Specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaiart

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a general question here;

What specialties are people of this forum planning on?

I am debating between Psychiatry, OB/GYN and a few others.

I'm sure once I get into residency and get taste of rotation I will have better insight if not a change of mind or more focus.

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely some form of primary care! And whatever specialty I choose --at the moment I'm the most interested in family practice,gynecology, and bariatrics-- I will devote my career to improving the health care of women.

There are two I'm most interested in. The first one that I'm leaning toward is the combo in psychiatry/internal medicine (some schools offer this hybrid residency) or plain psychiatry. The second one is pediatric hematology/oncology.

Members don't see this ad :)
EMERGENCY MEDICINE/PEDIATRICS

AND OR FLIGHT MEDICINE

I am thinking of neurology, radiology or peds EM. Does anyone have any experience with or know what a pathologist does? I had an interview with one and was a bit embarrased because I didn't know what he did.

I was thinking about radiology, neurology, cardiology, or some sort of surgical subspecialty... :D

As you can see, I really haven't nailed it down yet. :D Just not family practice or OB/GYN...

Hi there.

I have been thinking in Internal Medicine/ID or probably some surgical specialty. I think our final decision will come after the third year in med school.

Merry X'mas to all!

:cool:

I'm pretty sure I want to work in pediatrics but also want to do some sort of neurology or neurosurgery..so maybe pediatric neurology or pediatric neurosurgery even

I will probably go into either pediatrics or internal medicine.

for joseph reses:
What interested you in pediatric hematology/oncology?

Hey all,

I really want to be in a specialty that is closely tied with preventative medicine. As of right now my experiences with cardiology have been very positive and so if I had to decide today I'd probably go with that. Traditionally I think that many cardiologists were just plumbers (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but I think that trend is changing and the new paradigms of the future will bring the preventative medicine aspect of cardiology to the forefront (I hope). Good thread, really gets me thinkin'! Ciao.

Originally posted by italianlove:
•Hey all,

I really want to be in a specialty that is closely tied with preventative medicine.•••

You might want to check out getting a degree in Public Health as well then. If you are really interested in preventative health care (one of the best places to provide equitable care) then Public Health is the best place to learn about it and get some experience, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to go into some sort of specialized surgery but I don't expect I will really know until the third year of med school or so.

Really leaning towards pediatric neurosurgery....I want to work with kids for sure, and I like the idea of working with kids with neurological disorders that have to be treated surgically. Plus, who wants a decent lifestyle until they are 35, right?

My list of which type of medicine I want to practice grows by the day. Almost every time I learn about something new, I want to do it. However, there are a few things that stay near the top of the list all the time: orthopedic surgery, neurology, hem/onc, ob/gyn... All fairly different in most respects, too. I am thinking that I'll be one of those people who will be deciding what residency I want to do at the very last minute.

Surgery is hardcore stuff. My dad is a surgeon and so I know how hard a surgeon's life can be. I used to say I wanted to do neurosurgery; but these days I've gotten so lazy that the thought is rapidly fading out. Anyhow it's great to know that after 7 years in school, MD/PhDs get their pick of residency programs. I'm considering pediatrics, neurology, pathology, internal medicine, or even some country-ass medicine; it's all good! :D

"Ay Billy! go get me a rope from the barn; lets use it to restrict the blood flow to this woman's appendix"

Original ain't kidding about surgery being hardcore. I too think about neurosurgery, but the 100-140 hour weeks is not conducive to me being happy. That being said, neurosurg is the worst (hardest, longest) surgical specialty, so I'm hoping the others will be somewhat more flexible in terms of time committment. Hey, at least I can hope!

A lot of students figure out which residency they want to pursue by first determining what they don't wanna do. If I had to pick, I'm leaning towards interventional cardiology (3 years IM, 4 years fellowship).

I've already ruled out a lot of stuff that I'm just not interested in: OB/GYN, Psych, Geriatrics, EM, any surgical specialty.

