Specialties seeing which other specialties you apply to

Started by rocketfan
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rocketfan

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I decided to apply to derm fairly late in the game. I was initially going for Ortho and have only recently made the switch. In fact, I already applied to 35 Ortho programs.

Do any of you know if it is possible for the Ortho programs to see that I applied to Derm, or if it is possible for the Derm program to see that I applied to Ortho?

Thanks so much for the advice! Your help is much appreciated.
 
Are you going to apply to both or are you cancelling your ortho apps?

As far as I know, there's no way for the 2 programs to see that you applied to other programs. The only circumstance where you might get in trouble is if somehow your LORs get mixed up...
Also, if you are interviewing at the same hospital for both programs, you *might* run into the other dept that you already interviewed with during your interview with the 2nd specialty... but that is very very unlikely. Although... you know how Murphy's Law works...

In general, I can't imagine ortho and derm departments talking with each other...
 
I think xyzyz nailed it. The things that can happen at this point are sorta out of your control. I'd guess that you don't mind what the ortho programs find out. As far as Derm, if someone happens to bring it up, be honest and say you have the interest in Derm and do your best to convice them it's what you're passionate about.

If derm programs find out and you don't know that they do...well, all you can do is hope for the best. But yeah, I don't think Derm and Ortho programs would communicate that much about that sort of thing. Plus, if you only go for Derm interviews, it won't be something like 'Ortho resident: 'Hey, that guy just interviewed here for Ortho...what the?!'".
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys. I am applying to both because I am unsure as to how strong my chances will be for Derm as nearly all of my research is in ortho. I feel like by applying to both I can still have a decent backup option in casemy Derm stuff doesn't pan out.
 
This is essentially the same thing that happened to me last year with ENT. I think, as a previous poster said, my LOR's got mixed up as several programs asked about ENT. Needless to say, I didn't match. Unless you are planning on ranking Ortho, I would get a backup plan ready.