Sorry, but need help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CTG

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. First off, I want to say sorry for posting in this forum, but I figure since you guys are already in med school you'd be best equipped to answer my just-in-case-i-have-to-reapply question. Is it alright/advisable to reuse my personal statement from last year on this year's AMCAS? When you reapply do med schools see your old applications, and if so, do they look down on reapplicants who reuse their personal statements? I'd really appreciate any sound advice or input you guys may have. Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

CTG said:
Hey guys. First off, I want to say sorry for posting in this forum, but I figure since you guys are already in med school you'd be best equipped to answer my just-in-case-i-have-to-reapply question. Is it alright/advisable to reuse my personal statement from last year on this year's AMCAS? When you reapply do med schools see your old applications, and if so, do they look down on reapplicants who reuse their personal statements? I'd really appreciate any sound advice or input you guys may have. Thanx!

From what I understand they have trouble remembering your personal statement out of the many they have to read and it's usually someone different reading your statement anyways. The other thing that I heard is that if you think your personal statement is good then you shouldn't change it (other than updating it). For me personally I would probably change my personal statement but only because one of my interviewers said something negative about it. You might want to try this forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=95

No need to appologize for posting here.... not enough pre-meds do so. Instead they prefer a bunch of crap advice from other pre-meds who have no idea what they are talking about. Which, despite what you hear in pre-allo... I assure you the color of your suit does not matter on interview day as long as it's not neon.

Sorry for the rant. If you think your statement is perfect, I don't think there is a reason you should change it. However, I would consider it important to explain why you are applying again, or at least mention such if there are ext. circumstances, in your PS.

ddmoore54 said:
No need to appologize for posting here.... not enough pre-meds do so. Instead they prefer a bunch of crap advice from other pre-meds who have no idea what they are talking about. Which, despite what you hear in pre-allo... I assure you the color of your suit does not matter on interview day as long as it's not neon.

Sorry for the rant. If you think your statement is perfect, I don't think there is a reason you should change it. However, I would consider it important to explain why you are applying again, or at least mention such if there are ext. circumstances, in your PS.

explaining why you are applying again is a definate must. to add to this, i also heard that you should add something short about what you have been doing in the last year to improve your app. for example- if you talked to adcoms last cycle about why you didnt get in and they told you they thought you needed more clinical experience, then u should talk about how you shadowed docs, volunteered at nursing homes, worked as home healthcare aid, etc and how these things influenced your decision to become a physician.

my friend who did exactly this his second time around, was accepted to 3 schools. what i said above is how he said he changed his PS.