South Dakota State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sprinkles

Want to be a Pharmacist!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying, applied or is currently attending pharmacy school at SDSU in Brookings, South Dakota? I have some information but, I would really like to get in touch with someone who has been through the process or is about to? I am curious on accepted backgrounds with GPA mainly. They have an average posted up as 3.8. Any information would be great! Thanks :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone applying, applied or is currently attending pharmacy school at SDSU in Brookings, South Dakota? I have some information but, I would really like to get in touch with someone who has been through the process or is about to? I am curious on accepted backgrounds with GPA mainly. They have an average posted up as 3.8. Any information would be great! Thanks :oops:
I applied. I have an interview coming up. I'm awfully close to a 3.8 (higher than that in my most recent credits; all science). They don't require a PCAT, so if you did well on the ACT or SAT they can take that score instead. I think they rely heavily on your essays. They're also stringent with requirements for certain classes, especially physiology (must be 300 level). I don't know much else, but it looks like a nice school. You should drive out to Brookings for a tour, if you have the time.

I applied. I have an interview coming up. I'm awfully close to a 3.8 (higher than that in my most recent credits; all science). They don't require a PCAT, so if you did well on the ACT or SAT they can take that score instead. I think they rely heavily on your essays. They're also stringent with requirements for certain classes, especially physiology (must be 300 level). I don't know much else, but it looks like a nice school. You should drive out to Brookings for a tour, if you have the time.

Out of curiosity, did you apply to other schools? Just wondering what your perception is of SDSU vs. other Midwest Pharmacy colleges/

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, did you apply to other schools? Just wondering what your perception is of SDSU vs. other Midwest Pharmacy colleges/
I only applied to one other school. From talking with practicing pharmacists, the consensus is that most all pharmacy schools are as good as any other school, so long as they're accredited. The belief seems to be that a good student can make the most of their time, no matter where they attend.

SDSU really looks nice -- they have a new building and Brookings is a cute town. That said, I think the weather may be even worse than where I currently live (something I didn't think was possible) and the campus doesn't have any skyways or underground walkways for nasty winter conditions. It also appears that SDSU doesn't accept students from outside the upper midwest, at least judging from the hometowns of their most recent graduating class. The housing situation doesn't look that awesome, either, but I guess that's probably true of any college town.

One more thing: SDSU felt a bit more personable and friendly than the other schools I've looked at. I think this might just be because the admissions office is so darn nice, but they also have a smaller class size than some of the other big midwestern schools.

Last edited:
I only applied to one other school. From talking with practicing pharmacists, the consensus is that most all pharmacy schools are as good as any other school, so long as they're accredited. The belief seems to be that a good student can make the most of their time, no matter where they attend.

SDSU really looks nice -- they have a new building and Brookings is a cute town. That said, I think the weather may be even worse than where I currently live (something I didn't think was possible) and the campus doesn't have any skyways or underground walkways for nasty winter conditions. It also appears that SDSU doesn't accept students from outside the upper midwest, at least judging from the hometowns of their most recent graduating class. The housing situation doesn't look that awesome, either, but I guess that's probably true of any college town.

One more thing: SDSU felt a bit more personable and friendly than the other schools I've looked at. I think this might just be because the admissions office is so darn nice, but they also have a smaller class size than some of the other big midwestern schools.

Thank you so much for the response! :) I currently live in Sioux Falls. Brookings would be ideal but it's sure an unknown on whether or not I will get accepted. I have been talking to their admissions office and they have been incredibly helpful. I'm a non-traditional (older!) student who has decided to change careers.

Good luck to you! :luck:

Thank you so much for the response! :) I currently live in Sioux Falls. Brookings would be ideal but it's sure an unknown on whether or not I will get accepted. I have been talking to their admissions office and they have been incredibly helpful. I'm a non-traditional (older!) student who has decided to change careers.

Good luck to you! :luck:
Geez, if you get in, go! The tuition rates for in-state are crazy low. I would definitely go there if I was in-state.

I am finishing my pre-pharmacy there right now. It is a nice school. I wish there was more parking and the winters are brutal. The new pharmacy building is really nice and they added 10 more new seats because of it. I think it is a nice pharmacy school and very affordable. I work at a large hospital and they say that the SDSU graduates have a great clinical knowledge that seems to stand out.

