SOS MCAT in 20 days and still not sure how to effectively approach C/P passages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canadianbacon1244

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I have been doing a lot of practice questions, but still cannot figure out a good strategy for approaching C/P passages! It is by far my weakest section and I basically glaze over all the chemical compounds etc. when I'm reading a passage. Is there a good way to tackle a passage to prepare me for the questions that follow? What should I be highlighting?

Any help is greatly appreciated :) Good luck studying everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!

I have been doing a lot of practice questions, but still cannot figure out a good strategy for approaching C/P passages! It is by far my weakest section and I basically glaze over all the chemical compounds etc. when I'm reading a passage. Is there a good way to tackle a passage to prepare me for the questions that follow? What should I be highlighting?

Any help is greatly appreciated :) Good luck studying everyone!
I got a 130 in C/P. My advice is to read the first question before looking at the passage (sometimes you can even answer it without the passage!!). But if you cant answer it right away, at least you're primed to find it in the passage (especially because there's a lot of info in the passages so it'll keep things from getting confusing for you.) Try that! Also, keep an eye out for keywords like chemical compounds, enzymes, equations, etc by giving them a highlight. Also, highlight a word or two that are the "main idea" of each paragraph so you know exactly where to look back to when answering questions. Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 users
I got a 130 in C/P. My advice is to read the first question before looking at the passage (sometimes you can even answer it without the passage!!). But if you cant answer it right away, at least you're primed to find it in the passage (especially because there's a lot of info in the passages so it'll keep things from getting confusing for you.) Try that! Also, keep an eye out for keywords like chemical compounds, enzymes, equations, etc by giving them a highlight. Also, highlight a word or two that are the "main idea" of each paragraph so you know exactly where to look back to when answering questions. Hope this helps
Thank you for these c/p tips. I see you said to look at the first question. Is there a reason we should only look at the first question of the passage rather than looking at the others as well before we read the passage? Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for these c/p tips. I see you said to look at the first question. Is there a reason we should only look at the first question of the passage rather than looking at the others as well before we read the passage? Thanks
Time. I only looked at the first question because it is staring you in the face while you're reading the passage. Might as well take the 10 seconds to read it and try to find the answer as you read! If you try to read all questions before you read, I noticed it wasted time for me. But, each of us are different so try what works best for you! I found when I read the first question, I almost ALWAYS got it right.

Of course though, if I answered the first question in the first paragraph of the passage, I would move on and read the next question!

Reactions: 2 users

Your advice is working out wonderfully. You rock!!

Reactions: 1 user