Speaker honorarium for CME activity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pediatric_psydoc

Board Certified Child and Adolescent Psychologist
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common is it for speakers to receive honoraria for CME/CE talks given at a university (where they are not faculty)? I am a board of directors member with a nonprofit who is collaborating with a university to offer a CME. The nonprofit is wanting me to speak at this, and also find additional speakers. The nonprofit is paying for the CEs, and they are not offering honoraria to speakers. I told them that, in my experience, honoraria is typically offered. They told me they never had problems finding speakers for their grand rounds when they didn't offer honoraria.

My experience is limited to four talks I have given, all of which I received honoraria. Others with more experience, please chime in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I think you are correct. Unless they have a pool of folks that want CE credit for giving talks or are faculty at the University it will be hard. I am on the board of a psych org and we offer all non-member speakers an honorarium for doing so. Some of our membership are happy to do so for free. I have only done free talks as part of business marketing in the past. Otherwise, I usually require an honorarium to do so.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure about university, but when our psych association invites speakers, they are given an honorarium. It's nothing to write home about, but we do bump that figure up a good amount for keynotes and such. We have some people who "donate" CE talks for the good of the organization, which is awesome. I have done one in the past. But, in general, I wouldn't speak in many circumstances without some kind of compensation. I am in no need of free work "exposure" to drum up more business or reputation. Been there, done that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Advice I picked up from someone in another industry: Always ask for a payment, even if it is a token amount like $1.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the typical range for an honorarium for speaking engagements like this?

What is the typical range for an honorarium for speaking engagements like this?

Depends on time (1-3 hours) and what kind of presentation. Small presentation for CE event that we put on monthly, or invited talk to the state conference? We probably range between $250 - $3k depending on a lot of factors.

Depends on time (1-3 hours) and what kind of presentation. Small presentation for CE event that we put on monthly, or invited talk to the state conference? We probably range between $250 - $3k depending on a lot of factors.

That’s consistent with the rates I have been paid for the talks I have given as well.