SOS: Postbacc Program v. "Do-it-Yourself" Postbacc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiani16

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I changed my career path choice right when I graduated with a Bachelors in Political Science (this year, I'm 21). I have to complete my pre-reqs, but I wanted your thoughts and opinions between the official Postbacc programs and "do-it-yourself" postbacc.

My thoughts on Postbacc programs:
- Program is guaranteed, but costly + living expenses/food/etc
- It might be too fast-paced for me, since my experience with the sciences has been limited the past few years.

My thoughts on "Do-it-Yourself":
- might not be guaranteed.
- takes longer, but also my chances of getting a higher GPA opposed to the other programs is higher
- saves me a lot of money if I study in my hometown.

So, those are my thoughts, what are yours?

Members don't see this ad.

Go for DIY. Attempting an SMP without at least some science foundation (read prereqs) is a road to disaster (they will probably not even accept you). Do a 2 year diy program, complete prereqs, take some upper level bio classes and ace the MCAT. Good luck!

A DIY post bacc at a local college is fine. You can go at your own pace and you are more likely to obtain higher grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I changed my career path choice right when I graduated with a Bachelors in Political Science (this year, I'm 21). I have to complete my pre-reqs, but I wanted your thoughts and opinions between the official Postbacc programs and "do-it-yourself" postbacc.

My thoughts on Postbacc programs:
- Program is guaranteed, but costly + living expenses/food/etc
- It might be too fast-paced for me, since my experience with the sciences has been limited the past few years.

My thoughts on "Do-it-Yourself":
- might not be guaranteed.
- takes longer, but also my chances of getting a higher GPA opposed to the other programs is higher
- saves me a lot of money if I study in my hometown.

So, those are my thoughts, what are yours?
I like the DIY option. Med schools will see a "Post-Bacc GPA" line-item on your app so a 4.0 is a 4.0, especially if it is on YOUR terms. If you're saving money, too, that's just pure gravy

I would not recommend an official post-bacc/SMP at this time, the DIY post-bacc route seems right.

Reactions: 1 users