Sound in arizona?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sounds like Sound/Envision covers 99% of cases and other MD only groups come in for only a few surgeons that originated when envision couldn’t fulfil their obligations

So 1-2 cases/day? How could that be worthwhile?

Members don't see this ad.

6 groups in one hospital? How do they split the cases? Surgeon request or some other system?
Yeah, usually surgeons have the groups they like to work with in Phoenix. If they can't get their preferred group, other groups will cover.

I stopped looking at the Sound/Echo LT job after the rep sucked and ignored me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sound Anesthesia pays some crazy salaries. I am not sure how are they managing this.

Any ideas?

Apparently most practices in town have been bought out (Envision/Sheridan, NPH, etc), whereas sound doesn’t owe any money to anyone and the hospital covers a good stipend. So what they offer is fair, while every other place just doesn’t offer enough in this market and in that city. But I think they’re all hired up with docs and done with locums now too though.

Last edited:
Sound Anesthesia pays some crazy salaries. I am not sure how are they managing this.

Any ideas?

Could be deep pockets willing to spend money in order to gain control of the market. Amazon strategy. Put all the mom n pops out of business and put the hurt on your staffing competitors like Best Buy (Envision) and Staples (NAPA) too.

UHC would like nothing more than to own the doctors. I’m sure they would eventually like to be vertically integrated like Kaiser:
1. Own the patients-done
2. Own the doctors-in progress
3. Own the hospitals

Hopefully their plan blows up.

Last edited:
United healthcare already is the majority owner of sound physicians. that article you posted is from 2018.

Reactions: 1 users
United healthcare already is the majority owner of sound physicians. that article you posted is from 2018.

Yes I know. I was pointing that out and why they might want to own a large group of doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see what you did there. People on the forum have said Sound uses some big ratios in Florida but it appears in AZ they average less than 1:3 and also have docs that sit their own cases. But with AZ being an opt out state there are plenty of hospitals around the state that are run by CRNA groups where it's one doc firefighting for all the ORs but they're not signed into any of the cases.

I see what you did there. People on the forum have said Sound uses some big ratios in Florida but it appears in AZ they average less than 1:3 and also have docs that sit their own cases. But with AZ being an opt out state there are plenty of hospitals around the state that are run by CRNA groups where it's one doc firefighting for all the ORs but they're not signed into any of the cases.

Regarding your comment: "it appears in AZ they average less than 1:3 and also have docs that sit their own cases."

Do you actually work for sound in arizona to verify this as true and fact? Or is this secondhand word of mouth?

Regarding your comment: "it appears in AZ they average less than 1:3 and also have docs that sit their own cases."

Do you actually work for sound in arizona to verify this as true and fact? Or is this secondhand word of mouth?
If it is true it's likely temporary to try to appease the surgeons and nurses at the hospital used to physician only anesthesia.

If it is true it's likely temporary to try to appease the surgeons and nurses at the hospital used to physician only anesthesia.
Agreed. This is not consistent with Sound’s “business model” or long term goals.

I have done locums at Banner and can confirm this is correct. less than 1:3

Ya Envision (formerly Valley) in the entire city is doc only. You have a huge dichotomy in Phoenix of CRNA only hospitals and doc only shops for the most part then Sound is a hybrid.

I remember working in IR, came in on a Saturday for a stroke code. This was circa February this year so maybe different now. That place is a dinosaur we were paper charting down there and that crappy EMR cerner is in the ORs. Why doesn’t everyone just use epic?!

I've never worked anywhere in any hospital with anything other than paper charting for satellate non-OR locations like that.

Why doesn’t everyone just use epic?!
Epic is expensive. The administrators choose the EMR and they don't have to use it. It's just a widget that costs them money.

So the story goes, a few years ago when the military was getting bids to replace the **** we'd been using since the 80s, the bid by Cerner was approximately a $Billion less than Epic's bid. I left the military before the new EMR arrived, and I hear it's not terrible, but it's also not Epic.

