Specializing without research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cl24uw06

cl24uw06
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a first year dental student and have an interest in possibly Ortho, Endo, or OMFS. Is it possible to make it into these programs without any research, or is research pretty much a requirement? I am currently ranked number one in my class but have no research. Thanks for your help in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Im ranked 3rd with NO research or extracurriculars and I matched. So yes it is possible

Im ranked 3rd with NO research or extracurriculars and I matched. So yes it is possible

Thanks for the response, that is awesome, congratulations on the match. Did the schools you interviewed at have issue with your lack of research and extracurriculars? Where did you match if you don't mind telling?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a first year dental student and have an interest in possibly Ortho, Endo, or OMFS. Is it possible to make it into these programs without any research, or is research pretty much a requirement? I am currently ranked number one in my class but have no research. Thanks for your help in advance.

That post might as well have started "I am currently a first year dental student and have an interest in making lots of money."

Some of those specialties are polar opposites.

Congrats on being #1 though... no easy feat

Thanks for the response, that is awesome, congratulations on the match. Did the schools you interviewed at have issue with your lack of research and extracurriculars? Where did you match if you don't mind telling?

I really think it depends on the school. A school that doesnt have a lot of research within the curriculum probably wont care if you have done much research. So they probably wont ask you why you havent done any. But I really feel that some programs that are 3 years long with a masters wont interview you if they see you have no research. So I guess there is a trade off. I applied to many schools, and the only places I interviewed were non-research based programs. Is it better to have research?? Sure, because you look like more of a well rounded applicant and you may end up getting more interviews, but personally I would like to have a higher rank and board scores than have a lot of research.

That post might as well have started "I am currently a first year dental student and have an interest in making lots of money."

So what? What difference does it make in your life what his motives are? Its his choice and if he wants to apply to all 3 it shouldnt matter to you.

So what? What difference does it make in your life what his motives are? Its his choice and if he wants to apply to all 3 it shouldnt matter to you.

It makes no difference to me and it doesn't matter to me.

LD Pankey said that 2% of dentists are masters. 8% are adept. 36% are students. 54% are indifferent.

If you persue a specialty you don't like because you want to line your pockets, I'd say you are much less likely to become a master and much more likely to become indifferent. For your future patients' sake (not mine), choose the job (specialty, GP, etc) you love and you'll never have to work a day of your life.

It makes no difference to me and it doesn't matter to me.

LD Pankey said that 2% of dentists are masters. 8% are adept. 36% are students. 54% are indifferent.

If you persue a specialty you don't like because you want to line your pockets, I'd say you are much less likely to become a master and much more likely to become indifferent. For your future patients' sake (not mine), choose the job (specialty, GP, etc) you love and you'll never have to work a day of your life.

lol or you can wake up and join the real world

It's probably going to depend on the program. Certainly I don't think that research would weaken your application, assuming you are well-rounded in other areas. The real key is if you do research, it would be beneficial to do it in the area you are interested in. So your first mission is to determine what specialty floats your boat, and then pursue some research in areas relating to that. That's the best plan.

Thanks for standing up to the "master" for me. I hate the fact that anytime anyone posts anything to do with specializing someone will inevitably post some crap about they must be in it just for the money. And no, I am not just searching for the quickest way to make the most money. I have given it a lot of thought and for a long time I have been very interested in OMFS; however I don't want to be so close minded and blaze my way through school without considering some other options. I don't feel the need to explain myself but I also feel at this time that Ortho and Endo could be a great fit. This summer I am going to shadow these specialties and see for sure if I should pursue one of them. In the mean time I am trying to do well in school to keep my options open. As a side note I also love General Dentistry and would be more than satisfied to end up there. It is not about the money but about finding what I love. Don't worry I think all of us will have plenty of income no matter where we end up.

Right on. There's no need to defend yourself against pretentious, self-righteous pricks.

Definitely there are some programs that don't require research but most programs that offer masters do require it (for ortho at least). Endo is trickier, you might have to do a GPR or AEGD and that might or might not be more important than research.

Congrats on being #1 though... no easy feat

S

Members don't see this ad :)
So the only people who can enjoy more than one aspect of dentistry are GPs? If the OP ends up doing general dentistry should he limit his practice to crowns and fillings, or will it then be ok for him to do some endo, some minor ortho, some extractions, etc.? I had a real debate between oral surgery and ortho, which are totally different specialties (often with a similar overall goal). Will this make me a bad orthodontist? It won't, but you seem to be saying that it will.

I'm saying you should only specialize if you are really attracted to one area and want to limit your practice to that area only, not for financial reasons. If you like a little of everything, be a GP. When I become a GP, I'll decide what I like and don't like and everything I don't will be promptly referred. I plan to practice a wider scope (as much as reasonable OH will allow), but I also plan to know when to punt when it is in the best interest of the patient.

