sounds between S1 and S2 in athletes

Started by irie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

irie

royale with cheese
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I noticed a faint sound that lasted the duration of systole in a male runner. I only heard it at the pulmonic area and it had a mild crescendo effect. HR=45, BP 102/65...he's a runner.

It didn't sound like any of the murmurs I've heard on the heart sound tutorials. I'm trying to learn what is normal and what the physiology of this sound might be. What should I be considering?

My guess: Stroke volume large enough to cause audible flow.
 
How old is he? most probably it is physiological murmur (very faint,grade <3/6). Atheletes may have mild ventrivular hypertrophy which may also produce systolic murmur. If asymptomatic, no further test is required.