SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

South University

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by musicguru, Mar 1, 2007.

1. musicguru

musicguru 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Hey all,

To all those who were at the Feb. 16 interview, have you all heard something? I know a few of you had.

I still haven't heard anything, and I'm getting a bit worried.

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. musicguru

musicguru 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2007
    I know they are having another interview tomorrow, so I'm surprised I haven't heard anything yet.

4. etno

etno 2+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    anyone hear from South University? Know how many they accept? I surprisingly have an interview with them March 30th. Is this pretty much the alternate batch in case some don't accept?

5. KellyBean

KellyBean 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    In the middle of nowhere
    I have an interview this coming Friday (March 16th), but I'm not going. I didn't know they interview all the way till March 30th.

6. etno

etno 2+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Yeah. I thought it was late, but I'm sure it's just in case people they offer a spot to don't accept. My stats are pretty weak. Where you going instead kellybean? What made you not want to attend if you don't mind my asking?

7. musicguru

musicguru 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Hey. I've been waitlisted at South. I don't know how many have been accepted. When, I went to my interview, a little more than 30 had been accepted. So I would think they'll be between 40-50,who knows maybe more, by the end of March. They accept 80. I'm pretty sure March 30 is the last interview.

I'm really hoping to get in.

8. fathom

fathom New Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    I got deferred today. :( I was there March 2, they said they sent out 64 acceptances, not including my session. I think they have 2 more sessions.

9. KellyBean

KellyBean 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    In the middle of nowhere
    I don't know much about South to say that I like or dislike the program. In order to attend South this June, I'd still need to take few pre-req and I just don't know if I'll be able to complete them since they start classes in June. Plus, it's a bit far for me.

I've already been accepted to Appalachia. People don't seem to care for that school, and I was shocked when I was there. The area just turned me off, but after almost a month, I finally got past it and I think this is where I want to go. What they offer to the students is just amazing. I still have like 5 more schools to hear from since I turned in my application REALLY late.

Good luck with your interview etno :) You will do great.

10. Me+PharmD

Me+PharmD 5+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Why would you want to attend a non-accredited school? Just curious...

11. KellyBean

KellyBean 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    In the middle of nowhere
    Every school has to start out somewhere. I'm not too concerned about it. When I was there for an interview, I happened to talk to one of members of the board of trustees. He owned a pharmacy (or maybe more than one), now co-owns it. He comes to the pharmacy every Wednesday (for free) to help the pharmacy students while they're on their rotations. Each student comes there every other Wednesday. How great is that? To have someone there to answer your questions. I really liked him when I talked to him. Maybe because he offered me a cookie :). According to the P1 students, the professors come to school on the weekend before the exam week to help the students.

I want to finish it in 3 year, but I also want as much experience as I can get compared to the students at the 4-year program, and I think Appalachia is able to provide that for their students. The only negative thing I have to say about the school is the area. But they're building a Walmart now, so hopefully it won't be as bad.

Plus, I really like their curriculum.

12. musicguru

musicguru 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Does anybody have any idea how many people have accepted their acceptance? I know a few that are attending elsewhere. Does South release that info? Also, any clue how many were taken off the defered list last year?

13. Me+PharmD

Me+PharmD 5+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Those reasons make sense; plus, you may see an accreditation there before your time is up in 3 years. Sounds like the professors and the drive to help students succeed is enough to overshadow the accreditation aspect.

14. KellyBean

KellyBean 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    In the middle of nowhere
    If you do a quick search for South, you might find a lot of posts from last year .

15. KellyBean

KellyBean 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    In the middle of nowhere
    They're applying for it this April. So hopefully sometimes this year. The accreditation aspect doesn't concern me at all. What concerned me the most when I was there was the town. Very isolated with absolutely nothing to do. My phone didn't even work, so I would have to switch to verizon.

Sorry for stealing musicguru's thread :)

16. bc_ga

bc_ga 2+ Year Member

Nov 15, 2006
    I was also wait-listed, back in November. I heard that they got a lot more applications this year b/c it's the first year they've been fully accredited, and it they didn't know how to deal w/ it so they wait-listed a ton of people.

