Specific Letters of Recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarora11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying for the 2011 cycle when it opens and I already have a general idea of which professors I will ask to write a letter of rec for me. For now its 2 of my Physiology teachers, my Econ teacher, and the general dentist I shadowed. I also could get one from the professor I do research for (I was advised against this), or my old Ochem teacher. I believe I can get good/great ones from the first 4 I mentioned. I've began patrolling SDN a lot these days, and unfortunately I have seen that some schools require letters of rec from specific subjects. I came across a thread which said Tufts requires a letter from a Bio professor. I never spoke to my Bio professor, but I definitely spoke to tutors/preceptors for help in Bio, as well as chem and ochem mainly, but unfortunately did not really establish a connection with the professors. So I guess my question is, do most schools require the basic 2 sciences-1 other-1 dent LOR spreadsheet, or do a lot of schools require specifics? And lastly a personal question, would my Physiology teachers count as Bio? Or do they specifically need Bio?

Thanks guys :diebanana:

Members don't see this ad.

I plan on applying for the 2011 cycle when it opens and I already have a general idea of which professors I will ask to write a letter of rec for me. For now its 2 of my Physiology teachers, my Econ teacher, and the general dentist I shadowed. I also could get one from the professor I do research for (I was advised against this), or my old Ochem teacher. I believe I can get good/great ones from the first 4 I mentioned. I've began patrolling SDN a lot these days, and unfortunately I have seen that some schools require letters of rec from specific subjects. I came across a thread which said Tufts requires a letter from a Bio professor. I never spoke to my Bio professor, but I definitely spoke to tutors/preceptors for help in Bio, as well as chem and ochem mainly, but unfortunately did not really establish a connection with the professors. So I guess my question is, do most schools require the basic 2 sciences-1 other-1 dent LOR spreadsheet, or do a lot of schools require specifics? And lastly a personal question, would my Physiology teachers count as Bio? Or do they specifically need Bio?

Thanks guys :diebanana:

I'm sure physiology will count as a biology. I'm not sure what most schools require. I would visit the websites of the schools you are interested in and find out what they require as LORs and pre-requisites. Some of the schools that I looked at required psychology and philosophy. Some schools want at least 2 LORs from science professors. This includes general biology and general chemistry, as well as your upper level courses like physiology, histology, endocrinology, organic chem, biochem, etc.
Also, unless you are plan on sending a committee letter, AADSAS will only allow you to submit 4 LORs. Just something to keep in mind...