Specialty Matching from UOP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hootanfellows

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to know if it is harder to get into specialties like ortho or oral surgery coming out of Pacific. I really fell in love with the school but I also want to keep my options open after graduation. I heard that UOP grads dont really have a problem getting into specialities. True??Thanks for the input.

Members don't see this ad.

hootanfellows said:
Hey guys, just wanted to know if it is harder to get into specialties like ortho or oral surgery coming out of Pacific. I really fell in love with the school but I also want to keep my options open after graduation. I heard that UOP grads dont really have a problem getting into specialities. True??Thanks for the input.

BUMP

When I was interviewing, a few applicants asked Dr. Yarborough the same question. He said that they don't have any problems matching students with specialties.

That being said, I know a student from Pacific that just matched with the oral surgery program at Michigan. It appears that OS programs are mostly interested in high board scores and students from the top 10% of the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
there are many students that got into specialty programs this year, including myself. 19/19 students got into pedo. 5/6 got into an oral surgery program (none at michigan however). there were also 5 getting into both ortho and endo programs.

ironlung said:
there are many students that got into specialty programs this year, including myself. 19/19 students got into pedo. 5/6 got into an oral surgery program (none at michigan however). there were also 5 getting into both ortho and endo programs.

Are these stats for UOP? If they are, then I'm shocked, this is in contradiction with what I believe in.

ironlung said:

wow that is pretty remarkable. Do you know when exactly UOP students have time to take their boards?

ironlung said:
That's surprisingly good. 19 pedo is especially second to none.

ironlung said:

That is amazing. How many are in each class at UOP?

ironlung said:

Without counting Perio and Protho, that's 19pedo+5oms+5ortho+5endo /75 = 45% specializing rate. Plus Perio and Protho it exceeds half the class. This percentage is much more convincing than counting GPR and AEGDs(UOP graduates don't need them anyways). Man, I think some saying regarding specialty schools among us SDNers need to be changed. UOP is one of the best specializing school if that's the case.

Profchaos said:
Without counting Perio and Protho, that's 19pedo+5oms+5ortho+5endo /75 = 45% specializing rate. Plus Perio and Protho it exceeds half the class. This percentage is much more convincing than counting GPR and AEGDs(UOP graduates don't need them anyways). Man, I think some saying regarding specialty schools among us SDNers need to be changed. UOP is one of the best specializing school if that's the case.

You're an idiot. Maybe you should learn math before you try to get into dental school. There are 138 students in each class at UOP.

brycethefatty said:
You're an idiot. Maybe you should learn math before you try to get into dental school. There are 138 students in each class at UOP.

Ha. What a bitter man, not even wothy for me to argue with.
Maybe I should have found out the class size of UOP, but does it have anything to do with mathematics?
138 students. I took back my words; UOP is not a good specialty school, you happy now?

Members don't see this ad :)
I still don't believe they have such high numbers for specialty matching. Where are the numbers from? Is there a website that you can link me to for confirmation?

I thought they are primarily a clinical school. It seems that all I've heard are how nice the labs are and how much fun the students are having. Specialty matching rate? No way. Orrrrr Way?

well i can attest to these stats because i am a graduating student there...and have matched somewhere. the school is great and it shaves off one year (though not in price).

ironlung said:
well i can attest to these stats because i am a graduating student there...and have matched somewhere. the school is great and it shaves off one year (though not in price).

Thanks for your thoughts. I like to hear other comments as well.

since CA schools are very competitive in general, the stats could be right.
it is just that it never occurs to me there will be 75(almost 50%) people who want to specialize. I thought most people just want to be GP. in general, about 20-25% applied and got into a specialty. so that's about right.

it is always possible to get into a specialty in all dental schools. not everybody wants to specialize anyway. i m sure those people who want to get in will have to do more work in order to get in. i m just curious how do they decide which area to get into if they only get 3 yrs of exposure.

Profchaos said:
Ha. What a bitter man, not even wothy for me to argue with.
Maybe I should have found out the class size of UOP, but does it have anything to do with mathematics?
138 students. I took back my words; UOP is not a good specialty school, you happy now?

I don't know why you think I'm bitter. I'm just pointing out the obvious that you (profchaos) are just another ignorant idiot on this forum that pretends to know what he's talking about, and presents everthing as a sure fact; in reality, you are just pulling it right out of your arse.

brycethefatty said:
I don't know why you think I'm bitter. I'm just pointing out the obvious that you (profchaos) are just another ignorant idiot on this forum that pretends to know what he's talking about, and presents everthing as a sure fact; in reality, you are just pulling it right out of your arse.

