Sooooooo... basically, 3rd year sux assballs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Man I typed on a phone and I've worked 24 hrs in the past 31hrs....don't be a douchebag

I know the difference in usage between there and their....but I'm not even gonna fix my post because that's so ridiculus to nitpick right now

Man I typed on a phone and I've worked 24 hrs in the past 31hrs....don't be a douchebag

I know the difference in usage between there and their....but I'm not even gonna fix my post because that's so ridiculus to nitpick right now

That doesn't explain saying "could of" instead of the correct "could've." That one seems to be such a foreign concept to so, so many.

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, these threads on how much third year sucks are kind of terrifying. :\

I'm on psych right now and it's pretty much full of awesome. I currently don't have any interest in going into psych, but the psychopathology is really fascinating. The 3rd year workload is fairly light as well, so it's not all bad.

Wow! Your med school did you a disservice.

1. We are expected to know the complete physical exam. Most of us have performed it (at least) 50 times by now (end of 1st year for me). Also they hire actor-patients with pathology so we can hear/feel cardiopulmonary pathology, abnormally palpable organs, prostates, ovaries, etc.
  2. Not only do we write soap notes 1st year, we are expected to be able to present patients cogently. We're even "tested" on this during various group activities. For example, in PBL or in our clinical track the facilitator might simply say, "FunnyCurrent, please present the patient reviewing all information given thus far."
  3. Most of us have spent so much time in clinic we are used to standing constantly. I laughed the other day when one of the undergrad volunteers asked for a break to sit down.
  4. The rest of the stuff you listed will indeed suck
Things won't change unless you act. Consider speaking with the curriculum director if you feel you have not been adequately prepared.

Have several seats please. Your response did nothing to help the OP, you simply made your response about you. You're on track to being that person that everyone despises on their rotation.

1. We are expected to know the complete physical exam. Most of us have performed it (at least) 50 times by now (end of 1st year for me). Also they hire actor-patients with pathology so we can hear/feel cardiopulmonary pathology, abnormally palpable organs, prostates, ovaries, etc.
  2. Not only do we write soap notes 1st year, we are expected to be able to present patients cogently. We're even "tested" on this during various group activities. For example, in PBL or in our clinical track the facilitator might simply say, "FunnyCurrent, please present the patient reviewing all information given thus far."
  3. Most of us have spent so much time in clinic we are used to standing constantly. I laughed the other day when one of the undergrad volunteers asked for a break to sit down.
Things won't change unless you act. Consider speaking with the curriculum director if you feel you have not been adequately prepared.

Given all the responses, it's probably superfluous for me to post and tell you that you sound like a giant tool. But.....

You sound like a giant tool.

The OP and I go to the same school, and sure, we did stuff first and second year like writing practice SOAP notes. And yeah, we have standard patients too, and practice presenting. But I think the point that you don't understand, and won't understand till you get to third year is that no matter how many times you did that stuff, no matter how many attendings or whoever told you that you were fantastic and a beautiful snowflake, you suck. You show up on day 1 and realize that you do everything wrong. According to my attending, I even pronounce my own name wrong.

So, stop being judgmental and holier than thou about things you don't understand.

I'm on psych right now and it's pretty much full of awesome. I currently don't have any interest in going into psych, but the psychopathology is really fascinating. The 3rd year workload is fairly light as well, so it's not all bad.

The 3rd year workload is light? That's easy to say on psych, lol. Wait til trauma surg or IM.

It all depends on what rotation you're on.

I'm surprised no one mentioned all the horrible downtime. I'm doing Peds right now and just finished 2 weeks of in-patient gen peds. Awful. Make you be there 6-5 Mon-Friday and 6-1 on one weekend day. When there is stuff to do it's all good, but after 1pm there's nothing. Spending the last 4 hours of the day sitting in the resident room (and I personally can't study because it's too loud) for 2 weeks straight was awful awful awful awful AWFUL. So glad that part of peds is over!!

But like I said, it's a lot of fun when you actually prepare for and do rounds in the morning.

That's when you ask us if there's anything else you could help us with and if we're nice we send you home.

I'm surprised no one mentioned all the horrible downtime. I'm doing Peds right now and just finished 2 weeks of in-patient gen peds. Awful. Make you be there 6-5 Mon-Friday and 6-1 on one weekend day. When there is stuff to do it's all good, but after 1pm there's nothing. Spending the last 4 hours of the day sitting in the resident room (and I personally can't study because it's too loud) for 2 weeks straight was awful awful awful awful AWFUL. So glad that part of peds is over!!

