Soon to be Walgreens Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mydogatemysuboxone27

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I moved from CVS to Rite Aid, and now I'll be turning Walgreens in two weeks. Can any current Walgreens Pharmacists give me an insight into the company and how it is to work there as a Pharmacist? There are few and far between Walgreens around me so it's hard to ask people.

Members don't see this ad.

In a word horrible. I worked at walgreens for almost 9 years as staff rx and overnighter. It sucks. Dog eat dog. Take marching orders from store managers. Glad to be gone and would never go back. I have also worked at CVS years ago when the rph shortage existed and it wasn't much better. I don't know why you are switching jobs but I would suggest doing something very different if possible all of those employers suck.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I worked for Walgreens as a staff pharmacist for 3 years. It is no better. Store manager is your boss, and some of them can be very nasty. I was unfortunate to have the most vicious human being to be my Rxm. He was a monster. Had to leave without a job lined up. I never looked back. Now i am a staff at CVs. I like it better, and i am making more money.
All in all it is about who you work with. Though i had a very bad experience with Walgreens, i know people who like them more than CVs.

Reactions: 1 users
Life is great at Walgreens

Hey all. I moved from CVS to Rite Aid, and now I'll be turning Walgreens in two weeks. Can any current Walgreens Pharmacists give me an insight into the company and how it is to work there as a Pharmacist? There are few and far between Walgreens around me so it's hard to ask people.

Really? What's the difference between CVS/Rite Aid/WAGs? They treat their RPh like garbage, and they'll toss you out for the next sucker in line.
Leave retail. If you want outpatient, find a hospital or health system affiliated outpatient with better work conditions. My hospital pays outpatient RPh $83/hr and it's easier than any day at Walgreens (Northern CA)

You and pharmacy manager must answer to store manager (who is sometimes just a high school grad with no clue about pharmacy operations). No lunch break at all. Tech hours cut so much and you have to help with counter to do cashier work, while verifying and immunizing at the same time. Only go to WAGS if you're physically fit and athletic. You will be physically destroyed.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it all depends on which store you get, what kind of rxm and store manager you have. My store is busy, but I have a great RXm and store manager, and DM. I like Walgreens, especially my store. When I was floating, I didn’t experience bad store either. Only thing bad is we have a bad scheduler who never find anyone to cover you when you need a day off. We, a bunch of Rph, just look for coverage ourselves.

Start eating for 2 and be ready to really get on your knees

Haha well it sounds like it wasn't too much better than CVS. I'm lucky to have a good store, a good front end manager and a good PDM that is staying in the same position with the takeover. For those who worked at CVS also, is it similar as far as metrics? CVS blew with so many metrics you have to worry about

The best case scenario was during a rotation I did. The store manager used to be a tech. That was great because he wouldn't just stand there and talk with his arms crossed. He would start filling prescriptions, put away drugs, you name it.
The second best case I've seen was a 24 hour store which happens to be one of the busiest in the country and well, the manager was just good with people and people just wanted to do whatever this manager asked for. With the exception of floats, every pharmacist there was great and very professional.
You'll make it work if you want and need the job.
Best of luck!

I have a question, did you actually receive a job offer from rite aid (now walgreens)?

I can tell you, but I'm sure you know by now. Sorry You took a job with WAG. I'd recommend getting out ASAP. They DO NOT care about their pharmacists, trust me. Your workload is going to be ridiculous and exhausting. Furthermore, you are not going to be appreciated because quite frankly in today's saturated market, they really don't need you anyway. You will be treated as such I am sorry. Much of the upper management aren't even pharmacists. If you are a new grad you will be treated below your clerk, trust me. Don't sell yourself to the devil and work retail if you can help it...At least get away from Walgreens.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best case scenario was during a rotation I did. The store manager used to be a tech. That was great because he wouldn't just stand there and talk with his arms crossed. He would start filling prescriptions, put away drugs, you name it.
The second best case I've seen was a 24 hour store which happens to be one of the busiest in the country and well, the manager was just good with people and people just wanted to do whatever this manager asked for. With the exception of floats, every pharmacist there was great and very professional.
You'll make it work if you want and need the job.
Best of luck!
Thanks!

I have a question, did you actually receive a job offer from rite aid (now walgreens)?
Yes, I received an offer from Rite Aid, and then I moved with other Rite Aid employees to Walgreens.

