Specialization in ITALY!!How to apply!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

karthikkeyan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys i am intersted in italy for my specialization in surgery!!

one thing i know is that i have to study italian!! rest all how to apply and what all the procedures i have no idea!!

one more question which it bothers me is that whether i can work there after completing my specialization??...

I already completed my under graduate from ukraine...i am a non eu citizen... does that create any problems?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies!!

Members don't see this ad.

Guys i am intersted in italy for my specialization in surgery!!

one thing i know is that i have to study italian!! rest all how to apply and what all the procedures i have no idea!!

one more question which it bothers me is that whether i can work there after completing my specialization??...

I already completed my under graduate from ukraine...i am a non eu citizen... does that create any problems?

Thanks in advance for your kind replies!!
I have the same problem :( But I'm from Bulgaria which is in EU and i'll be last year in medicine. I want to go to Italy for my specialization but I don't have much information how exactly to do it. All i know is that I have to pass an exam i 2 parts :confused: and for sure you can work after completing your specialization :oops: if someone have more information pls write :xf:

i would also like to know the details. i am dominican and just finished my university studies. ill apreciate any information.

Members don't see this ad :)
but I would just forget the idea.

My DH is a vascular surgeon in Italy. He's Italian. It's almost impossible for Italians to get into residency (doesn't matter what specialty). Most work for FREE for 2-3 years before getting in. And then they only get in bc they hospital they worked for free at basically opens a slot for them. In any given year there is only one resident PER YEAR per hospital (if even).

Also, keep in mind that it's far from what I would consider spectacular training (not to criticize my own DH... I think he would agree that the lack of curriculum is appalling). You do mostly scut work your first couple years. He didn't get a solo surgery until he was FINISHED with his residency. Yeah, it says he did solo surgeries in his log but the surgeons with higher rank always take them.

Then after that, there is almost no career path. You basically have to wait for the higher ranked guys to retire/die before you can move up.

I cast a really bad light on the situation here but it's not really that bad. But I certainly wouldn't consider it a top choice if I didn't already live here IYKWIM. Most of our friends in surgery are going abroad for either residency or fellowship.