Specializing (OMFS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim Halpert

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. At this point I would really love to specialize in OMFS. I know that I should not even be thinking of specializing at this point, but I want to prepare in case. I have worked for an oral surgeon for 2 years and have really enjoyed everything I have experienced. I know it is important to do well in dental school and possibly take part in reserach while there, but is there any other advice anyone can offer to get me started on the path. Also if anyone wants to give their insight into which schools would give me a better chance at landing a seat in an OMFS program out of U of Florida, Nova, Michigan, VCU, and UNC, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Let me just warn you, people are going to attack you for saying you want to specialize before you even step foot in dental school. Then they will say that you can specialize at any school and no school will raise or lower your chances. They will say that being able to specialize is all about hard work in dental school.

if you shadowed for one for 2 yrs and loved it, go for it.. there is absolutely nothing wrong with pursuing what you want. it is just the next natural step

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, you'd want a strong, established research institution... so UNC or Michigan. Publications will help your applications out significantly, along with the usual.

To me, you'd want a strong, established research institution... so UNC or Michigan. Publications will help your applications out significantly, along with the usual.

I'd go with his advice, as a predent, he already knows exactly how to get into a residency.

Yea I know that people have been ridculed for discussing the possibility of specializing before even entering dental school. I really don't want to give off the idea that I only want to specialize. Working for an OMFS, I got to know dentist pretty well for the restorative part of procedures. I really enjoyed that aspect of dentistry as well and truly look forward to learning all of it in detail in the fall. I just wanted to aim for the right direction so that when the time comes to decide whether or not to specialize, I will be in the right position to be able to make the choice. Thanks for the advice thus far. Any other ideas?

I wanted to specialize years before starting dental school, and it made a huge difference for having the energy and drive to excel. Having a goal to propel you through dental school will make you more likely to specialize. Just be willing and happy to practice general dentistry should you change your mind or be unable to get in, but shoot for the goal.

The school you go to and research you do will not matter nearly as much as good grades, good board scores, and showing a strong interest through surgery externships while in dental school. Reo is wrong - publications will not make that much of a difference. I have friends going on tons of oral surgery interviews this year who haven't published anything and haven barely done a lick of research. As with any specialty, a school with an oral surgery program will give you a better chance of getting in since most schools will accept some of their own. I would lean toward a cheaper school rather than a "reputation" school.

I wanted to specialize years before starting dental school, and it made a huge difference for having the energy and drive to excel. Having a goal to propel you through dental school will make you more likely to specialize. Just be willing and happy to practice general dentistry should you change your mind or be unable to get in, but shoot for the goal.

The school you go to and research you do will not matter nearly as much as good grades, good board scores, and showing a strong interest through surgery externships while in dental school. Reo is wrong - publications will not make that much of a difference. I have friends going on tons of oral surgery interviews this year who haven't published anything and haven barely done a lick of research. As with any specialty, a school with an oral surgery program will give you a better chance of getting in since most schools will accept some of their own. I would lean toward a cheaper school rather than a "reputation" school.

along with the usual.

DOesn't that include high grades, rank and strong interest, obviously.

So you're saying if one publishes it wouldn't help, or have any swaying weight whatsoever?

And, UNC is the "cheap" school for him.

No one is going to mock you for wanting to specialize. You will get mocked if you are a tool. You dont seem like a tool, so you are actually being taken seriously.

Consider this. Most everyone who actually applies to OMFS will put in a packet that reads like this: 88 or higher NBDE 1, Top 10 Rank. Bottom line, the stats count. After that, what is going to make you the most competitive applicant? Research or Externships? All things being equal, doing externships (plural) demonstrates a passion for the specialty and are weighted more in your favor. Therefore, pick a school with long breaks so that you can go on externships and study more for NBDE 1. Also, pick a school with an OS program. That way you can get to know the program director and demonstrate your interest in the clinic so that they can write you a killer letter of recommendation. That LOR from someone in the OS community is huge. So do a good job on your externships with that in mind, and get to know your OS people at your school with that in mind as well.

What about research? Do it, it does look good, but a good paper will not cover low stats or lack of externships.

With good stats and some quality externships and good LOR's, you should get some interviews. What about after that? You need to be someone who can fit in with the other residents, who will become your new family for the next few years (day in and day out for 60 + hours a week). In other words, a decent human being who can relate and has passion for OS should match somewhere. That is kinda why we mock tools who think they will do OS, who is going to want to be around THEM all the time for 4 to 6 years? Just my opinions though.

What if your stats are low? Plan on doing a internship at a OMFS program for the year after school. Or you can think about doing the military route, which is much easier to do, especially the army.

I add the caveat here that I am not planning to specialize directly after school, so take what I am saying here with a large grain o' salt. A lot of this information is straight from our schools OMFS director and residents though, so I am pretty sure it is legit.

Last edited:
This is not necessarily specific to getting into an OMFS program...but just for the dental schools in general if you're going to be concerned about grades.

Find out what the grading scale is for each school, if there is a curve or not, how long the breaks are (as previously mentioned:thumbup:), what classes you get which semester, etc... I'm assuming that doing some sort of research can only help you, but just echoing what others have said already, make sure you work hard, use your passion as motivation, and don't stop! :)

One other thing, depending on how you see yourself competing at the doctoral level, you may want to consider the whole "small fish in a big pond" vs. "big fish in a small pond." From what I understand, the actual GPA means jack @#%! but class rank does...

yea OMFS is cool. You can get a MD and become a Double Doctor. Having the MD and still working as a dentist? Now thats what I call best of both worlds. :laugh::thumbup:

Get ready to work your @$$ off. Even then, theres no guarantee you're gonna get the OMFS. Don't mean to bust your chops but its damn near impossible since you're no longer competing with joe schmo in undergrad.

yea OMFS is cool. You can get a MD and become a Double Doctor. Having the MD and still working as a dentist? Now thats what I call best of both worlds. :laugh::thumbup:

Get ready to work your @$$ off. Even then, theres no guarantee you're gonna get the OMFS. Don't mean to bust your chops but its damn near impossible since you're no longer competing with joe schmo in undergrad....

you're competing verses thee "New Yorkers"

Jmick's post is dead on.

Reo, publishing can help, but it will rarely overcome average grades or board scores.

Jmick's post is dead on.

Reo, publishing can help, but it will rarely overcome average grades or board scores.

How do you view attending a school such as Creighton that has no speciality programs verses a school such as Michigan that does?

I would go to UNC. Ive heard wonderful things about that school although I have never actually been there. Publish a little research (just get you name on a paper somehow) and do super well in school and hope for the best.

I would go to UNC. Ive heard wonderful things about that school although I have never actually been there. Publish a little research (just get you name on a paper somehow) and do super well in school and hope for the best.

UNC

They hope you'll stay in NC and become a NC OMFS

Read the AAOMS news letter...there are a lot of ads for OMFS in NC