But like I said, it's a lot of fun when you actually prepare for and do rounds in the morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
How you guys deal with achy lower backs after standing for hours on end? The only thing I learned from shadowing is that my feet and back are killing me after standing for an hours or more. :(

That's when you ask us if there's anything else you could help us with and if we're nice we send you home.

Tried that. Doesn't work in our gen peds. The residents actually want to let us go, but the clerkship director told them this year that they are not allowed to let us out early. Last year they let the students leave at 1-2pm and I guess that pissed off head doc. Soo, now you get to stay an extra 4 days everyday for nothing.

Fortunately for me, I am finally done with that part of the rotation. Thank god!!

Surg + OB were the two toughest

IM + Peds were mid tier

Family + Psych are "easy" street

People's experience are probably different, but for the most part, Surgery is notoriously tough and Psych is known to be more of the lighter parts. I was probably home by mid afternoon on psych compared to 5:30pm for IM/Peds and waking up at 5:00am for Surgery :scared:

You could create an Anki set of flashcards for your phone that covers maybe 100-200 high yield facts for your rotation and go over them then. Turn it into a positive some way.

Surg + OB were the two toughest

IM + Peds were mid tier

Family + Psych are "easy" street

People's experience are probably different, but for the most part, Surgery is notoriously tough and Psych is known to be more of the lighter parts. I was probably home by mid afternoon on psych compared to 5:30pm for IM/Peds and waking up at 5:00am for Surgery :scared:

I'd have to put IM home up in the top tier, with IM away in the middle or bottom. IM home was 6AM-7PM, 6 days a week for me. Not quite as brutal day to day as Surgery, but the extra day a week was rough. Neuro was mid tier for me (only some schools have it as a mandatory 3rd year rotation I guess).

He asked to sit down??? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You're acting like you're the boss or something. If an intern tried to tell me what to do I'd lol in their face. Also, I know way more than most of the new interns FYI.

You're acting like you're the boss or something. If an intern tried to tell me what to do I'd lol in their face.

Yeah let us know how that works for you. All you need is one "does not act in a professional manner, has a poor understanding of the medical hierarchy" on your MSPE and you'll become very familiar with SOAP.

I happen to be very nice to my med students; I do a lot of teaching and always send them home early, but one of the most important tasks of m3 is to understand how to behave in a hospital setting.

See that's what I'm talking about: "my" med students, like you're somehow categorically different with one extra month of training.. Interns, especially brand new ones, are the bottom of the hierarchy. You shouldn't be the one deciding when the students leave... usually a senior resident or attending does that.. You're talking like you're the attending. Hard to stomach people on a power trip.

See that's what I'm talking about: "my" med students, like you're somehow categorically different with one extra month of training.. Interns, especially brand new ones, are the bottom of the hierarchy. You shouldn't be the one deciding when the students leave... usually a senior resident or attending does that.. You're talking like you're the attending. Hard to stomach people on a power trip.

Haha, I wish; at most places interns look after the m3s, although the senior resident may assign them patients, it's usually our job to manage the 3rd years, while sub-is report directly to the senior. We take the students to lunch, conferences, w/e. It'd be awesome if the senior residents or attendings managed them, though.

And while it's true that differences clinically between interns and m4s, they are probably not that big at this point as m4s may have had more recent clinical experience in some cases, it doesn't take much time being a resident as opposed to a m4 for that gulf to be very wide, very fast. Once you get here, you'll understand.

By the way, students are obviously at the bottom of the medical hierarchy.

Haha, I wish; at most places interns look after the m3s, although the senior resident may assign them patients, it's usually our job to manage the 3rd years, while sub-is report directly to the senior. We take the students to lunch, conferences, w/e. It'd be awesome if the senior residents or attendings managed them, though.

And while it's true that differences clinically between interns and m4s, they are probably not that big at this point as m4s may have had more recent clinical experience in some cases, it doesn't take much time being a resident as opposed to a m4 for that gulf to be very wide, very fast. Once you get here, you'll understand.

As a 3rd year resident (though admittedly only for about 3 weeks), I'll weigh in on this.