I can tell you, but I'm sure you know by now. Sorry You took a job with WAG. I'd recommend getting out ASAP. They DO NOT care about their pharmacists, trust me. Your workload is going to be ridiculous and exhausting. Furthermore, you are not going to be appreciated because quite frankly in today's saturated market, they really don't need you anyway. You will be treated as such I am sorry. Much of the upper management aren't even pharmacists. If you are a new grad you will be treated below your clerk, trust me. Don't sell yourself to the devil and work retail if you can help it...At least get away from Walgreens.
I appreciate the honesty. Unfortunately what you describes is what I went through with CVS. Gonna play it by ear and see how it goes, and take it from there if things get rough.

Don't listen to these whiners, walgreens jobs are so easy.

Depends a lot on the clientele temperament. In some parts of the country the customers just pick their meds & no questions. Very low maintenance. In other parts, every interaction is like dealing with Jerry Seinfeld's dad. I really mean it, everything is a veritable pissing contest.

Depends a lot on the clientele temperament. In some parts of the country the customers just pick their meds & no questions. Very low maintenance. In other parts, every interaction is like dealing with Jerry Seinfeld's dad. I really mean it, everything is a veritable pissing contest.

This. Many walg you float to are pure chaos and almost every rx is a challenge and you almost want to start screaming or burst into tears. Other walg it is ezpz and you are almost bored. Over all though the computer system is good. BUT low job security, lots of cuts being made to store hours...

This. Many walg you float to are pure chaos and almost every rx is a challenge and you almost want to start screaming or burst into tears. Other walg it is ezpz and you are almost bored. Over all though the computer system is good. BUT low job security, lots of cuts being made to store hours...

Don't you luv when that first call you pick up at an unfamiliar store is "What's your name?" in that decrepit one-foot-in-the-grave nasty tone. Oh, I got some classics to tell you. Some day I have to track down where these creatures are buried and take a hot steaming dump on their graves.

Don't you luv when that first call you pick up at an unfamiliar store is "What's your name?" in that decrepit one-foot-in-the-grave nasty tone. Oh, I got some classics to tell you. Some day I have to track down where these creatures are buried and take a hot steaming dump on their graves.

Do you act like this at work?

Too busy to retaliate. The trick is not get sucked into escalating a confrontation. Leave the ego at the door. Simply solve the problem. Let the orcs have the last word. Then after the shift the cortisol shakes take over. Then the incoherent babbling Tourette's-like to oneself. Lucky to eat before falling asleep on couch from sheer exhaustion. Then wake up after few hours because of hunger. Can never get back to proper sleep. Images of rude, slobbering orcs at counter/drive-thru.

Next shift arrives. repeat process. FF a few years...early stage heart failure.

Too busy to retaliate. The trick is not get sucked into escalating a confrontation. Leave the ego at the door. Simply solve the problem. Let the orcs have the last word. Then after the shift the cortisol shakes take over. Then the incoherent babbling Tourette's-like to oneself. Lucky to eat before falling asleep on couch from sheer exhaustion. Then wake up after few hours because of hunger. Can never get back to proper sleep. Images of rude, slobbering orcs at counter/drive-thru.

So yes or no, do you act like this at work? Is this how you speak to your coworkers and customers or do you act normal?

If I recall it correctly, you had essentially recommended on another thread to another pharmacist that the patients follow up on their own durs. Its easy if you just approve everything the techs type (or you type), everything the techs fill, override durs, don't call on clarifications etc. You will be busy, but it will be easier. That's till it hits the fan and then where will you be? Placing the blame on somebody else.

Worked at a tier 3 store. Manager straight out of pharmacy school. Also long time employee before being pharmacist so longer vacations. Got the most daytime scheduled hours. He still quit.

Maybe 25-30 years ago I would have been excited to start at Walgreens. Household name, good benes and pay, good coworkers. When I floated for CVS I liked picking up extra shifts- got some extra pay, got to work with my fav technicians. When I worked at Osco also had my fav coworkers, pharmacists, and customers.

So yes or no, do you act like this at work? Is this how you speak to your coworkers and customers or do you act normal?

You know the difference between overt behavior and the inner world "theatre of the mind"?

Any store employee (tech, manager, pharmacist, SFL etc) that enjoys working at Walgreens is the text book definition of an ANOMALY.

