South Carolina Odd Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mainer127

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I had an odd situation with USC that I wanted to share for everyone now and for future students applying there. I noticed yesterday that a lot of students were hearing about decisions and was curious why I hadn't received an e-mail yet. I e-mailed the program and received an e-mail saying, "We use PTCAS and I don't see anything on file for you there". This seemed odd to me because every other school I applied to through PTCAS has acknowledged my application through an interview invite, or confirmation e-mail. I never received anything from USC so I began to worry I had messed up my application.

After sending in screen shots of my verified application I never heard anything back this morning and decided to call the PT department. The same woman who hadn't been able to find my application last night answered and this time was able to find my application. She told me they had never received my GRE scores, only seen the self reported scores (I had sent them through the ETS website and double checked last night to make sure there was receipt of this). I explained that I had sent them and she apologized and said that my GPA had disqualified me as well (Cum GPA 3.46) because it fell below 3.8. This was the part that I thought would be helpful to future applicants. I asked if all they looked at was GPA and she explained that they cut off applicants at 3.8 GPA and also looked at GRE, but my GRE scores would have been competitive (V:158 Q:156 A:4.5).

She also said I never paid a supplemental fee. When I asked why they never sent me an e-mail to ask for the fee or for my missing GRE scores she said they didn't have time to do that for all 600 applicants. Also, she said they don't bother to ask for a fee from applicants with GPA below 3.8 so as not to waste their time.

So, the moral of the story is don't waste your time or money applying to USC if your GPA is below 3.8. I wish this had been posted on their website before hand.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I should add that the woman I dealt with was very nice during the phone call.

I should add that the woman I dealt with was very nice during the phone call.
That doesn't sound right. My cum GPA is 3.31 and I got waitlisted. On their PTCAS profile, it says min gpa is 3.0 and average gpa of accepted students is 3.7. So i dont know why that woman told you that. It also says the same on their program's site: min GPA is 3.0

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That doesn't sound right. My cum GPA is 3.31 and I got waitlisted. On their PTCAS profile, it says min gpa is 3.0 and average gpa of accepted students is 3.7. So i dont know why that woman told you that. It also says the same on their program's site: min GPA is 3.0
Hmm that's what I thought. Part of me feels like I should complain a little more to them about not notifying me at all about any missing portion of my application, or even a confirmation e-mail about receiving my application. But I also feel like maybe I should have been more on top of that myself. It just seems odd to me because I've had interviews with other schools, been invited to open houses, received confirmation e-mails and have been notified of missing application materials. It almost feels like they lost my application or this woman I am working with now doesn't know exactly what she is doing.

When did you get waitlisted? And when did you apply? I haven't heard anything from them yet other than an email sent from them to confirm that they have all of my info when I applied!

Hi Guys,

I had an odd situation with USC that I wanted to share for everyone now and for future students applying there. I noticed yesterday that a lot of students were hearing about decisions and was curious why I hadn't received an e-mail yet. I e-mailed the program and received an e-mail saying, "We use PTCAS and I don't see anything on file for you there". This seemed odd to me because every other school I applied to through PTCAS has acknowledged my application through an interview invite, or confirmation e-mail. I never received anything from USC so I began to worry I had messed up my application.

After sending in screen shots of my verified application I never heard anything back this morning and decided to call the PT department. The same woman who hadn't been able to find my application last night answered and this time was able to find my application. She told me they had never received my GRE scores, only seen the self reported scores (I had sent them through the ETS website and double checked last night to make sure there was receipt of this). I explained that I had sent them and she apologized and said that my GPA had disqualified me as well (Cum GPA 3.46) because it fell below 3.8. This was the part that I thought would be helpful to future applicants. I asked if all they looked at was GPA and she explained that they cut off applicants at 3.8 GPA and also looked at GRE, but my GRE scores would have been competitive (V:158 Q:156 A:4.5).

She also said I never paid a supplemental fee. When I asked why they never sent me an e-mail to ask for the fee or for my missing GRE scores she said they didn't have time to do that for all 600 applicants. Also, she said they don't bother to ask for a fee from applicants with GPA below 3.8 so as not to waste their time.

So, the moral of the story is don't waste your time or money applying to USC if your GPA is below 3.8. I wish this had been posted on their website before hand.
I got denied. I emailed them just to see why and what I could improve on and they said my pre-req gpa was too low. They also said that they only had my self-reported gre scores when I know I sent them them via ets. Fishy but I’m not worried about it. They have a tiny cohort and impossibly high standards.

When did you get waitlisted? And when did you apply? I haven't heard anything from them yet other than an email sent from them to confirm that they have all of my info when I applied!

I got notified on Dec 6th and applied at the end of September.

Should I be nervous if I haven’t heard anything yet??

Should I be nervous if I haven’t heard anything yet??
Haven’t heard anything either. I got the confirmation email from USC after applying. I’m hoping I haven’t heard because my name is at the end of the alphabet. It is frustrating to see that others have heard back already.

I also applied and have not yet received information regarding the school’s decision. I would be at the beginning of the alphabet, so I don’t know if that is how decisions are made. I assume that they send out the definite acceptances and definite denial letters right away and the students they are on the fence about they spend more time reviewing and discussing the application. I believe it may be a good thing we have not yet heard back because we are still potentially in the running for a spot!

I haven't heard anything either - so by the looks of it there must be lots of people that still haven't been notified! I hope they send another wave of decisions before Christmas so we don't have to wait until after the new year!

I sent an email today making sure my application went through and they said that they have sent out the first round of acceptances and will not be sending out any more until after January 15th. I hope that helps!

I sent an email today making sure my application went through and they said that they have sent out the first round of acceptances and will not be sending out any more until after January 15th. I hope that helps!
Didn’t they send out rejections and waitlist decisions too??

Members don't see this ad :)
Also in the same boat, I applied on August 23rd and havent heard anything back yet.

I am also waitlisted and asked for my number soon after, which was #40 on the waitlist. Anyone else get their position on the waitlist? It is a pretty small class. As far as those who haven't heard anything, that may not be a big deal because they have to work through the first round denials of acceptance and denials for the waitlists, most likely. Then maybe send an updated waitlist?

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I was accepted to the DPT program at USC and those who were accepted have until January 15th to either accept, defer, or deny their spot (and if they accept, a deposit must be paid by that date). It sounded to me from the email that those who were waitlisted would be notified of updates shortly after January 15th, once first round acceptances were confirmed. Good luck to you all!

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but I was accepted to the DPT program at USC and those who were accepted have until January 15th to either accept, defer, or deny their spot (and if they accept, a deposit must be paid by that date). It sounded to me from the email that those who were waitlisted would be notified of updates shortly after January 15th, once first round acceptances were confirmed. Good luck to you all!
Good to know! Still a little confused as to why I have not heard anything yet. No acceptance, waitlist, or denial.

Good to know! Still a little confused as to why I have not heard anything yet. No acceptance, waitlist, or denial.
I think you should definitely call or email at this point, just in case something happened with your application. Otherwise, maybe you'll just make your way to the next wave of waitlists?

I'm in the same boat! I think I will email at the end of January if I still haven't heard anything to allow for some more time to go by. Hopefully there will be another wave of decisions after the January 15th deadline for deposits though!

Anyone heard anything lately?
I believe those of us on their "waitlist" get a email checking whether those on the waitlist no longer wanted to be. It was an email that you ignored to stay on the waitlist and reply to be off the list if no longer interested. Not sure if this helps, but it may mean an update or addition to the waitlist is coming soon!