south florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amyl

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any information on the groups/hospitals/job markets in the south florida area... generally in or around west palm beach? any info at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any information on the groups/hospitals/job markets in the south florida area... generally in or around west palm beach? any info at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Scary doughnuts, watch out for sharks.

Members don't see this ad :)
First of S Florida is too general of a term.

I know you are essentially talking about Palm Beach downwards to Miami

But it could also be mistaken for Tampa down south to Naples as S Florida.

Anyways, yeah Sheridan dominates the market down from Palm Beach to Miami. They have increased their pay somewhat and most of the MDs make over in the low $300s there. It's a very saturated market.

But keep in mind the private non Sheridan jobs down there aren't the greatest either. My friend is down there. All MD group. Fee for service. Just remember Florida in general has a very high Medicare population. Plus a high unemployment rate in addition to a huge minority population, many of whom lack private insurance.

My friend who's his ass off for $400k a year with 10 weeks off. 60 plus hours a week private practice. No benefits.

Compare a job with Sheridan working 55 hours a week. Guaranteed low 300s. 7 week off plus they pay your occurrence malpractice (worth about $40k in Florida). The numbers between Sheridan and what you earn in private practice are very close.

My friend is on the verge of quitting down in his private group cause hospital wants them to cover 24/7 and they barely get any subsidy. The majority of cases they do on weekends are either self pay or Medicare or Medicaid....

MD anesthesiologist here

I heard that only MDs can give anesthesia in "offices" (ie, not ASCs) in FL

The reason given was that there were too many deaths in offices 2/2 CRNA errors

Is this true?

Sheridan, Anesthestix have practices in So Fla. Emcare trying to get in as well. HCA physicians service will also have large presence in market.
Private groups churn and burn with little chance of partnership. Care team model dominates.
Be very careful about making sweeping judgments about all practices. You must compare total package and hours worked. You will not be seeing many groups anywhere in the country, :laugh: continue to take 10 weeks vacation and still get hospital subsidies.

I would like to be as close as possible to wellington so i guess i meant the general west palm beach area. someone else mentioned HCA to me... how are they? anyone know how to get in contact with sheridan?

I would like to be as close as possible to wellington so i guess i meant the general west palm beach area. someone else mentioned HCA to me... how are they? anyone know how to get in contact with sheridan?

Wellington is a very nice area to raise a family.

I looked at a couple of places back in 2007...they were run by Sheridan. The issue with Sheridan back than were a lot of MDs were working a lot of hours mainly because they weren't fully staffed. I think these days, most MDs work in the low 50s in terms of hours and pay has gone up slight (from the mid to high 200s to the low 300s).

But even Sheridan jobs are tight these days with the Miami-Palm Beach area.

As for how to get in contact with Sheridan? Duh...they have a webpage and contact info if you really want to get a hold of them. It's no secret how to get a hold of them.

http://www.sheridanhealthcare.com/contact.htm

most people work for sheridan. competitive offers too. everyone seems to be happy