The only thing I did wrong is obtaining false data. If that affended you, I apolagize. That being said, you better shut up and recalculate your ignorance.

Retract your claws folks.... retract.....

jk5177 said:
I still don't believe they have such high numbers for specialty matching. Where are the numbers from? Is there a website that you can link me to for confirmation?

I've never seen a website that lists this sort of information. But the specialty match listings are located in the elevators of UoP :)

ecdoesit said:
i m just curious how do they decide which area to get into if they only get 3 yrs of exposure.

That's a common misconception. Take a look at their website and you'll see that they actually cram 4 years of exposure into 3 calendar years. No one at UOP is getting any less of an education in amount or quality of material/exposure.

Well, if we are having 8-5 schedule almost everyday. It is hard to imagine how you could squeeze another year into our hectic schedule. Basically, we have 1 wk of spring break, about 2 wks of winter break, 2 wk off in june and 3 wks of in september. that's about 8 wks. i know you guys start way early like in june or july, so another 3 months. technically, you have to skip all those time off and start early in order to receive the "same amount of education" I guess I shouldnt be whining cos that's how real life is. Usually we get 2 wks of vacation. is that how it works?

also, how do they prepare you for a particular specialty exposure? is it like you do a minimum on everything. then if u fall in love with something, u could choose to do numerous case of that area?

thanks for clarifying.

JavadiCavity said:
That's a common misconception. Take a look at their website and you'll see that they actually cram 4 years of exposure into 3 calendar years. No one at UOP is getting any less of an education in amount or quality of material/exposure.

Here is Pacifc's claim in their own words:

Pacific Profile

University of the Pacific School of Dentistry, located in the Pacific Heights area of San Francisco, has served the Bay Area community for 107 years. The school was founded in 1896 as the College of Physicians and Surgeons with programs in dentistry, medicine and pharmacy. In 1918, the college focused its education program solely on dentistry but retained its name as the College of Physicians and Surgeons until 1962 when the dental college amalgamated with University of the Pacific. Pacific is a private university with its main campus located in Stockton, California and its law school in Sacramento, California.

The School of Dentistry’s distinct mission is to educate competent beginning dentists in a humanistic environment. The entire school community, from students to administrators, embraces the humanistic philosophy that respects the dignity of each individual and fosters limitless potential for growth.

Pacific is the only dental school in the United States offering an accelerated, year-round predoctoral program where students are able to complete four academic years of instruction in three calendar years. This allows students the opportunity to enter private practice or specialty programs one year earlier than other dental schools. The school is also the originator of such curricular innovations as comprehensive patient care and competency-based education. Currently, the School of Dentistry has almost 500 students enrolled in six educational programs, including: predoctoral program leading to a DDS degree; two-year International Dental Studies program for foreign-trained dentists; two-year Graduate Orthodontic program; one-year Advanced Education in General Dentistry program; four-year residency program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery at the Highland General Hospital, Alameda County Medical Center; and a three-year hygiene program leading to a bachelor’s degree in dental hygiene.

In June 2000, Pacific underwent an extensive review process by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The commission granted Pacific full approval of its DDS, AEGD and Graduate Orthodontic programs with 18 superlative commendations and no recommendations for improvements. "There have been only a few other dental schools with no recommendations, but none with so many commendations in key areas such as mission, competencies, evaluation, curriculum, planning and faculty development," said Dr. Arthur A. Dugoni, dean.

And, there's more posturing going on if you want to read it. I have no idea how they squeeze 4 academic years into 3 calendar years, but they claim to do it, and the Commission on Dental Accreditation doesn't seem to think Pacific is doing anything wrong.

As far as exposure to specialties, I'll say this. I was interviewing at VCU and Micihgan, schools with a most of, if not all of, the specialties. I talked to a couple of seniors and asked them if they wanted to specialize. Some of them said yes. Specifically, one of the girls wanted to do Ortho. I asked her how much Ortho she had done during school, and she said no more than the minimum requirements because all of the complicated or advanced cases were referred to the residents. I asked her how she knew she wanted to do ortho, and she said, "I did an externship, and I think it'll be fun."

Whether or not I'll get more exposure to a specifc specialty seems irrelevant when I'm compared to the majority of applicants. It appears that the way dental curriculum's are set up prevent students from gaining what I would consider adequate experience with a specialty that they'd like to apply to. All that being said, Pacific only has the Ortho specialty at their Pacific Heights campus. And, according to Pacific professors who have taught at other institutions, they believe that students at Pacific get a more exposure to oral surgery, endodontics, prosthodontics, and perio, than most other dental students.

