below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
USA
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey guys,

I was wondering if DOs are able to get into the more competitive residencies such as Ophthalmology (which is my goal)...I know the majority of them go into Peds or IM, but I am just curious if it is possible.

Thanks,

J :) :)

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Are they able to? Of course....are the odds with you? Not really. Ophto is one of the most difficult residencies for allopathic to get and many people that get those ones (not all) get it the residency because their school as a residency program and they researched with a guy in the department, or the school just shows preference to their own....I am not sure what the deal is or if there are any Osteopathic versions of it...but that appears to be the situation with allopathic versions. I am not saying it is impossible...but you'd help your chances by doing a rotation at a hospital with an ophto program, research in the field, and then smashing the boards...along with a very strong rec. Others with more experience will probably tell you more on these boards though.

OP
DrFeelgoodMD

DrFeelgoodMD

below is a TRUE avatar...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 15, 2005
USA
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
so you think it would help that I have worked for 4 years with an MD in an ophthalmology dept....not to mention that I have family in that dept. as well?

HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
The Lone Star State
Status
Attending Physician
UVMTrifecta said:
so you think it would help that I have worked for 4 years with an MD in an ophthalmology dept....not to mention that I have family in that dept. as well?
Of course it helps. You should talk to them now though. They may have a policy of not looking at DOs.

DOs in the opthalmology forum will be the most helpful to contact for questions.