If I recall it correctly, you had essentially recommended on another thread to another pharmacist that the patients follow up on their own durs. Its easy if you just approve everything the techs type (or you type), everything the techs fill, override durs, don't call on clarifications etc. You will be busy, but it will be easier. That's till it hits the fan and then where will you be? Placing the blame on somebody else.

Worked at a tier 3 store. Manager straight out of pharmacy school. Also long time employee before being pharmacist so longer vacations. Got the most daytime scheduled hours. He still quit.

I think you misunderstood my advice or are choosing to only read some of my posts. I've said this before but I'll say it here. Most patients are on the same medications so after your first run through of all the interactions, you shouldn't be doing it again. Refills are a high proportion of your business, why do the same thing multiple times? When a new med gets added, you go through it again.

When it actually comes to the patient following up, yes that is what should be done. Call a doctor and say these two meds may cause myopathy, what do you think they will say: I understand I still want to prescribe it. Over time you learn every single doctors response so you only call if it's something you refuse to do.

I corrected a person I believe when it came to serious interactions since in no way should those go without some kind of doctor interaction.

My advice is to be smart and not do more then is needed. Someone said something about everything they have to do for C2s, you need a system. I'm not going to go through that again but simply don't fill pharmacy hoppers and you'll greatly lower the amount of work. Oh and leave your pdmp up for quick access.

Yes floating sucks, I don't recommend it and can't help those people.

Any store employee (tech, manager, pharmacist, SFL etc) that enjoys working at Walgreens is the text book definition of an ANOMALY.

I clearly live in an anomaly then. Every rxm in my area enjoys their job.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstood my advice or are choosing to only read some of my posts. I've said this before but I'll say it here. Most patients are on the same medications so after your first run through of all the interactions, you shouldn't be doing it again. Refills are a high proportion of your business, why do the same thing multiple times? When a new med gets added, you go through it again.

When it actually comes to the patient following up, yes that is what should be done. Call a doctor and say these two meds may cause myopathy, what do you think they will say: I understand I still want to prescribe it. Over time you learn every single doctors response so you only call if it's something you refuse to do.

I corrected a person I believe when it came to serious interactions since in no way should those go without some kind of doctor interaction.

My advice is to be smart and not do more then is needed.

Yes floating sucks, I don't recommend it and can't help those people.

I would agree with in so far as learning dr's prescribing practices and focusing you efforts as time is more than limited, but you can't streamline your practice too much.

Example: had a customer come in with an script for a routine cephalosporin. Customer about ready to get rung out and says does it matter I only have one kidney? Also have had 80 yo somethings prescribed multiple antihyperlipidemics.

In the end, is our responsibility as pharmacists to screen for these things and intervene as well as fill the orders correctly. It doesn't matter if the patient is the head of cardiology at the Mayo Clinic or that the same dr has written for the same order a thousand times for a thousand other patients.

I am done.

I would agree with in so far as learning dr's prescribing practices and focusing you efforts as time is more than limited, but you can't streamline your practice too much.

Example: had a customer come in with an script for a routine cephalosporin. Customer about ready to get rung out and says does it matter I only have one kidney? Also have had 80 yo somethings prescribed multiple antihyperlipidemics.

In the end, is our responsibility as pharmacists to screen for these things and intervene as well as fill the orders correctly. It doesn't matter if the patient is the head of cardiology at the Mayo Clinic or that the same dr has written for the same order a thousand times for a thousand other patients.

I am done.

So now you ask every customer how their kidneys are doing? What's your point here, we can't know everything and this has always been the case, it's not new. If a doc always writes for the same things, again, you warn the patient when they are started. You don't waste your time.

If you don't want the advice from a pharmacist doing this for almost 18 years that is fine but I currently still work at one of the busiest stores in my area and my system works.

Answer or don't but what are things you feel you need to call the doctor about? If you do answer don't be afraid of putting things you know I will stay stop to like myopathy risk. What you will find is I will agree with the serious issues and tell you to stop on the moderate to mild issues.

Last edited:
This is the beauty of being individually licensed. Follow up what you think is important, I will do likewise.

I am glad you enjoy your position -this is America to each their own. But this thread was advice for this pharmacist who is going to Walgreens and what to expect. I would feel it dishonest to tell the OP that MOST RPhs enjoy their job there. This hasn't been true for years.

