Soverign immunity?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard this term tossed around by members on here a few times in the past few weeks or so. Can anyone elaborate on just what it means to have 'sovereign immunity' ?

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard this term tossed around by members on here a few times in the past few weeks or so. Can anyone elaborate on just what it means to have 'sovereign immunity' ?

Means you can't be mysteriously banned on SDN.

And/or is in reference to the inability of the government or states to be individually sued without consenting to be party to a suit, or such is my understanding.

Sovereign immunity, or crown immunity, is a legal doctrine by which the sovereign or state cannot commit a legal wrong and is immune from civil suit or criminal prosecution.

My understanding in the state of Florida, sovereign immunity prevents state government employees from being sued personally and only the state can be sued. It also caps the suit to less than $100,000 unless the legislature appropriates more funds for the case. (For example, someone incarcerated wrongfully for 10 years.)

Disclaimer, I am not a lawyer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sovereign immunity, or crown immunity, is a legal doctrine by which the sovereign or state cannot commit a legal wrong and is immune from civil suit or criminal prosecution.

My understanding in the state of Florida, sovereign immunity prevents state government employees from being sued personally and only the state can be sued. It also caps the suit to less than $100,000 unless the legislature appropriates more funds for the case. (For example, someone incarcerated wrongfully for 10 years.)

Disclaimer, I am not a lawyer.

Exactly. State employees at select state university hospitals are immune from malpractice essentially because the plaintiff is suing the state. Much like the VA system.

I've got it, and it's pretty much what was said... should I be sued, they don't actually sue me, they sue the Board of Regents at the University of Florida and we have very shallow pockets. Any judgements beyond those very shallow pockets (100K/300K I think) have to be approved by the legislature. It's not perfect, but it's a nice benefit.

For that matter, any judgements against an immune entity are not reported to the National Practitioner's Databank under the doctor's name.

Exactly. State employees at select state university hospitals are immune from malpractice essentially because the plaintiff is suing the state. Much like the VA system.

Yes, although my state's governmental immunity statutes have specifically carved out an exception for governmental employees who are healthcare professionals, meaning the state has totally waived immunity for those cases. There is still immunity, though, for employees of medical facilities owned by the state's department of community health or the department of corrections.