esqueleto

2+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2016
First off, please forgive me if any of these questions seem ridiculous. I'm only a few weeks into school. As of now, I'm perfectly fine practicing as a general dentist. I am curious, though, if let's say I manage to do very well throughout my 4 years. Would I be in a position to specialize using GPA/class rank alone? Is research or anything else officially/unofficially mandatory for specializing? What does it take to specialize in each of the different specialties? Are there programs with stipends? How strong of an influence does high school & undergraduate performance have on getting specialty program interviews and acceptances?

Oct 24, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Would I be in a position to specialize using GPA/class rank alone?

No, every specialty will want to see devotion to the chosen field through externship a, research, volunteer experience, etc. they want to know you know what you're getting into

Is research or anything else officially/unofficially mandatory for specializing?

See above. Research alone is not a requirement but you should have exposure to the field. I think ortho may appreciate research more than the other specialties but I'm not certain

What does it take to specialize in each of the different specialties?

The #1 thing for all of these specialties is showing you're interested and devoted. The following are also important factors

Omfs - grades, cbse score, externship
Peds - grades, externships
Ortho - grades, research, GRE score
Prosth - idk
Endo - grades and/or experience (most programs like completion of gpr or a few years pp)
perio - idk

Are there programs with stipends?

In omfs all programs pay a stipend, but for 6 year omfs you have to pay medical school tuition. Peds most pay a stipend, some not. Endo most do not pay you, a handful do. Same with prosth and ortho.

How strong of an influence does high school & undergraduate performance have on getting specialty program interviews and acceptances?

High school - not at all
College - very little, if at all, except for 6 year omfs programs where admissions to the medical
school may care about undergrad grades
See my overly generalized response to your qs above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
2+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2015
USA! USA! USA!
Status
Dentist
Are there programs with stipends?
To expand on the theme of finances beyond what @free99 stated, many residencies charge ridiculous tuition. Some ortho and endo residencies may charge upwards of $200,000-$300,000 in tuition. I've run across a few orthodontists with north of $800,000 in student loans. Not sure what they were thinking. This is why I always tell people to go to the cheapest school you get into, ESPECIALLY if you're eyeing a specialty.

Big Hoss

About the Ads
About the Ads