This is the beauty of being individually licensed. Follow up what you think is important, I will do likewise.

I am glad you enjoy your position -this is America to each their own. But this thread was advice for this pharmacist who is going to Walgreens and what to expect. I would feel it dishonest to tell the OP that MOST RPhs enjoy their job there. This hasn't been true for years.

And that's a fine opinion to have. My opinion is obviously if you want to like your job, if you put in the effort and work smart, you will every single time. You can call me arrogant if you want but I guarantee I could help a very high majority of pharmacists who hate their job at Walgreens.

The best evidence I can think of is when a new grad floats to my store and my techs say it was a horrible day. People simply overthink things and do more then they should.

Last edited:
LOL.

Let this guy work at a Duane Reed or downtown Houston Wags during rush hour

I'm convinced he's a paid spoke person for the company this RXM guy. It's depressing to see what happens when corporate beats your spirit down to the ground and and you submit to them.

LOL.

Let this guy work at a Duane Reed or downtown Houston Wags during rush hour
I'm convinced he's a paid spoke person for the company this RXM guy. It's depressing to see what happens when corporate beats your spirit down to the ground and and you submit to them.

Oh the things people say to make themselves feel better. A person enjoys their job so they must be a spokesperson.

Also I've stated many times never work at the busiest of stores.

Last edited:
Oh the things people say to make themselves feel better. A person enjoys their job so they must be a spokesperson.

Also I've stated many times never work at the busiest of stores.
LOL.

I said it during my 1 hour daily lunch, too

[QUOTE="wagrxm2000, post: 19911861, member: 640956"
Also I've stated many times never work at the busiest of stores.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh, so you must have pictures of somebody with a goat. I see how this works now.

In a word horrible. I worked at walgreens for almost 9 years as staff rx and overnighter. It sucks. Dog eat dog. Take marching orders from store managers. Glad to be gone and would never go back. I have also worked at CVS years ago when the rph shortage existed and it wasn't much better. I don't know why you are switching jobs but I would suggest doing something very different if possible all of those employers suck.
agreed. It's clear that THE THREE LETTER DEVIL is worse but it's like comparing being bitten by a dog to being bitten by a snake. All retail is bad. better to get into a hospital.

dude characterizing customer's as orcs is hilarious you put my sides into orbit.

Retail is hard with any of the mentioned companies. What makes the difference is your team. Get rid of the bad apples and build your team. Your a pharmacist but your also a manager/ leader. If your store sucks fix it.

Retail is hard with any of the mentioned companies. What makes the difference is your team. Get rid of the bad apples and build your team. Your a pharmacist but your also a manager/ leader. If your store sucks fix it.

Amen brother

Hello, You have basically made a unilateral move...Neither CVS or Walgreens and their counterparts are worth your time...save yourself now, unless you happen to enjoy what you do. I know when you are young...the money is great! But there is a such thing as BURN OUT, especially with the big high volume chains...get experience elsewhere....it will benefit you greatly in the future...even if you have to earn a little less than what Walgreens or Rite Aid offered you.. Good Luck!

Hello, You have basically made a unilateral move...Neither CVS or Walgreens and their counterparts are worth your time...save yourself now, unless you happen to enjoy what you do. I know when you are young...the money is great! But there is a such thing as BURN OUT, especially with the big high volume chains...get experience elsewhere....it will benefit you greatly in the future...even if you have to earn a little less than what Walgreens or Rite Aid offered you.. Good Luck!

By simply taking a 20k cut to make your life "better" you are riskng losing out on 1 to 2 million dollars over a thirty year career.

If I was a young pharmacist I would want to retire sooner rather then later.

By simply taking a 20k cut to make your life "better" you are riskng losing out on 1 to 2 million dollars over a thirty year career.

If I was a young pharmacist I would want to retire sooner rather then later.

Not true, you love your job and would do it for half the pay. You will never retire, you will be put in the ground with a spatula in one hand, mortar + pestle in the other, with your shoulder cradling a telephone against you ear. ;)

Not true, you love your job and would do it for half the pay. You will never retire, you will be put in the ground with a spatula in one hand, mortar + pestle in the other, with your shoulder cradling a telephone against you ear. ;)

As much as I love my job, I will love not having to work even more.