Specialty considerations when choosing medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ua2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think its important that the medical school you choose to attend have the specialty that you are interested in? For example, I'm applying to my two in state MD schools, but only one of them has an dermatology department/residency program. Also, considering Heme/Onc and that same school also has the only heme/onc fellowship in the state. I heard Derm is all about the connections you make.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Also consider the fact that no matter how sure you think you are of what specialty you want to go into, most people end up changing their mind multiple times in medical school.

So think about that before you choose a medical school based on the residencies they are affiliated with.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You won't really know what field you want to go into until rotations. Everyone is surprised that some of the fields they thought they hate they like and some of the fields they thought they'd like they hate. Most people change their minds at least once. And you can be influenced by amazing mentors in one field or an obnoxious detractor or two that might make you avoid another. And your Step 1 score may open or close doors and change things. So I'd be careful putting too much weight on this.

Reactions: 1 user
By the end of their 3rd year, most of my students just know what they DON'T want to do!

You won't really know what field you want to go into until rotations. Everyone is surprised that some of the fields they thought they hate they like and some of the fields they thought they'd like they hate. Most people change their minds at least once. And you can be influenced by amazing mentors in one field or an obnoxious detractor or two that might make you avoid another. And your Step 1 score may open or close doors and change things. So I'd be careful putting too much weight on this.

Reactions: 1 user