I am going out there tomorrow morning to visit the school and get a feel for it. I am from Minnesota so I understand some of the brutal winter weather, pretty use to it! I have heard great things about SDSU. Can't wait to see the new building too.

Did anyone get in? How did interviews go? I'm currently a P1 at SDSU and LOVE IT!!
We've got a great program and awesome national standings for the NAPLEX, etc.
Any questions, feel free to ask!

I got my acceptance letter from SDSU. I'm kind of worried about the future of this profession and want to know in general that how hard or easy is it to get the job as soon as one graduates, these days? I would greatly appreciate if students, who are currently attending the program, can solve my problem.

As far as jobs go, it's difficult for everyone right now. However SDSU has had a very very high, if not 100% job placement. I've talked to P4's this year and everyone I've discussed this with seems to have either a job or a residency lined up.

As far as jobs go, it's difficult for everyone right now. However SDSU has had a very very high, if not 100% job placement. I've talked to P4's this year and everyone I've discussed this with seems to have either a job or a residency lined up.

Thank you SDSUPharm for sharing the information and thoughts! That was a relief.

Is this school pretty competitive? If you attend their Pre-pharmacy curriculum are you pretty much guaranteed into thier Pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this school pretty competitive? If you attend their Pre-pharmacy curriculum are you pretty much guaranteed into thier Pharmacy school?

I got in this cycle as a transfer student-- at my interview, they basically told me that they admit transfer students, but most of them turn down the opportunity. Last year (admits for Fall '10), they admitted 17 transfers but only 3 chose to attend. So no, you aren't guaranteed to be admitted into the school if you attend as an undergrad, but you have a pretty good chance if you're able to distinguish yourself from the average Joe next to you.

They gave me their "average" scores-- GPA is 3.5 and PCAT is 70. They typically receive about 300 applicants, they have 80 spots per year. They interview 125. They are really looking more for a well-rounded student that can balance work, school, life, and volunteerism, a student that knows pharmacy school is difficult. And they're looking for a student that knows what the pharmacist's role is in the bigger picture.

Best of all, it was free to apply. Good luck with your decision!

Bumping this thread. I am getting ready to submit an application, just waiting for my PCAT score. Is anyone else applying for Fall 2012? I spoke to a student advisor and he mentioned that SDSU is trying to interview as many candidates as possible.

Bumping this thread. I am getting ready to submit an application, just waiting for my PCAT score. Is anyone else applying for Fall 2012? I spoke to a student advisor and he mentioned that SDSU is trying to interview as many candidates as possible.

I'm applying but I'm confused.. Don't they charge an application fee?

That's awesome. Will be mailing them my app today and hope that they get my transcript and pcat score soon.

If anyone is following this thread, I just submitted my application. Actually, my husband just mailed it for me. I will let everyone know when/if I get an interview! Fingers crossed!!!:luck:

ETA: SDSU already has all of my transcripts. And should have my PCAT score in the next couple of days. I chose SDSU as a school to send my scores to and completed my PCAT on Sept 19, 2011.

Bumping this thread... I haven't heard a response from SDSU yet. Has anyone else applied? Heard a response?

Bumping this thread... I haven't heard a response from SDSU yet. Has anyone else applied? Heard a response?
I applied early last year, but didn't hear from them until spring. I don't think they have rolling admissions.

I applied early last year, but didn't hear from them until spring. I don't think they have rolling admissions.

Thanks for replying to this thread. Looks like you are attending U of M. Do you have any comments regarding SDSU?

SDSU just changed to rolling admissions this year - Oct 1 through Feb 1.

Thanks for replying to this thread. Looks like you are attending U of M. Do you have any comments regarding SDSU?
Not really...SDSU looked like a really nice school, but the Twin Cities are more local for me (and seem slightly less cold and windy...not sure if that's really true though).

Good luck!

My application was reviewed on the 10th and the AC sent out letters regarding my status the same day but I didn't receive the mail yet. Hope it's an interview offer I'm so tired of waiting.

My application was reviewed on the 10th and the AC sent out letters regarding my status the same day but I didn't receive the mail yet. Hope it's an interview offer I'm so tired of waiting.

