South Carolina MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uscems

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would like to know how I weigh up vs. my competition.

I am a resident and student in South Carolina. I will be applying to MUSC, USC, and USC Greenville in-state as well as others OOS and several DO schools (VCOM-CC). I am also able to apply to MCG as an in-state applicant due to my specific residence in SC. One of the allopathic schools is my first choice.

Major: Bio
App. cycle: Matriculate 2014

cGPA: 3.45
sGPA: 3.40
MCAT: 30

My grades show an extremely strong upward trend and the only reason the GPAs are so low is thanks to my freshmen year.(very obvious on transcipt)

EC's:
EMT/First Responder on campus at university
2+ years of 911-EMS experience as an EMT-B/Crew chief in a high call volume area.
Shadowed several EM physicians for a total of 200+ hours
Traveled to MGH to shadow and volunteer in ER & OR
Volunteer at local medical clinic checking vitals, etc...
AED fundraiser chair
Many other organizations & volunteer work.

I will have strong LORs from profs, MDs, and current employers.

My personal statement is stellar.

Thanks in advance for honesty

Members don't see this ad.

Will this semester's grades increase your GPA? S or C?

Are you a junior? If so, then I suggest a glide year and raise your GPA.

Are you male or female?

Will this semester's grades increase your GPA? S or C?

Are you a junior? If so, then I suggest a glide year and raise your GPA.

Are you male or female?
W Male. Junior. With plans to apply this cycle.

Gpa will increase this semester. Especially sgpa. Taking all science.

More advanced: My freshmen gpa was <3.0. Since then it has averaged around 3.8.(c)&(s)

Members don't see this ad :)
W Male. Junior. With plans to apply this cycle.

Gpa will increase this semester. Especially sgpa. Taking all science.

More advanced: My freshmen gpa was <3.0. Since then it has averaged around 3.8.(c)&(s)

the app process is expensive, time-consuming, and stressful. Since you're only a junior, and your GPA is low, why not wait til after senior year when you'll have THREE SEMESTERS of HIGH grades to further dilute those low grades?

Plus, you can spend this summer shadowing, etc. And, if you have time to study the MCAT and you think you'd do much better, then take it again. that can help a borderline GPA.

thanks for your input, congrats btw on the acceptance. Are you going somewhere in SC?

Luckily, SC state schools aren't that competitive.

If you continue your upward grade trend, apply early (beginning of June), and complete secondaries early w good essays (before August), you should get at least 1 or 2 interviews from SC state schools barring any red flags in your app. Maybe even all 3.

If you want to increase your chances:
1. Take some upper division science classes this summer to further raise your GPA then update schools w grades in August. Hopefully you can get both GPAs up to 3.5
(Do the same thing after you get fall grades).
2. Try to get some research experience (if you don't have any) sometime between now and fall semester and update schools w this as well.

Very good shot at VCOM-CC

- Former Columbia-Richland FF/Medic

thanks for your input, congrats btw on the acceptance. Are you going somewhere in SC?

No, my acceptances are in 3 other states.

If you prefer an MD over a DO school, then I strongly suggest that you get your GPA to at least a 3.6. Even if the SC MD SOMs are easier to get into (not unusual for instate SOMs), unless you have some hook or are a URM, you might not get accepted with a sub 3.6 GPA. SOMs are often less-forgiving to white males with GPAs less than a 3.6/3.5.

What is the breakdown of your MCAT?

What are your grades in:

Gen Chem I and II
Orgo I and II
Bio I and II

Straight 10s on all Sections. Took this year so no Writing portion.

Gen Chem 1: B+
Gen Chem 2: A
Orgo 1: A
Orgo 2: Taking now
Bio 1: B+
Bio 2: B+

Like I said, my freshmen year is killing me. I only received B+'s in Bios, but since have made A's in higher level bio courses.

Not sure what you mean by "hook" but I have a few close ties with my first choice, great LORs, and a killer PS. As far as passion for the field and the desire to become a physician, I feel like I have thoroughly shown my dedication via ECs in that aspect.