The intern is absolutely right. Granted, at this point he/she has only been a doctor for about 2-3 weeks... but the 3rd year medical students have only been 3rd years for that same amount of time. No matter what part of the year it is, the intern has 2 years of experience on the 3rd years. Also, I would suggest that intern year has the steepest learning curve in all of medicine. I'd take an intern who is 2 months into the year (assuming those 2 months weren't both electives) over a 3rd year on his 6th rotation any day.

Further, upper levels don't usually spend lots of time with the medical students (at least not at my home med school nor my residency) and rely on the interns for that because, let's face it, med students are usually doing the same things that interns do - admissions, floor calls, daily notes. When I was an intern, I would always try to send the medical students home if nothing was going on - unless the student had been told not to listen to the intern, then I was going to be the one catching trouble if the upper level/attending wasn't happy about it.

Bottom line - unless you've been told not to, the do what the intern tells you and lost the attitude. Grading is very subjective after all.

Keep in mind that you're talking to someone who thinks it's a great idea to trumpet to all PDs that his LOA was due to psych reasons, and that they (and not he, of course) will just have to just have to deal with it.

Nm that she also goes to a med school that's super hierarchal and has arguably the beat internal med program in the country (UCSF). I'm SURE she blows all their interns away :rolleyes:

Yeah let us know how that works for you. All you need is one "does not act in a professional manner, has a poor understanding of the medical hierarchy" on your MSPE and you'll become very familiar with SOAP.

I happen to be very nice to my med students; I do a lot of teaching and always send them home early, but one of the most important tasks of m3 is to understand how to behave in a hospital setting.
for what, the past week?

Lighten up, Francis. We all know that GladifImakeit isn't going to LOL in any faces, but a little humility all around goes a long ways.

Two weeks :)

haha or tell PDs to deal with it?

I'm guessing you went into rads because you lack people skills? Sounds to me like you are on a power trip. You can insult me and stalk me and try to intimidate me all you want, but I think you're already enough of a jerk, no? Being an intern for 2 weeks and acting like you are somehow superior, which I would not do if I were the attending, really seems sad. And as to your snarky little comment, many medical students deal with personal illness. Affirmative statements are therapeutic. I am a stronger person for having overcome depression. I am sure I will match at a top notch program.

I'm guessing you went into rads because you lack people skills? Sounds to me like you are on a power trip. You can insult me and stalk me and try to intimidate me all you want, but I think you're already enough of a jerk, no? Being an intern for 2 weeks and acting like you are somehow superior, which I would not do if I were the attending, really seems sad. And as to your snarky little comment, many medical students deal with personal illness. Affirmative statements are therapeutic. I am a stronger person for having overcome depression. I am sure I will match at a top notch program.

I'm guessing you're going into OB because your personality fits the stereotype?

I'm on a power trip because I'm asked to manage the med students? Yeah ok. Good luck with matching.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I think we can all treat each other with respect even if we disagree about things.

Let's not insult each other. I've seen Drizz got out of his way to help people all the time on this site.

This isn't necessarily directed at you, but I think we can all treat each other with respect even if we disagree about things.

Let's not insult each other. I've seen Drizz got out of his way to help people all the time on this site.

Drizz is more than holding his own I'd say...this is entertaining. Carry on.

I don't need luck. I've got skills. Intern-like skills. Moreover, feeling good about myself isn't contingent upon insulting others.

I don't need luck. I've got skills. Intern-like skills. Moreover, feeling good about myself isn't contingent upon insulting others.

So I can understand this better, in your world, a resident talking about doing their job in supervising med students is on a power trip, while you saying you're more skilled and knowledgeable than residents and tossing out ad hominems is fine, is that a fair summary of your posts on this thread?

Last edited:
like-where-this-thread-is-going_jpg.jpg

I sincerely hope that you do realize that Gladifimakeit it is trolling you guys hard.

:(

Last edited:

Dude how is he "stalking" you? Your thread is second from the top on the first page and is titled "PDs will have to deal...". I'm not sure how you didn't see that coming back to bite you in the ass.

Dude how is he "stalking" you? Your thread is second from the top on the first page and is titled "PDs will have to deal...". I'm not sure how you didn't see that coming back to bite you in the ass.

I was referring to posting details about what medical school I may or may not attend. Kind of a low blow IMO. If he's gonna attack me like that he should not hide behind his user name. Luckily he's not close in his suspicions, but let's please not speculate further...

Didn't know you could say assballs on SDN. Good to know for later.