SouthEast Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smitty

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I know there have been similar posts, but would anybody who has been on the interview trail like to comment on good programs in the SouthEast and mid-atlantic, especially North Carolina? Also, any programs in this area I should stay away from? I don't care about top 10 this or that, just want a strong program. Biological or therapy oriented or both. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

UNC is probably the strongest program in N. Carolina and the residents seemed happiest there. I interviewed at both UNC and Duke and liked both programs, but Duke has a reputation of being malignant. I've heard the residents are highly competitive with each other, and some of the staff are difficult. I've also ran across several residents when I was interviewing at other programs who transferred out of Duke's program. However, I did not pick up on any of this and actually had a good impression of them after the interview.

Univ. S. Carolina is also a very strong program.

I surprisingly really liked Kentucky's program. They have a decent reputation too, particularly in child.

UNC residents seemed to be among the most happy ones I met along the interview trail.

One thing that I'm not sure how it will affect the Duke and UNC programs is that currently both have separate state hospitals at which residents train. The two hospitals are merging and the total number of beds is decreasing so I don't know if both programs will still have that as part of the training.

One thing I didn't care for about Duke is that several faculty members mentioned how the department has cut down inpatient services and focused on research to "keep it in the black." I did think that Duke seemed to have a strong didactics program and strong family therapy training.

MUSC in Charleston is another program that has very happy residents. I didn't interview at Columbia but I've also heard good things about that program.

I didn't care for Emory that much and I heard that MCG had a scandal a few years ago involving the chair misusing research funds but supposedly it is improving.

Again, I didn't interview at either of these programs but I know people at both UVA and Kentucky who are very happy in those programs.

anyone familiar with Jackson Memorial Hospital's Psych residency program?