Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

southeast ob/gyn

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by erlking, Jun 17, 2002.

1. erlking

erlking New Member

Can anyone give me their impression of the different ob/gyn residencies in the southeast. Specifically the ones in Charleston, Savannah, and Tampa - they all got good reviews on scutwork and on amsa for being nonmalignant, residents being happy, and treated well.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. erlking

erlking New Member

I'd appreciate any information anyone has about this, thanks.

4. Hercules

Hercules Son of Zeus
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  5. Ferris

Ferris Member
    7+ Year Member

I would look no farther than UAB. I can't speak much about their US News rankings (which are meaningless), but they are at the top if you look at the NIH rankings, which I believe to be the best measure of a program.

6. DrQuinn

DrQuinn My name is Neo
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I wouldn't forget about UF in Pensacola. I did my OB/GYN month there, and thought it was a good program. Not that I want to do OBGYN, but it definately seemed like they all knew their stuff and they were all very confident. And its very non malignant... and everyone was a big family.

I'm doing a month of trauma surgery at Bayfront, where another OBGYN residency is. I don't have too much interaction with them, but they all seem to be pretty confident as well. I would suggest trying to email one of the residents there.

7. fourthyear

fourthyear Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ferris, where can we see these NIH rankings? Thanks

8. Ferris

Ferris Member
    7+ Year Member

Go to www.nih.gov

From there you can find rankings based on hospital, departments, etc. You will need to look in the section on grants.

9. erlking

erlking New Member

Thanks for the replies, I have looked at Freida and while it does give lots of useful details I am really wondering about people's narrative impressions of the atmosphere of different programs in the SE, Savannah Charleston and Tampa specifically. I am at UAB now, and will do my OB/GYN rotation here later on this year so I will definitely be able to get to know that department. I'd appreciate any opinions on atmosphere, Thanks.

10. dankatzzz

dankatzzz Member
    7+ Year Member

Ferris: where do you find the information that you mentioned on the NIH site?
    Thanks,
    Dani