Specialty preferences for females vs males

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a website or previous forum thread I can go to that discusses or has statistics for the distribution of female vs male doctors in each specialty? I couldn't find one via the search function.

I am wondering this because it seems like female doctors often have different lifestyle needs than male doctors if they plan to have children. I was wondering whether there are certain specialties that will allow the female physician to fufill such a role if desired. I think more female physicians tend toward fam med and pediatrics...but is this true, necessarily?

Members don't see this ad.

Is there a website or previous forum thread I can go to that discusses or has statistics for the distribution of female vs male doctors in each specialty? I couldn't find one via the search function.

I am wondering this because it seems like female doctors often have different lifestyle needs than male doctors if they plan to have children. I was wondering whether there are certain specialties that will allow the female physician to fufill such a role if desired. I think more female physicians tend toward fam med and pediatrics...but is this true, necessarily?

yes. Family med, peds and OB/GYN are skewed towards females.

but you can find other specialties that allow for a good quality of life....there's physician surveys online somewhere. I don't remember the website offhand though.

i realize that this may be reinforcing stereotypes, but what about dermatology?

Members don't see this ad :)
i realize that this may be reinforcing stereotypes, but what about dermatology?

you mean...

12-medical-specialty-stereotypes-full.jpg

you mean, these stereotypes? :D one of my friends who's a m4 currently has this comic on his fridge. when he said he could see me going into derm, I was really insulted.

you mean...

12-medical-specialty-stereotypes-full.jpg

you mean, these stereotypes? :D one of my friends who's a m4 currently has this comic on his fridge. when he said he could see me going into derm, I was really insulted.

I :love:LOVE:love: Michelle Au. Wellesley grad representin'!