In the end, students from all over the country get into specialty programs regardless of what dental school they attend.

ironlung said:

HAHA, I can't believe this,
I too was amazed when I first read Ironlungs numbers, they are quite amazing especially if you look at a class size of 138. The way he lied about it, that would mean 25% are specializing in something other than GPR/AEGD. RIDICULOUS.
In fact so ridiculous I had to call my cousin who goes there and get the scoop from him.

Here is the REAL scoop everyone, breath easy, UOP hasn't turned into some specializing fiend, ironlung is just pumping himself up, who knows, he probably is just going on to a GPR/AEGD, (I'm not saying those are a bad option) but he fails to mention what he is doing?????!!!!!!!!!

ACTUAL NUMBERS

PEDO-8
OMFS-3
ORTHO-4
PROS/ENDO 1-3 A PIECE.

These numbers aren't terrible, there are in fact average to respectable, but a specialty rate of closer to 10-14% percent of nonAEGD/GPR is much more believable for UOP. Ironlung, get the numbers straight or don't post, I don't care for false info.

(bytheway, an additional 23-24 students are going on to GPR/AEGD from UOP, perhaps Ironlung is just confused)

Suffolktri

suffolktri said:
HAHA, I can't believe this,
I too was amazed when I first read Ironlungs numbers, they are quite amazing especially if you look at a class size of 138. The way he lied about it, that would mean 25% are specializing in something other than GPR/AEGD. RIDICULOUS.
In fact so ridiculous I had to call my cousin who goes there and get the scoop from him.

Here is the REAL scoop everyone, breath easy, UOP hasn't turned into some specializing fiend, ironlung is just pumping himself up, who knows, he probably is just going on to a GPR/AEGD, (I'm not saying those are a bad option) but he fails to mention what he is doing?????!!!!!!!!!

ACTUAL NUMBERS

PEDO-8
OMFS-3
ORTHO-4
PROS/ENDO 1-3 A PIECE.

These numbers aren't terrible, there are in fact average to respectable, but a specialty rate of closer to 10-14% percent of nonAEGD/GPR is much more believable for UOP. Ironlung, get the numbers straight or don't post, I don't care for false info.

(bytheway, an additional 23-24 students are going on to GPR/AEGD from UOP, perhaps Ironlung is just confused)

Suffolktri

Perio has 0 hotness.
The good thing is that, considering the GPR as a fourth year dental school, their chance of specializing afterwards is pretty high. That is, if they want to.

JavadiCavity said:
I asked her how she knew she wanted to do ortho, and she said, "I did an externship, and I think it'll be fun."

Oooh, good answer! This student definitely shows a true interest in pursuing ortho.

:rolleyes:

(note the sarcasm)

I'd like to know the actual numbers from UOP, and I admit that I didn't even wonder about the credibility of Ironlung's numbers.

So now its his word vs. your cousins word?

I'm pretty sure from looking at some of Ironlung's old posts that he is going into oral surgery.

suffolktri said:
ironlung is just pumping himself up, who knows, he probably is just going on to a GPR/AEGD, (I'm not saying those are a bad option) but he fails to mention what he is doing?????!!!!!!!!!
He'll be doing Custodial Engineering!!!

JavadiCavity said:
I'd like to know the actual numbers from UOP, and I admit that I didn't even wonder about the credibility of Ironlung's numbers.

I'm pretty sure from looking at some of Ironlung's old posts that he is going into oral surgery.

It should be listed in the elevator bulletin boards. Can't you just go check?

JavadiCavity said:

I agree with you Java, it would sound sketchy if it were just "from a friend, who heard from a friend, his cousin,...etc..." I agree. To settle that though we made sure to talk to a member of the Administrative staff to get the exact data. Feel free to speak with anyone in the office and they will verify my numbers, I'm not discounting everything ironlung has said in the past, only to say he misrepresented your schools information in this case and it is misleading to other schools and predents, a genuine disservice to all.

In review of Ironlungs old posts he seems that he might be interning for a year at the OMFS program he hopes to go to the second time around, I may be reading it differently than you,

Thanks for making me clarify-
suffolk

i am a 1st year at uop, and the #'s are more like those reported by the cousin. although he did forget to mention that there are 2 or 3 going perio (can't remember exactly). i have no idea the breakdown numbers of applied/accepted, those numbers aren't published. i do know that some of the people going gpr/aegd are doing so in order to specialize next year.