Specialty choice

Started by ZeaL6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ZeaL6

Class of 2018
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!I know I only start school in the Fall but I have a serious question about specialty. I've always been the kind of person who said waiting til rotations is the best idea. However, I'd like to end up in an academic hospital at some point, and from what I hear many of them "require" research in their field. If you don't know what specialty you want to go into, how do you do research in that field? I'm reconsidering my decision to wait to decide but I'm really not sure what to do? How did you decide? Did you wait for rotations? Shadow a ton prior? Read a book on different specialties? What have you done and what is your recommendation? Thank you guys so much!
 
Hello everyone!I know I only start school in the Fall but I have a serious question about specialty. I've always been the kind of person who said waiting til rotations is the best idea. However, I'd like to end up in an academic hospital at some point, and from what I hear many of them "require" research in their field. If you don't know what specialty you want to go into, how do you do research in that field? I'm reconsidering my decision to wait to decide but I'm really not sure what to do? How did you decide? Did you wait for rotations? Shadow a ton prior? Read a book on different specialties? What have you done and what is your recommendation? Thank you guys so much!

As you suggested, you can't do research in your field of interest if you don't know what you're interested in. Often those who match into competitive fields had an idea of what they wanted to do from day 1, or took a year off to focus on research after deciding.
 
Hello everyone!I know I only start school in the Fall but I have a serious question about specialty. I've always been the kind of person who said waiting til rotations is the best idea. However, I'd like to end up in an academic hospital at some point, and from what I hear many of them "require" research in their field. If you don't know what specialty you want to go into, how do you do research in that field? I'm reconsidering my decision to wait to decide but I'm really not sure what to do? How did you decide? Did you wait for rotations? Shadow a ton prior? Read a book on different specialties? What have you done and what is your recommendation? Thank you guys so much!
Many work on projects in 3rd year. Either on their own time or in dedicated research rotations. I have met a few 4th years who managed to do 5-10 posters and pubs during 3rd year. You will probably develop some idea by the time you schedule your rotations. I knew what I wanted from day 1, but for those that don't know our counselors recommend shadowing between 1st/2nd.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I shadowed a ton of docs prior to med school, and in the summer between M1/M2. Really helped me rule out a lot of fields. There are so many specialties you just don't get exposed to during 3rd year. It's the super competitive specialties that really want research in their field for you to match into residency, so spend time exploring those fields to see if they're a good fit.

If you're worried about an academic position as an attending, you'll be able to tackle research projects during residency as well. How many you can do depends on the field and your drive/opportunities, but that's far down the line.
 
Wait till third year to make the final decision, but come up with lots of options before then by shadowing around. You can do research projects that overlap with multiple areas of interest. Interested in radiology and orthopedics? Do a musculoskeletal imaging project. Interested in ENT and radiation oncology? Do head & neck cancer rad onc project. Interested in derm and neuro? Do a project on neurocutaneous syndromes.
 
Wait till third year to make the final decision, but come up with lots of options before then by shadowing around. You can do research projects that overlap with multiple areas of interest. Interested in radiology and orthopedics? Do a musculoskeletal imaging project. Interested in ENT and radiation oncology? Do head & neck cancer rad onc project. Interested in derm and neuro? Do a project on neurocutaneous syndromes.
And this, sir, is why you're in a competitive specialty. :=|:-): Hattip to you, Mr. Smarty.
 
Wait till third year to make the final decision, but come up with lots of options before then by shadowing around. You can do research projects that overlap with multiple areas of interest. Interested in radiology and orthopedics? Do a musculoskeletal imaging project. Interested in ENT and radiation oncology? Do head & neck cancer rad onc project. Interested in derm and neuro? Do a project on neurocutaneous syndromes.

Orthopedics and ophtho? Eye sockets? lol
 
Many. If you're in school at a level 1 trauma center, there will be tons of blowouts to develop a project on. I would approach an ophtho or ENT physician about it once you scope out which are interested in research and good research mentors. If you have a topic or idea in hand, most people will be very accomodating.
 
I've seen the orbit shared between ophtho, ENT, and OMFS with respect to trauma. I suppose it's a good area to research if you know you want to be above the thoracic inlet with your specialty.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Urology and Ortho? (See what I'm trying to do here?)


cockbone.jpg
 
wtf is that picture, is it a monkey or something

I think this is more of a story than a picture. A story about a man's rather impressive 11.5" boner and his unfortunate struggle with penitis ossificans