Specialty placement and minorities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papichulo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a random question that I was just thinking about. I know that some dental schools have affirmitive action which can potentially admit people with lower qualifications based on his/her race. I was wondering if this is the same with specialty placement? Let's say I am a white male and want to become an orthodontist. I need to graduate top 5% in my class and 95+ on the boards. Now lets say I am a minority woman. Now can I apply to a specialty program wile graduating #10 in my class with 91 on my boards? I am NOT trolling or trying to dispute if affirmitive action is right, I am just wondering!

Members don't see this ad.

With all other things being equal, I think a bigger deciding factor is who do you know and how big a check can daddy make to the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a random question that I was just thinking about. I know that some dental schools have affirmitive action which can potentially admit people with lower qualifications based on his/her race. I was wondering if this is the same with specialty placement? Let's say I am a white male and want to become an orthodontist. I need to graduate top 5% in my class and 95+ on the boards. Now lets say I am a minority woman. Now can I apply to a specialty program wile graduating #10 in my class with 91 on my boards? I am NOT trolling or trying to dispute if affirmitive action is right, I am just wondering!

I hope not. I've helped interview potential residents for 3 years and at least where I am, minority status is worth about the same as if you "put your pants on one leg at a time or both together"... which is the way it should be in my opinion. No sex or race or daddy's alma mateur status should be used as a factor in my opinion.

Is the answer to this question going to change the way you work in dental school?

No.

Then what's the point of asking, besides starting this same old tired argument?

Here's the answer: No one here knows, and it's not important. Work your tail off and get the grades you need, and then you won't have to worry about anyone but yourself since you've prepared yourself to your potential.

i give preference to hot chicks

i give preference to hot chicks

I guess that's why you guys match the bottom few on your lists and they're all dudes.

You better turn off your gaydar, and make sure not to drop the forceps.

I hope not. I've helped interview potential residents for 3 years and at least where I am, minority status is worth about the same as if you "put your pants on one leg at a time or both together"... which is the way it should be in my opinion. No sex or race or daddy's alma mateur status should be used as a factor in my opinion.

What if you don't wear pants because you are a hot chick?

Stop worrying. You have a higher chance of being struck down by lightning than by a hard-charging minority orthodontist who happens to be female.

I got caught in the middle of an arguement between two ortho faculty this year, apparently one pushes to interview every minority app that applies, the other did not

Stop worrying. You have a higher chance of being struck down by lightning than by a hard-charging minority orthodontist who happens to be female.
Crap, I am sooooo scared of lighting, now you made it worse! J/k

You really have nothing to worry about. I am no Howard advocate, but Howard puts out more minority orthodontists than anyone and has for years now, so unless that was number on your list: relax.