I would argue that someone who goes into ortho that had a previous interest in oral sx would be all the better for it, especially if they had observed some orthognathics from an OS perspective before being on the ortho end of it. It's only going to enhance their communication with their oral surgeons and will ultimately result in a better outcome for the patient.

By the same token, our fixed prosth professors keep telling us how much better it is to work with endodontists who have been out in the real world as general practitioners for a short time, b/c when it comes to posts and cores, the endodontist knows to leave out a certain amount of gutta percha for the post, etc.

To give my perspective on your origninal question, I would say for oral surgery it's going to depend entirely on the program. (if you come somewhere like Michigan where they pride themselves way too much on research, than having it on your app is going to be a big plus. I am sure there are many OS programs out there which are more clinical and a lot less academic, and if I were you, that's where I'd apply.

For ortho, as others have said, you're going to have to get an MS, meaning, you'll have to do research during your program, so already having a foundation in it would be beneficial for ortho, but clearly not req'd.

For endo, as a previous poster said, research isn't critical, but it's all going to depend on philosophy of the program. For example, in Michigan, U of M would be all over that research experience, but Detroit Mercy would more than likely put less emphasis on it and more on rank, NBDE I, externships, etc. Endo is very tough to get into right out of school. You may need a GPR/AEGD or a year or 2 out in the real world as an associate.

Best of luck in whichever route you choose.

To give my perspective on your origninal question, I would say for oral surgery it's going to depend entirely on the program. (if you come somewhere like Michigan where they pride themselves way too much on research, than having it on your app is going to be a big plus. I am sure there are many OS programs out there which are more clinical and a lot less academic, and if I were you, that's where I'd apply.

For ortho, as others have said, you're going to have to get an MS, meaning, you'll have to do research during your program, so already having a foundation in it would be beneficial for ortho, but clearly not req'd.

For endo, as a previous poster said, research isn't critical, but it's all going to depend on philosophy of the program. For example, in Michigan, U of M would be all over that research experience, but Detroit Mercy would more than likely put less emphasis on it and more on rank, NBDE I, externships, etc. Endo is very tough to get into right out of school. You may need a GPR/AEGD or a year or 2 out in the real world as an associate.

Best of luck in whichever route you choose.

you had me at hello.

It amazes me how every time I come on this site and someone talks about specialty, there is ALWAYS someone who claims they only care about money. Leave the guy alone! If you have something to say, then answer the question posed on the thread!

Research is completely subjective. If you do a project now, will it involve the specialty you adventually will pursue? How relative is the work that comes out of it? I conducted research before and during dental school. Mostly because I enjoy finding my own answers to questions. On my interviews, I was surprised on how many schools focused on my work.

Your rank and National board scores will get you in the door, but what are you going to talk about at your interview? They look at your grades and congradulate you for all the hard work and getting to the interview and from that point foward they pick at your CV. The more you have in it, the more you stand out from those around you and I think thats the key. Is it necessary? No, but does it help? Most Likely.

You should have some research experience. Many people get in with "resume research" experiences which in the game of ortho is probably better than no research. The difference between "resume research" and a serious commitment to a project is easily inferred. I have heard the (dumb) argument many times in ortho that "Oh, our program requires you to do research and no one will hold your hand in residency so that's why it's important to have research experience so you know what you're doing!" So at least having some experience won't hold you back from being considered by the places that think this way, which is probably a lot of programs. Research is not hard to teach any intelligent person so I think it's a flawed argument, but people still believe it.

Thanks for standing up to the "master" for me. I hate the fact that anytime anyone posts anything to do with specializing someone will inevitably post some crap about they must be in it just for the money. And no, I am not just searching for the quickest way to make the most money. I have given it a lot of thought and for a long time I have been very interested in OMFS; however I don't want to be so close minded and blaze my way through school without considering some other options. I don't feel the need to explain myself but I also feel at this time that Ortho and Endo could be a great fit. This summer I am going to shadow these specialties and see for sure if I should pursue one of them. In the mean time I am trying to do well in school to keep my options open. As a side note I also love General Dentistry and would be more than satisfied to end up there. It is not about the money but about finding what I love. Don't worry I think all of us will have plenty of income no matter where we end up.

hi - if you would like to stay at UW for any of those programs, i would get involved with research!

speaking of UW and ortho, what happened with their opening following match?

did they fill it with a student at UW or proceed with another round of interviews?

just curious...

speaking of UW and ortho, what happened with their opening following match?

did they fill it with a student at UW or proceed with another round of interviews?

just curious...

From what I heard, several people were invited back for another interview. I know the spot went to a UNC guy.:thumbup:

Thank you to those who provided helpful information, I truly appreciate it. I think that I will try to pursue some research that interests me. Texas_dds how did you enjoy UW's Otho program, are you going to stay and practice in the area?

