Specialties in Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhowe2909

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm contemplating applying to dental programs, but I need to do alot more research before I make any decisions. Aside from shadowing dentists, where can I find information about GP and the different specialties? I'd like to know about residencies, lifestyles, competitiveness, etc. Any information would help, even if you just point a few points about what you're interested in and why.

Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Dentaltown.com is a easy "self study" way to see the goods and bads of the profession. There are forums for each specialty, and business forums as well.

Dentaltown.com is a easy "self study" way to see the goods and bads of the profession. There are forums for each specialty, and business forums as well.

I would agree that Dental Town would help.
Besides from shadowinjg... if you are unsure, often an AEGD or a GPR may help... but you have only the first two months to make up your mind to get into a speciality for the following year. You can always go a GPR/AEGD for one year... plan on pvt practice for the next... and speciality the year later... the combo of an advance year and a year of practice wont hurt (but will take time)

I'm contemplating applying to dental programs, but I need to do alot more research before I make any decisions. Aside from shadowing dentists, where can I find information about GP and the different specialties? I'd like to know about residencies, lifestyles, competitiveness, etc. Any information would help, even if you just point a few points about what you're interested in and why.

Thanks...

You can learn more out about different dental speciaties by going into the ADA (American Dental Association) website and look up about different fields of dentistry. There is much more in dentistry than what you may think. DP