I have narrowed my list down. It will be Psych, all aspects of it. I know quite a few people who could use the services of a head shrink. I also know people who have seen noodle mechanics so I have seen first hand the difference therapy can make in a person's life.

If there is one thing that I want to be able to do it's help people through trying times ( life has no instruction manual) it's hard sometimes to get a handle on your own life particularly when you're so busy living it that you don't have time to look at it or you just need a set of fresh eyes looking at it.

I have deep interest in addiction psych, I know 2 hardcore druggie's that are friend's ( one is my best friend) and I have seen the struggle they go through trying to live with that terrible albatross.

Child psych is also an interest, particularly with the numbers of fatherless children, dysfunctional families. Maybe a community based (low cost) counseling program can alleviate some of the unneccesary suffereing low income people go through.

Basically I want to help people's mental well being.

hi k's mom,

well, for starters I've always liked children. But knowing that many of these children are terminal, my heart just breaks. I know there are a lot of medical advances in leukemia/lymphoma, and my interest is in helping the most innocent victims of a tragic illness.... I've also had a good friend who's taken that road, and we've had many discussions on the topic. He's known a few people who have died. So besides my rambling, I guess I'm interested primarily because I want to make their lives easier, while they still have time left. Sad, but maybe it's my mission...I don't know yet.

Joe

Infectious Diseases or ER
Also interested in Public Health/International Health/Epidemiology

Of all the possible jobs and careers in the world, I decided I want to be a doctor. I think that's specialized enough for now. :)

today i want to be a transplant surgeon. great blend of epidemiology, surgery, long-term care, meaningful and life-saving work.

on other days, i have wanted to go into:
ortho - specialize in sports medicine
ob/gyn
pediatric neurosurgery
psych

I am considering either peds hem/onc or radiation oncology as a specialty. I won't rule out infectious disease, though.

It's interesting to note that no one has mentioned gastroenterology here... while I admit it wouldn't have been on the top of my list either, working in a GI office has exposed me to the field... pretty fascinating, and it's one of the more procedure-driven internal medicine sub-specialties (colonoscopies and EGDs), so the salaries are generally bigger too...

hi j. reses

Thanks for your candid response to the pediatric hem./onc. question. My son sees a hem./onc. for a blood disorder. He and his colleagues are wonderful, but since my son is not terminal or fighting for his life, I always feel a sense of selfishness when we go to appointments. Almost as if I don't have the right to take up his time with my concerns because his other patients are so desperately ill. I truly appreciate the fact that you would walk willingly into a specialty that has to deal with so much desperation and sorrow. Thanks, and good luck!

I want to go into Forensic Pathology - but after four knee surgeries, I also know how important orthopedic surgeons are and have also considered that field... But, forensic pathology has great hours, gives you the ability to speak for those who no longer can, and there's no complaining or return patients! :)

Jaiart climbs up on his soapbox..... Uh Hmmm, " I personally feel that my area of medical practice will have to be something I deeply care about. Something I love, which is why I am choosing psych. I cannot do this just for the money or great hours. In my humble opinion medicine is like teaching, police work, religious service in that it is a calling. Albeit medicine is a well paid calling but a calling nonetheless so I looked inside myself to see what about people's well being interests me most. Weight management is high on my list as the nation's weight skyrockets and people are being encouraged to gluttony "Would you like to supersize that?" "No this humongous bag of Lay's potato chips aren't for sharing" Down at the core of my soul I really care about people's mental states. I feel that if a person is able to maintain mental health then all other health issue's can be dealt with. With so much stress being heaped on people's shoulders and society not adequately preparing it's citizenry there is more mental stress then ever. Seemingly at a time when health benefits for mental conditions are constantly being attacked and erroded."

"Thank You" :)

Jaiart steps down off his soapbox...

Pediatrics for me as you probably have guessed im just tossing up what type i want to do - i like the idea of neo nates but then emergency side calls maybe i will just be a doctor - huh?