From what I heard, several people were invited back for another interview. I know the spot went to a UNC guy.:thumbup:

so there were individuals who interviewed at UW twice? didn't match initially and got invited back? i would have expected all the first time interviewees to have matched elsewhere... it is hard to believe any of the 20 or so people UW interviewed not matching initially

you'd be surprised! the match is a wacky animal
to the UW student - why dont ya come over to the grad clinic sometime, im by the oral surgery side near the window

you'd be surprised! the match is a wacky animal

I get so sick of hearing about how crazy, unfair, strange, messed up, etc. the match is and how it doesn't work for some people and how it's a big game.

as long as candidates and programs rank one another based upon their sincere and true preference, everyone wins. i see the excuses about how strange the match is to be just that... EXCUSES.

supposedly highly qualified candidates don't get in each year, but to blame the match for this is simply unfair. it likely has more to do with personalities; those of the individuals in power at the programs the candidate applied and those in place at his or her own dental school. i feel the dental school one attends has MUCH more significance in the process than most are willing to admit.

I get so sick of hearing about how crazy, unfair, strange, messed up, etc. the match is and how it doesn't work for some people and how it's a big game.

as long as candidates and programs rank one another based upon their sincere and true preference, everyone wins. i see the excuses about how strange the match is to be just that... EXCUSES.

supposedly highly qualified candidates don't get in each year, but to blame the match for this is simply unfair. it likely has more to do with personalities; those of the individuals in power at the programs the candidate applied and those in place at his or her own dental school. i feel the dental school one attends has MUCH more significance in the process than most are willing to admit.

dude its no excuse its just the truth. im sorry the truth is not so pretty. the 2nd round of interviews we had for that spot were not people that interviewed here the first time.

The simple answer is no, it is not required. HOWEVER, many of the university based programs include research in their post-graduate programs. Therefore, if you have not done any, you will not be a strong candidate. It will help in hospital-based programs too, though not quite as much. Research is not the only thing you can do in school, but you should seek out things that will help you learn more about the field and show your interest. Research is a good one. Good luck!

Candidates can rank programs by their true preferences and have awesome personalities, but the programs have the power to play with politics and stick in the clinic donor's kid or the dean's favorite into a match spot above everyone else. If you haven't seen it yet, then ask around and you will.

Everyone will never win because there are double the number of candidates entering the match than there are spots available. So you have programs that invite 70 people to interview for 4 spots. Then there are programs that get 150 applications, invite 20 for 4 spots but only submit 10 on their rank list and end up with something open after match. Qualified candidates are going to get left out.

Everyone will never win because there are double the number of candidates entering the match than there are spots available...

Qualified candidates are going to get left out.

I recognize the fact quality candidates don't match. However, I still feel blaming the match is a big excuse. If the match didn't exist there would still be nepotism and politics and qualified individuals would in all likelihood still miss out on positions.

Truthfully, I am not a huge advocate of the match. I think it is a huge disadvantage to the most qualified applicants who could hold multiple offers under a non-match system. Yet, the match is what it is and it's the best and most fair system available for all applicants.

texas_dds, ranked UW #1 when she applied a couple years back which tells me she could have had MANY acceptances in a non-match scenario. it is candidates like her who must make their decision without all the facts they could have in a non-match scenario that get screwed.

Applying to specialty programs is no different than applying for a job as politics, family ties, and personalities prevent QUALIFIED applicants from obtaining the positions they desire everyday. It's called LIFE and to blame the match because it is an imperfect system is pathetic. Even without the match there are still more than twice as many applicants relative to positions available.

texas_dds, ranked UW #1 when she applied a couple years back which tells me she could have had MANY acceptances in a non-match scenario. it is candidates like her who must make their decision without all the facts they could have in a non-match scenario that get screwed.

It's candidates like this who would hold multiple acceptances and then take forever to decide is why I also think the match is the best system possible. The superstar candidate isn't getting screwed by the match - they are just being forced to decide ahead of time who really is your #1 choice rather than dragging out the process. The match basically pushes up the deadline for everyone to decide. You have all the facts from the interview before you enter the match list - cost, time, requirements, location, stipend, research, etc. The fact that it is so competitive and those who get left out blame it on the match isn't entirely false - they weren't ranked high enough by any of the programs on their lists so yeah, in that case, "match sucks" because they didn't get a match.

yikes i didnt know my 2 year old rank list was floating around in cyber space!
and dont you all assume im some superstar, my orthodontist as a teen was absolutely right when he told me 14 years ago "becoming an orthodontist is a bit of a crapshoot, you gotta work your tail off, be personable, and be very lucky." I think the match is wonderful - there is no other fair system for all the reasons stated before, i just meant its wacky because murphy's law does exist sometimes! i always compare it to the BCS college football thing when i explain the match to laypeople - it usually works but sometimes that computer will crank out a strange result.