thoroughly trained me to deal effectively with ~99% of outpatient complaints. A year of TY type training would be more than enough for me to handle basic urgent care type medicine and enough to handle basic outpatient management of chronic disease. I would get better over time just like ANY OTHER professional. Now, those that wanted to specialize could do residency. Those that wanted broad FP scope type generalism could do residency. Those that just wanted extra experience could do it, but by making it no longer required, it would probably become much more reasonable. Pay would be better, hours would improve in most specialties to attract people, but the training would have to be good enough, or they'd just leave. No more getting stuck with your program for a license.

Occasionally a program may have greater work hour requirements. In this type of system, no overarching hours mandate is necessary. The market would dictate conditions. In surgery, nothing would stop you from scrubbing that extra case, and a program that created too much scut for its residents would have trouble without its monopoly mandate in continuing to function, so the residents might actually have time to do the extra case. Of course, if the program requires more than 80 hours, and the resident wants to work it, there is really no reason that it shouldn't be allowed. Of course, the program opens itself up to liability.

I take a day off from SDN, and look what happens. So many things to discuss. Hard to know where to start:

As for resident funding, yes programs get about $100K for each resident. However, when you add all the direct costs for residents -- salary, benefits, salary support for PD's and PA's, match costs, accreditation costs, GME office costs, space for the residency program, etc, it ends up being not a huge money maker.

Before Faebinder complains, however, this ignores the indirect cost savings that residents provide -- i.e. the cost of hiring someone else to do the work that you are doing. That's where most of the "money making" is.

Yes, they will. As US medical schools increase enrollment (which they will do as they are hurting for $$ also, and more students is more $$), they will take people further down on their admission lists. This will "steal" people from the DO and Carib IMG schools, so those schools will also admit people lower on their lists. The US cannot afford to open more residency slots, as Medicare is already going bankrupt, so the net result will be more US grads and less DO/IMG's in allopathic residency slots.

Program Director, will we get to the point that med school enrollments increase to the extent that we will start seeing significant numbers of US med school grads unable to obtain residency slots?

Program Director, will we get to the point that med school enrollments increase to the extent that we will start seeing significant numbers of US med school grads unable to obtain residency slots?

The number of allopathic applicants currently is 15.2k to 22.2k positions. Four years ago they were 14.6k applying to 21.2k positions. Assuming the allopathic seniors can displace anyone, they still wont be able to catch up with the number of positions being produced.

IF the rate at which allopathic schools produce students increases then they will start having a problem. Of course if DOs and allopathic graduates and IMGs/FMGs start gaining favors from the program cause of their <insert your favorite reason> then we might see some trouble but honestly the allopathic seniors still dont look like they will struggle. The rest though are in for a rough ride. There are more positions being produced than there are allopathics graduating.

Now, if you would like to add "getting your specialty of choice" in the equation.. it becomes complicated.

for me, arranging for home health consists of 1. deciding the patient is ready for discharge and 2. calling the person who arranges home health (the home health nurse) and letting her go from there.

what she does is: see what medications require a home health nurse (iv antibiotics), figure out what agency takes the patients insurance, making sure said agency has someone that can go when the patient needs to (tonight, tomorrow, q 6 hours for 5 days for an antibiotic for example), and making sure said agency informs the doctor of progress/therapy/changes.

i see her job as invaluable to me as a resident, but i do understand that in some hospitals her equivalent counterpart does not exist... and thus patients who could otherwise be discharged stay in the hospital. after all, not every single patient with endocarditis or osteomyelitis actually needs to stay in the hospital for the duration of his/her iv antibiotics.

nursing home placement... you need to figure out where the patient lives.. what nursing homes are in that area... of those nursing homes, who takes the patients insurance... of those nursing homes, who has openings... once all that's done, getting the patient from the hospital to the nursing home via ambulance which goes down the route of which ambulance service company will go into said area... which company can do it today/tomorrow...

i could go on and on, but i won't. as faebinder pointed out, some places have social workers and other staff to take care of these things. other places don't. while it's important that they get done, it's not necessarily important that the physician (resident or attending) do it.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

There is a masters and an undergrad degree if you want to go into social work. They pay very well so don't feel too bad.

indeed!