Thanks for the reply,

I have already planned to take an upper-level physics class over the summer and I guess I could take a second course during the other sum sem. Obviously i haven't begun my application so how easy is it to "update" schools with new info such as classes... or even research?

Thats cool you worked for Richland. I work for Aiken County on the weekends & at the University throughout the week. Any other great tips for a fellow EMSer?

Hopefully someone here can provide some insight into how summer classes can quickly get included into the GPAs without delaying verification. If your school won't be able to send your summer classes transcripts into AMCAS until late July or in Aug, then that will delay your verification. When do those summer classes end?

The final summer class would end on August the 8th, which means another 3 days max for grades to even be submitted.

I plan to apply as early as possible in June, I should be verified way before even the first class ends. So my question is it even possible to just "update" your app with classes you take or ECs and it even have an effect on your application being viewed by adcoms?

Also, if anyone else out there has any insight as to the type of applicants the 3 SC allo schools are looking for that would be awesome! (MUSC, USC, USC-Greenville)

I have lower GPAs and MCAT score. I am SC resident and went to school in SC. I currently work for one of the allopathic universities you are applying to. I applied to MUSC, USC-G, USC and other DO schools. From my experience, you have a decent shot at USC-G and USC. Probably not MUSC. Their average stats for this year for accepted students was pretty high. Definitely have a good shot at VCOM-CC. You can see more info about my application cycle on my MDapps profile.

I plan to apply as early as possible in June, I should be verified way before even the first class ends. So my question is it even possible to just "update" your app with classes you take or ECs and it even have an effect on your application being viewed by adcoms?

Your problem will be with the initial down-select process. Your summer grades (if A's) won't be able to help with that.

Others will have to comment about how a "summer grades update" will be viewed by Adcoms. Will your verified GPAs be the ones that are really used? I'm guessing that would be the case. Your summer grades won't have gone thru AMCAS.

Thanks for the reply,

I have already planned to take an upper-level physics class over the summer and I guess I could take a second course during the other sum sem. Obviously i haven't begun my application so how easy is it to "update" schools with new info such as classes... or even research?

Thats cool you worked for Richland. I work for Aiken County on the weekends & at the University throughout the week. Any other great tips for a fellow EMSer?

Very easy. For most schools you just send the admission's office an email containing an update letter w a copy of your updated transcript w grades. You can just print out your unofficial transcript, scan it, and email it as an attachment (pdf etc). Some only require an update letter emailed where you just list the classes you took and the grades you got. Some also just let you upload it directly onto their application portal online. The secretary will then include it in your application packet and it's reviewed by the adcom.

Don't worry about submitting earlier w lower grades for 5 main reasons:

1. Going from a 3.45 to a 3.5 isn't likely going to make or break your application either way.

2. You'll have less competition in July/Aug due to a lower number of apps received overall and less high stat apps compared to in Sept/Oct

3. There will be more interviews available earlier.

4. It shows responsibility and punctuality when you submit early. It also shows that you are serious about applying and planned ahead for the application cycle.

5. Adcoms look at apps in order that they were received. However, many will give out interviews to the apps w the highest GPAs/MCATs 1st (provided these apps have good ECs/PS/secondary essays and "fit" w the school's mission) and hold lower stat apps for re-review later in the cycle after the app deadline. You might get an interview early in the summer or you might not depending on the stats threshold they're using and the strength of the other apps they're reviewing at the same time as yours (It differs from school to school). But, If you submit early, and don't get an initial interview in Aug or Sept, your app will be at the top of the pile for re-review bc you submitted earlier and will be 1st in line for interviews. By this time you will already have sent in your updated grades in Aug. which will help when they re-review your app. Most schools (esp state schools) don't start rejecting people till after the app deadline in October (many wait till Jan/Feb).

Best advice I can give is to be serious about all the secondary essays and give through, well thought out responses. Its a chance to showcase your medical experience and positive qualities while getting the reader's attention. At the same time, you want to be on the top of the app pile so get them done ASAP (shoot for a 2 week turn around time max).