The wait is hard that's for sure! I haven't heard back from SDSU yet either. About a week ago, I e-mailed SDSU to make certain they had all of my transcripts. Did you contact SDSU to learn that the AC was reviewing applications?

The wait is hard that's for sure! I haven't heard back from SDSU yet either. About a week ago, I e-mailed SDSU to make certain they had all of my transcripts. Did you contact SDSU to learn that the AC was reviewing applications?

I submitted everything on the 4th of November and they sent me the interview invite the day they reviewed my application which was the 10th. Their interview dates are 17th and 18th of Nov then the 2nd and 8th of december.

I think you should contact Sarah and ask her about your status. :thumbup:

I submitted everything on the 4th of November and they sent me the interview invite the day they reviewed my application which was the 10th. Their interview dates are 17th and 18th of Nov then the 2nd and 8th of december.

I think you should contact Sarah and ask her about your status. :thumbup:

Yay for you!!! :D It's great that you have an interview. So did you just receive your invite by mail today?

Guess I will have to call Sarah. I am soooo nervous.... :scared:

Last edited:
Yay for you!!! :D It's great that you have an interview. So did you just receive your invite by mail today?

Guess I will have to call Sarah. I am soooo nervous.... :scared:

They sent me the invite on the 10th and I was supposed to get it in the mail which I didn't. :eek: so they sent me a pdf version of that mail since the interview dates are approaching.

Best part about SDSU is that you can get to choose a date from their given dates for the interview.

I'm sure you will get an interview!! Good luck!:luck:

Nuts, I am so bummed! :( I just called SDSU and they haven't reviewed my application yet. Said the AC meets on Nov 28th and they would review my app at that time. I'm just so anxious for a response.

Nuts, I am so bummed! :( I just called SDSU and they haven't reviewed my application yet. Said the AC meets on Nov 28th and they would review my app at that time. I'm just so anxious for a response.

That could be because they didn't receive your PCAT score early. I took the PCAT before sept. Don't worry you will get good news! =)

That could be because they didn't receive your PCAT score early. I took the PCAT before sept. Don't worry you will get good news! =)

Thanks for the response, I sure appreciate it! I did take the PCAT the end of Sept. This waiting is sure difficult, that's for sure.

tariqsa - hope your interview went well today! :xf: Would love to hear your thoughts on SDSU's pharm program. And the interview process too.

And I just scheduled my interview for Dec 8! You were right, I did get an interview! :D

tariqsa - hope your interview went well today! :xf: Would love to hear your thoughts on SDSU's pharm program. And the interview process too.

And I just scheduled my interview for Dec 8! You were right, I did get an interview! :D

Check your inbox :)

I just received my acceptance letter from SDSU in the mail on Saturday. I am beyond thrilled!!! :D:D:D

Me too.. I will accept it but I have other interviews coming up! :D:luck::xf:

I just received an interview letter for SDSU this past Saturday!!!! What can you tell me about the interview and questions they may ask? Thank you!!!!

I just received an interview letter for SDSU this past Saturday!!!! What can you tell me about the interview and questions they may ask? Thank you!!!!

Check the interview feedback.. I recently posted the questions that I was asked during the interview.

If anyone has been accepted to this school, please let me know so you can be added to the Official Roll Call for Class of 2015/2016. Please post in the sticky thread your acceptances and the program you will be attending (if accepted to multiple schools).

Here is the link to the sticky thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=847419

:):thumbup:

I rec'd a letter in the mail from SDSU stating I have been deferred. This week I also rec'd an email that said I would hear back at the end of this week. Has anyone else been deferred?

I rec'd a letter in the mail from SDSU stating I have been deferred. This week I also rec'd an email that said I would hear back at the end of this week. Has anyone else been deferred?

I wasn't deferred but I applied fairly early. Hope you heard some positive news from SDSU!

I'm won't be attending SDSU ... that will help someone else get a spot! :)

I just received the interview invitation yesterday. I am kind of worrying about the essay that I have to write during interview. Can anyone give me any clue what the essay question look like and how to prepare for it? Thanks!

I'm not looking to submit my low pcat score so what ACT score would be considered good?