Reactions: 3 users
I've never worked anywhere in any hospital with anything other than paper charting for satellate non-OR locations like that.

We use epic everywhere including Cath lab, GI, ICU, IR.

Reactions: 2 users

Wow, so United Healthcare owns Sound Physicians. Based on news, United Healthcare drops Sound's competitors such as Valley/Envision and USAP from their network. If Sound takes over those Valley/Envision and USAP contracts, then isn't this a conflict of interest and a huge legal issue?

Wow, so United Healthcare owns Sound Physicians. Based on news, United Healthcare drops Sound's competitors such as Valley/Envision and USAP from their network. If Sound takes over those Valley/Envision and USAP contracts, then isn't this a conflict of interest and a huge legal issue?

Depends on whether someone wants to take on the huge expense to sue, or if the DOJ wakes up enough to care and do something about it.
That's the motto of corporate America...cheat and cheat and cheat until someone stops you from doing so.

Depends on whether someone wants to take on the huge expense to sue, or if the DOJ wakes up enough to care and do something about it.
That's the motto of corporate America...cheat and cheat and cheat until someone stops you from doing so.
Remember folks! Doctors can’t “self refer”, or unfairly profit, but Insurance Companies can own physician staffing companies, and cut reimbursement or cancel contracts with physicians who DON’T work for their staffing companies!

Reactions: 4 users

Medicine has a lot of problems but this is the most demoralizing. It’s just a noose tightening until the system collapses. Don’t see anyone winning a legislative battle against these folks.

In addition to Sound, United Healthcare has an interest in another physician staffing company called Optum Medical Care. OptumRx, also under the United Health umbrella, is one of the largest pharmacy benefit managers in the US.

From a Gaswork posting:

CareMount, ProHEALTH and Riverside medical groups have united and rebranded as one regional group under Optum’s nationwide family of dedicated physicians and care teams, who are working together to help people live their healthiest lives.
Optum is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 210,000 people worldwide, Optum delivers intelligent, integrated solutions that help to modernize the health system and improve overall population health. Optum is part of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH).
Optum Medical Care in the tri-state region (formerly CareMount Medical, ProHEALTH New York and Riverside Medical Group) offers an interconnected network that enables us to work collaboratively to better coordinate care among our doctors and care teams. Together, we offer you and your family access to more than 2,100 providers, representing 70 specialties, working in 360 medical practices and more than 55 urgent care locations across New York, New Jersey and Southern Connecticut.

In addition to Sound, United Healthcare has an interest in another physician staffing company called Optum Medical Care. OptumRx, also under the United Health umbrella, is one of the largest pharmacy benefit managers in the US.

From a Gaswork posting:

CareMount, ProHEALTH and Riverside medical groups have united and rebranded as one regional group under Optum’s nationwide family of dedicated physicians and care teams, who are working together to help people live their healthiest lives.
Optum is a leading information and technology-enabled health services business dedicated to helping make the health system work better for everyone. With more than 210,000 people worldwide, Optum delivers intelligent, integrated solutions that help to modernize the health system and improve overall population health. Optum is part of UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH).
Optum Medical Care in the tri-state region (formerly CareMount Medical, ProHEALTH New York and Riverside Medical Group) offers an interconnected network that enables us to work collaboratively to better coordinate care among our doctors and care teams. Together, we offer you and your family access to more than 2,100 providers, representing 70 specialties, working in 360 medical practices and more than 55 urgent care locations across New York, New Jersey and Southern Connecticut.
Have a good friend that was working for United/Optum buying up the primary care market. I had a pretty eye opening conversation with them a few months ago. We were on totally different wave lengths and they couldn’t understand why the private equity and this United push was so negative for patients and physicians. We were speaking two different languages.

Have a good friend that was working for United/Optum buying up the primary care market. I had a pretty eye opening conversation with them a few months ago. We were on totally different wave lengths and they couldn’t understand why the private equity and this United push was so negative for patients and physicians. We were speaking two different languages.

Many doctors, hospitals, surgicenters, etc have bought the sales pitch, thus their success.