I imagine a lot of people will be pulled off the wait-list in April, b/c that's when UGA sends out acceptance letters...and since UGA is cheaper, it's the more logical choice.

17. etno

etno 2+ Year Member

Dec 1, 2006
    Oh goodness. They don't have too many slots to fill and it sounds like they already have a lot of people waitlisted. Anyone have an idea around how many candidates are at each interview session?

18. musicguru

musicguru 2+ Year Member

Jan 10, 2007
    good to know, thanks for the info bc_ga. I hope that we both hear good news and are two of those people pulled off! :)

Usually there is 30-40 people at their interview session. And they occasionally did a morning and afternoon interview session.

19. fathom

fathom New Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 23, 2006
    When I was there March 2 they said 32 people had sent in their deposit and the other 32 they were waiting. I guess that second group had gotten accepted recently since you only have 10 days to send in the deposit. However, from reading a few posts about South on here it isn't anyone's first choice school. They could be holding a spot at South until they get into their top choice.

20. PharmD2012

PharmD2012 2+ Year Member

Dec 5, 2006
    I also have an interview the 30th of this month. Hope all goes well.

21. RunForrestRun30

RunForrestRun30 2+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2006
    I was supposed to interview there on March 2nd but couldn't get off of work. THen I was invited to the march 16th interview and couldn't make it either so i scheduled my interview for March 30th. I don't expect to get at this late of a juncture, but who knows, at least it will get me out of this cold weather for a few days and it will be good practice for next year if i don't get in somewhere this year. I hear savannah is really nice.

22. musicc

musicc 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Don't worry about South, they let pretty much anybody in. Honestly, I believe they do it for the money. Honestly if you can't get into South, you probably should look at another profession or do something about your PCAT.

23. PharmDJH

PharmDJH Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Savannah has a lot of history to it so if you like historical thing then you'll love it. If you like modern then savannah isn't your place. As for the school very small, but people there are really nice. It's a 3 yr school so all school no play most of the time I think. Good luck

24. RX student

RX student NSU-WPB campus 2+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2006
    south Florida
    What is your information based on??? I hardly doubt they let everyone that applies in, if that were the case they would have around 1000 students.

25. GatorRxGirl

GatorRxGirl 5+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2005
    Somewhere on the beach.
    Plenty of people don't get in actually. And furthermore, every post you've ever made is some kind of sarcastic remark so please try and be respectful of the people trying really hard to get in somewhere, even if it is a school you don't like.

26. RX student

RX student NSU-WPB campus 2+ Year Member

Oct 7, 2006
    south Florida
    THANKYOU! I completely agree!!

27. musicc

musicc 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Look I'm from this area. I know alot more about South most of you guys applying. Many people going through South's program who are PS3, PS2, and PS1. Lets just say I know some people that "slipped" in the program. The guy that made the school, Mr. South, wants nothing more than money. They are just looking to profit instead of creating individuals who would contribute to community. You don't have to have strong credentials, GPA, pharm exp., or PCAT scores to get in; just deep pockets.

Finally its your choice at the end. I hope you will be happy with it. Enjoy. Savannah is a great place to live in, except for the gnats and hot summers, which is not bad since you're in school year round and work indoors anyways. Students at South are nice. Plus the "dorms" are across the street from the school so its not too far.

28. GatorRxGirl

GatorRxGirl 5+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2005
    Somewhere on the beach.
    Yeah...I'm just a P2 student there who heavily reasearched the school before applying. Everything I'm saying is garbage.

There are people that "slip in" at any school. Every school has a few rotten apples.

I'm sure Mr. South told you his intentions of "only wanting money" personally. So what if he wants money? I want a good education and I'm getting one there.

29. bamboo511

bamboo511 7+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2007
    i have an interview at South on March 30th, i just got an email today. i'm going to go for the interview even though i've already been accepted at LECOM, i like the 3 year program, one less year of studying.

30. musicc

musicc 2+ Year Member

Mar 2, 2007
    Great! best luck to you! You're almost finish!