Southern California Anesthesiology: Private Practice model vs W2 model. How to compare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m military so acronyms are my life!
For years I said “bum **** nowhere” ..... then I was corrected that Egypt is apparently worse than nowhere lol.
And I encourage you to maintain as many skill sets as you can early in your career, it will only keep doors open. The sweet spot for OB is finding a community hospital that does ~500 deliveries/yr. it’s just enough to do a few epidurals and c/s’s each week, maintain your comfort but not hate it. And those small community hospitals generally pay well and have the best doc lounges stocked with all you can eat!
I need to find this mythical hospital. Would love a doctors lounge that is filled like this

@2Fast2Des i think you're too used to the NE.

When I moved back to Texas, the first hospital I went to had a doctors lounge full of different kind of sodas, variety of sandwiches and snacks that you can grab at anytime. during lunch time they would serve us with a nice gourmet meal - things like filet, prime rib, niicely cooked chicken, etc. The partner tell me this was the scaled down version because of covid... I was AMAZED. pretty sure I ate better my first 6 months of private practice than I have at any other 6 months period of my life.

As i got more privileges at the other hospitals, I realized this was the standard. The economics behind it was easy: keep the doctors that bring in procedures happy, one procedure probably paid for a whole month worth of food.

I can't wait to see what non-covid food is gonna be like at these places.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Just out of curiosity, anyone know of anywhere else in the world that has AYCE for less than $15? Such a foreign concept for rest of the world.
Plenty of them in Asian countries. For less than $15. Here's one in South Korea for 5 bucks. Food looks so good.

Reactions: 1 users
@2Fast2Des i think you're too used to the NE.

When I moved back to Texas, the first hospital I went to had a doctors lounge full of different kind of sodas, variety of sandwiches and snacks that you can grab at anytime. during lunch time they would serve us with a nice gourmet meal - things like filet, prime rib, niicely cooked chicken, etc. The partner tell me this was the scaled down version because of covid... I was AMAZED. pretty sure I ate better my first 6 months of private practice than I have at any other 6 months period of my life.

As i got more privileges at the other hospitals, I realized this was the standard. The economics behind it was easy: keep the doctors that bring in procedures happy, one procedure probably paid for a whole month worth of food.

I can't wait to see what non-covid food is gonna be like at these places.

Yep we have a pretty nice breakfast and the lunch is also usually good. These guys seriously know how to bake chicken. Hot soups, salads, all sorts of cereal and chips. They even prepare food and leave it in the fridge for nights and weekends. I eat better at the hospital than at home.

In some groups, OB can be extremely lucrative.

When it comes to OB, I enjoy the nursing staff I work with and some of the OB physicians. I dislike the baby mama drama and the way too many young single moms where I feel bad for the situation the kid is being born into. But even at 3 in the morning I get over it realizing I might be collecting for my group >1K for 5-10 minutes of work. Unfortunately the medicaid epidurals don't pay well but private ones pay great.

Reactions: 1 user